Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to decide on a Type 1 -> Type 2 cable and I was wondering if anyone here has one of the coiled cables that various sites are now selling? Leaning towards either a straight or coiled 3m orange one, but would be good to get some advice.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
I've got an 8m coiled. The best thing is that it does not spread out so much on the ground and picks up less dirt. The coiled length is really compact, perhaps 2 m, but obviously expands.
And I think they look better when they're hooked up ;)

It can just about be seen on this photo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
When I last checked you have to use a Yellow coiled cable to use the few points provided by Brighton Council.. Some one was playing Health and Safety 'what if' when they came up with that idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got an 8m coiled. The best thing is that it does not spread out so much on the ground and picks up less dirt. The coiled length is really compact, perhaps 2 m, but obviously expands.
And I think they look better when they're hooked up ;)

It can just about be seen on this photo:

Wow, that's an 8m cable?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yes, I like that it does not result in a massive pile on the ground.

However, in practice it may not be possible to utilise the full 8 m as there will probably be quite a lot of tension if it was fully stretched out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My C Zero came with a straight (5m?) cable that will reach even if I park with the front of the car by the charging post. A coiled one wouldn't.
On the other hand a coiled one wouldn't end up tangled up with the granny lead ever time I need to use one.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
From what I gather a 5m coiled is the equivalent of a 3m normal, and 8m coiled a 5m normal.

Reactions: captainwonkish

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive heard thata normal cable if coiled would induce heat. Have these coiled cables been ingeneerd so they dont induce heat? Whats the science here?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Ive heard thata normal cable if coiled would induce heat. Have these coiled cables been ingeneerd so they dont induce heat? Whats the science here?
The science is that it isn’t being coiled as such that causes a problem, it’s cramming a large amount of cable into a small space such that the heat can’t get out. In particular, wrapped around a reel with several layers means that the inner layers have no contact at all with free air.

So the worst case for this is with typical 13A socket extension leads - the relatively thin and flexible cable lends itself to being wrapped tightly with no air gaps, and is often only barely good enough in the first place.

Most type2 cables are too stiff to easily wind up into a coil tight enough to matter (though you could probably do it if you tried really hard, or packed into a box for example). They are also normally rated generously- 6mm^2 cable is commonly used for a 32A-rated lead, where 4mm^2 would be the bare minimum.

So the “strechy” cables are probably slightly worse than a standard cable in typical use, but on the other hand they are stiffer so harder to do something really stupid with them.

The idea that the coiled shape has some magnetic or inductive effect (“it looks like a solenoid!) is a myth. Current is flowing equally in the L and N wires, so any such effects cancel out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts