Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an interesting chat with a Pheasant, punched a hole in grill then flew off. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Should have used the one on the BBQ not the MG. ;)
More seriously, is it just the grille that's broken or have any of the mounting points broken? And is it the grille or the charge point cover?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice big hole in the side part of the grill, the charge flap (which is well documented as being flimsy) is absolutely fine, strong as an ox in fact.

IMG_20200520_101211.jpg

Looks like 1 of the mounting points on the charge port area is damaged so it will be a bit more than just the outer grill I expect.

£150 excess, considering the job will be a bumper off, HV disable, new grill and potentially new charging port I think this excess cost isn't bad.

Shit happens unfortunately. Had the pheasant hit the charging flap I doubt there would have been any damage.

IMG_20200520_101202.jpg

Lots of dead flies as I had to drive the car later in the evening and went through a cloud of midges. As you'll see the radiator is unscathed, it was splattered in bird poop and a few feathers. Phew!

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
610 Posts
Very sorry to read about your damage, really annoying when the car is new and the unplanned expense. Made me think of the 1970’s / 80’s when fitting Bull Bars were all the rage, they would have protected the front end, wouldn’t do much for aerodynamics mind.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Murphy's law it would have gone between the bars on a bull bar and still damaged the grille. They are surprisingly heavy birds to hit, although I suspect that it will have done for the bird as well.

Meanwhile the Aussie's make this "nudge bar", although it seems more suitable for law enforcement than cruising the lanes in England. It wouldn't protect you from a 'Roo.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
A bit of a “Synthetic” plastic type taste ?. :unsure:
I wonder what the wait time will be on a new grill ?.
Not a nice thing to happen to your car @Sandy sorry.
But it could have been worse I guess.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the process started yesterday, repairer called me, asked for pictures so they can assess remotely and then they'll order parts. They will be in touch when parts arrive because 1. this may take some time due to coronavirus, 2. the MG isn't a common car so wait may be longer than typical Ford parts for example and 3. to minimise the time I'd be without the car, no point in it sitting in a yard when its just light damage (some gaffer tape can be used to protect it).

Reactions: Carty

·
Zoe Devotee
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Well the process started yesterday, repairer called me, asked for pictures so they can assess remotely and then they'll order parts. They will be in touch when parts arrive because 1. this may take some time due to coronavirus, 2. the MG isn't a common car so wait may be longer than typical Ford parts for example and 3. to minimise the time I'd be without the car, no point in it sitting in a yard when its just light damage (some gaffer tape can be used to protect it).
Bugger !. 🤦‍♂️

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
162 Posts
This is the reason having the charge port on the front is not a good idea. Although on this occasion it wasn’t damaged, had it been and the car couldn’t be charged, for the sake of essentially cosmetic or otherwise minor damage from a common bird strike, the car becomes unusable. The same would be if you’d had a bumper-to-bumper in slow traffic. It was always a concern when I had my Z0E but not with my i3.
Hopefully, in time, they’ll all migrate to the side of the car.
I suppose it’s a bit like the fifties and sixties when manufacturers were putting the filler caps everywhere just to be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
This is the reason having the charge port on the front is not a good idea. Although on this occasion it wasn’t damaged, had it been and the car couldn’t be charged, for the sake of essentially cosmetic or otherwise minor damage from a common bird strike, the car becomes unusable. The same would be if you’d had a bumper-to-bumper in slow traffic. It was always a concern when I had my Z0E but not with my i3.
I suppose it’s a bit like the fifties and sixties when manufacturers were putting the filler caps everywhere just to be different.

I do agree that the charge port is more vulnerable at the front of the car due to the reasons you have stated, but I think a few manufactures made the decision to place it at the front for easy of parking prior to placing the car on charge.
Some of the charging posts have short charging cables, so your reversing has to be very accurate, or you will find yourself having to get back into the car and reposition it once again !.
That can become a little annoying after a while.
Some folks find reversing into a tight space hard work, even with a reversing camera !.
So for them, the charging port on the front is a massive help.
When Tesla Bjorn was pulling his large trailer with his model X - he had to use three spaces in order to charge the car side on, or remove the trailer first !.
He said a charging port at the front would have been great help then.
I have seen many of his videos where a Tesla has been poorly parked, and the cable from the rapid is SO tight, it is like a guitar string.
I guess it‘s a :- “Six of one, and half a dozen of the other“ situation really ?.
On some occasions it would better placed at the rear and on other occasions you would like it placed at the front.
He use to find that front charging ports where more prone to freezing up due to the driving snow and “Smutts” from the road also in Norway.
Win some, loose some.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
All of the above are down to the design of the charging stations being for charge points at the nose. Remember back to ICE refueling - they are drive in drive out. By far the most efficient in terms of space and ease of use, particularly those that cannot reverse well such as those with impaired neck rotation and limited peripheral vision.
The main benefit of a charge point on the nose of the car is for those who park nose in to their property. However, that will be the minority once EVs are more widely adopted.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

As I pointed out, the charge flap is undamaged, and had the bird hit the flap it would likely have survived fine fine. Seems way more substantial than reviewers claim, equally as strong as my Zoe main flap was. Side flaps are great.... but your forced to reverse in to spaces, forced to pick a single space and if that one is occupied you might if your luck and the cable is long enough reach from the other space if you park at a weird angle.

cant you just buy a grille off a petrol version from a scrappy - and cut a hole out ?
Why would you fit a different grill (ICE model may be same outline shape but that's it) hack it about and fit it Heath Robinson style in a 3 month old car? £150 excess isn't that bad really. However if the vented part of the grill had been a tiny bit more substantial it probably wouldn't have broke in the first place. :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is the reason having the charge port on the front is not a good idea.
Exactly. I've never understood why when there is an ICE variant with a side filler they didn't do what VW did with the eGolf and put the CCS charge port where the ICE car has a fossil filler. Unless MG needed a lot of space to put separate DC and AC charge ports side by side for the Chinese market AKA Nissan LEAF which has the DC (CHAdeMO) side by side with the Type 1 or Type 2 AC (depending on generation LEAF and market).

·
Journeyman Human
449 Posts
Exactly. I've never understood why when there is an ICE variant with a side filler they didn't do what VW did with the eGolf and put the CCS charge port where the ICE car has a fossil filler. Unless MG needed a lot of space to put separate DC and AC charge ports side by side for the Chinese market AKA Nissan LEAF which has the DC (CHAdeMO) side by side with the Type 1 or Type 2 AC (depending on generation LEAF and market).
Yes, MG did need space for duel charge options for the domestic market, this is why the flap is so big, it was altered on the cheap for CCS.

Chinese version:

thequint_2019-04_ffd2a691-1139-49c2-8856-24ef9be76ffe_MG_eZS_charging.jpg

1 - 20 of 55 Posts