Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to charge at the Ecotricity rapid charger at Ikea last week. The dashboard message displayed 'Battery Charging Impossible' - a familiar message as this happened a lot when my home charger was first installed.

I called Ecotricity who advised that they could see that I was plugged in, but that the car was not requesting a charge. They said that early Zoes (which mine is) needed a software update in order to use a rapid charger.

Took the car in on Wednesday for the software update. Took it back to Ikea on Thursday. Same problem.

Dealership is investigating before taking the car back in, but can anyone shed any light on this?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Try opening the charge door on your car, then lock the car, shut the door and see if the message is gone and then try and recharge. But push it shut a bit harder than normal

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I don't understand. To shut the charge door I have to disconnect the cable. As soon as I do that the message disappears anyway. The message only displays when I've plugged the cable in and it's trying to charge.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Oh I use to get it about 20min into the charge, and the message use to stay until I shut the charge door ferm. Sorry your problem is all new to me

·
536 Posts
I've had the battery charge impossible message a couple of times. The only way I've resolved it is to wait a while and try a different charger. I have a suspicion that the ZOE is a bit fussy about the charging (earth impedance and stuff like that), so if anything looks amiss, then it decides it can't charge. When the garage tests the car out they do it with a well set up charge point that behaves itself and not surprisingly everything checks out fine. Which IKEA was it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. It was Bristol, which is quite a new install. Plot has thickened slightly in that (a) when questioned by Renault, Ecotricity suddenly aren't sure where their info about 'early' Zoe's comes from and (b I tried the Ecotricity rapid charger at Leigh Delamere today which worked, but only at 7kw as far as I could see (1% charge per 2 mins).

Renault dealer is collecting car tmrw to run 2 more software patches and if that doesn't work they will replace the charging socket (BPC?). Can't fault the dealer on this one, although they are learning along with me they are doing what they can. I've read several forum threads on this subject and I think your diagnosis of an over sensitive charging system is probably right. Whether Renault HQ will get it sorted remains to be seen!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just had the "battery charging impossible" meesage for first time - very scary. What happens is each time I use my home Rolec charger the inbuilt (in the Charging Pod) circuit breaker trips out after varying lengths of time. The last couple of time I just reset it and it's okay but this time Zoe objected and refused to charge anymore. After a bit of messing around , locking , unlocking, slamming door, beating with stick , plugging/unplugging - she relented and is now taking charge. I tried ringing Rolec and they weren't much help and I am suspicious that the car is at fault and not the charger, anyone else had problems ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This happened to me right at the outset. We had a specific circuit for the charger, with a circuit breaker, connected via a fuse board which also had a circuit breaker. Disabling one of the circuit breakers did the trick. Disclaimer: I am not an electrician and you should take professional advice! From memory. Chargemaster told me that the Zoe increases the charge rate after 20 mins, which was when mine used to trip.

Back on thread topic, a further software update seems to have fixed the rapid charging issue. Until I've proved it to myself several times I shan't be entirely confident but fingers crossed ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
The EVSE-charging station solicits the available charge to the EV through a signal on one of the wires in the charging cable. The available charge being solicited is determined by the hardware in the charging station and the charging cable being used. The rating of the charging station hardware must be equal to or less than the rating of the electrical circuit and the breaker in the main panel for that circuit. The EV should never draw more current than is being solicited by the charging station signal. If the Zoe increases the charge rate after 20 minutes (in other words, it starts at a reduced rate), that is fine, but it still should never increase past the limit being solicited by the charging station.

If the EV is tripping RCBOs or breakers in the charging circuit then something is wrong either with the EV, with the charging station, or with the circuit.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Thanks for your response Lee. I have limited electrical knowledge but had an idea that there could be a problem with the EV, the circuit or the charging unit but was hoping someone might have an idea which. Looking at some other posts my suspicion is falling on the car itself.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The fact that the breaker is/was tripping indicates that the car is drawing more current than the breaker is rated. So, if that breaker is rated equal-to or greater than the charging station's rating, then either there is a problem with the car or with the charging protocol given by the charging station. The only way to know which of the two is correct is to examine the protocol... and that's not going to be easy for you to do unless you have an oscilloscope and can connect it to watch the PWM on the pilot in the cable... and the latter part of that will be tough unless you can get into the charging station safely.

I am not familiar with the Zoe, but if there is a display in the car as to what current it is trying to draw, then that may provide some clues, but it still wouldn't pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
To my mind the fact that it happens at different times , and today , after 20 minutes, would indicate that the car is calling for too much current as I can see no reason for the charging unit to change it's "protocol" during the cycle. However the installer told me it needed a "c" type breaker to handle the initial surge and this he has installed in the circuit but I have no idea if Rolec use this type for the inboard breaker , nor can they tell me !!

·
Registered
707 Posts
It does seem odd that the car would decide to increase its current draw after 20 minutes... unless that has something to do with conditioning of the batteries or something... or because of the need to cool the batteries more after 20 minutes of charging. I would guess that chances are good that this is an issue with the car's charger and not with the charging station or the circuit... but there's no way to be certain with what we have to go on so far. It may not be tripping breakers at other locations simply because the circuit rating and charging station rating are greater than the Zoe charger ever draws, even after 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
YouTube user (And Speak EV Member!) "Alloam" is documenting his experiences with his new Zoe,and reported this warning coming up as he was finishing a fast charge at an IKEA..he commented the display would clear once he plugged in again to a regular charge unit..he had nothing about the cause,just the fix!-(edit) With My Zoe,I've only had this warning before charging has started,so have been unable to continue..I've met this issue at 2 different stations now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts