Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am about to place an order for an Ohme wall box. Mainly because it looks neat and tidy and I’ll be using it with Octopus go tariff. I have an e-golf. In the future I am interested in trying the Agile tariff.

I can schedule off peak charging and pre heat from my car, so I expect I don’t need the majority of the functionality of the Ohme, whilst I am on the Go tariff.

If I was to use the Ohme app to schedule the charging (for example with Agile tariff, how would this work with a scheduled pre heat which I will set from the car? I assume that Ohme would cut the power when its above a certain price and then the car will not be able to use the mains supply for the pre heat?

Anyone aware of how this is usually managed? Should I just go for a simple Rolec unit?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think there comes a point where innovation becomes so complicated that it is more hindrance than help.

I think you just identified that point. Get a basic unit IIWY.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I am on Octopus Energy’s Agile tariff and I have looked hard at Ohme and the convenience that it offers. I confess that I hadn’t given much thought to preconditioning.

I presently have a Rolec that is giving me some problems. I may have to change the communications unit which is a simple process for an electrician. I suspect that changing a faulty component in an Ohme box may be in a different league of complexity.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked my question to the chap from Ohme and he said he doesn’t know how it will be possible and will ask the development team. That was a week ago. I’m surprised the scenario hasn’t been raised before as pre conditioning seems such a bit part of typical EV ownership.

With the grant im only looking at about £300 for a smart charger, so I expect im not going to see a significant saving if I moved to a commando unit and cable so I think ill go for a simple charger (Rolec does seem fairly common and looks OK) and then if it goes wrong in the future ive got the cabling there to swap it to a dumb commando unit. I don’t particularly like being at the mercy of a complicated wall charger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Chargemaster box 7kW and I also use the (black) Ohme charger cable on my B250e with Octopus Go (5p/kWh from 0:30 - 4:30). However it keeps stopping before the battery is fully charged. I have been informed by Ohme that they are still in the process of adding the Mercedes App / API support.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I asked my question to the chap from Ohme and he said he doesn’t know how it will be possible and will ask the development team. That was a week ago. I’m surprised the scenario hasn’t been raised before as pre conditioning seems such a bit part of typical EV ownership.

With the grant im only looking at about £300 for a smart charger, so I expect im not going to see a significant saving if I moved to a commando unit and cable so I think ill go for a simple charger (Rolec does seem fairly common and looks OK) and then if it goes wrong in the future ive got the cabling there to swap it to a dumb commando unit. I don’t particularly like being at the mercy of a complicated wall charger.
I think you can set the cable to allow power through at any preset time. I have not tried it yet.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
I’m using an Ohme box with my e-Golf, I just use it as a ‘dumb box’ though as I have next to zero mobile signal where I live.

You can set up the app that pairs with the Ohme to do all sorts, but you can switch all the smart charging functionality off so it works just like any other wall charger.

In fact, it does that by default until you set it all up.

The support folks at Ohme are first rate as well, very helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In the same boat, just had my Ohme smart charger installed and it’s been arguing with my eGolf constantly, each reporting that the other has stopped unexpectedly.
I’m not on any sort of smart tariff at the moment (smart meter upgrades are not happening for a while in my area) so I think I’ll investigate putting it into a dumb mode and have the car sort out the schedule and preconditioning.
Any tips or advice would be welcome from those who’ve done this already.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All, apologies for joining this thread quite some time after your conversations, but i am in the same scenario as above (VW e-Golf and Ohme wall charger). I recently collected my car last week and experienced issues when attempting to charge. When plugged in via the wall charger and ohme app, the car gives no indication of whether it is charging or not (no state of charge on digital display or duration of charge remaining).
The car net app also does not 'see' that the car is plugged in.
I can't set the scheduled charging on the ohme app but can tell it to 'add' X amount of miles in the set time given (i.e - add 80 miles between 0030-0430). When i do this the lights flash continually - indicating an error - but when checking on the car in the morning it seems to have charged ok.

I just wanted to know if your charging situation and experience between the charger and car had improved and whether you have any tips and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’d be interested in this thread, I tested an Ohme type 2-2 cable in my dumb Chargemaster untethered unit when I had an e-Golf on 48 hour test. It kept setting off the car alarm when it activated charge mode (from trickle) when set-up to use Go at 12:30am, which my wife was “very understanding” ? about

·
Registered
128 Posts
eGolf can preheat from battery so that’s what I do.

When the Ohme cable is connected and working the lights cycle around in a way that looks like it’s errored but is apparently meant to be like that. Charging all seems to work fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If I was to use the Ohme app to schedule the charging (for example with Agile tariff, how would this work with a scheduled pre heat which I will set from the car? I assume that Ohme would cut the power when its above a certain price and then the car will not be able to use the mains supply for the pre heat?
That's a very good point. I had been thinking that since installing my Ohme charger and using pre-conditioning on my i3 that the range didn't seem to have increased any more on the first journey of the day, from when I was using the granny charger, and so was pre-conditioning actually having any effect...

I had completely not twigged that as the Ohme charger has cut the supply to the car once it reaches full charge that it's just doing the cabin pre-heat and not battery pre-conditioning.
Sound like the Ohme software/app needs an update that allows it to connect the power during the cheap tariff time as normal, but then also to add a secondary on time to coincide when battery pre-conditioning is due.
Or actually, for my usage when I move to Go, I would just want it to switch on at 00:30 when Go starts, then keep the power on until I drive away in the morning. That way I get the cheap tariff until the battery has fully charged, then the pre-conditioning can use mains power.
Not sure if this is possible right now, as I'm still waiting for my smart meter to be fitted so essentially using the Ohme as a semi-dumb charger right now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A simple, user defined time for on and off seems to be what would solve many issues, but nobody seems to offer than function.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The problem is that most people forget that it is their EV’s onboard charger that manages the charge. At best, present EVs are designed to accept off peak charging and departure times but, as yet, not API information from a supplier. When using a charging point such as Ohme, I would have thought that car needs to be left on IMMEDIATE CHARGE. The Ohme cable will then turn charging ON and OFF depending on the ToU 30 minute cost and the user level set. I am guessing that with this configuration there is no guarantee that the car will be fully charged for departure time.

There is a fudge for i3 owners using just the inbuilt charging set up. For example, this morning Agile was very cheap for about 90 minutes and, as I could live with less than a full charge, I just set the 90 minute period as off peak with a departure time of 8am Saturday. The car charged for just 90 minutes as it calculated that there are enough 90 minute charging periods left to reach 100% SOC by Saturday without using peak cost power. Effectively an ON/OFF switch with the downside of no battery preconditioning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've actually just realised that the Ohme app does allow you to set up any number of charging schedules, so it already can be setup to do a full charge in the cheap overnight period, then switch back on again later.
It does appear that when no charging schedules are setup (which is the way I use it right now as I don't yet have my smart meter fitted) that it does actually keep the output on anyway when the car reaches full charge (the green light keeps flashing and the charge timer continues to count up on the display), so no reason why pre-conditioning from the mains supply wouldn't work.

So as long as the car gets fully charged within the cheap tariff rate, as long as it leaves the supply connected afterwards then the car should just sit idle drawing no more current until pre-conditioning is required later on.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
So as long as the car gets fully charged within the cheap tariff rate, as long as it leaves the supply connected afterwards then the car should just sit idle drawing no more current until pre-conditioning is required later on.
What you are describing is no different to an EV, such as the i3, and a dumb charger. The advantage of the Ohme cable is its ability to use tariff API information. Having been on Octopus GO; GO Faster and Agile over the past year, my records show that if I was still a daily commuter then GO would come in a few £s cheaper than Agile. The last month or so has been unusual weatherwise so Agile has worked out cheaper - but it isn’t big bucks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What you are describing is no different to an EV, such as the i3, and a dumb charger.
Indeed. The query was more about whether the Ohme cuts the power to the car after the 5p Go tariff finishes at 4.30am (configured through a charge schedule) and thus preventing the car using mains power to pre-condition the battery.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Indeed. The query was more about whether the Ohme cuts the power to the car after the 5p Go tariff finishes at 4.30am (configured through a charge schedule) and thus preventing the car using mains power to pre-condition the battery.
Zappi owners are having the same issue. It appears from reading the MiEnergi forum that the solution for them is to set a second boost charging period. It all sounds like a bit of a fudge. This is why I concluded (even though I am an Agile customer) that the Ohme cable/Wallbox wasn’t for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread (I have just posted similar before finding this one).

Any work-a-rounds found for this? I was going to suggest if you have the Ohme charge schedule set to finish (100% battery every time for the i3s excellent battery management system) at the same time as the departure time in car would the car just ensure the power needed to charge and pre-condition was requested from the charger and it would be available?

Any other info available?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Initially I think I was just over excited at all the tech and wanting to get everything automated and sync'd. After a few months I learned to be a a bit calmer and found that letting the Ohme handle charging according worked just fine. The only thing to get used to is the "adding miles" concept which is consistently more than my real world consumption.
If I wanted to pre-heat I would either simply use the app to set that off a few minutes before I set off, and this would mostly just run off the battery. However, if I wanted to maintain that extra top 1-2% then I'd put the Ohme on max at the same time.
I came to the conclusion that I couldn't consistently hit the exact time of departure anyway so simply triggering preheat manually was just fine.

Probably not the clever solution you were after but that how I found things would work for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts