Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I wanted to pre-heat I would either simply use the app to set that off a few minutes before I set off, and this would mostly just run off the battery. However, if I wanted to maintain that extra top 1-2% then I'd put the Ohme on max at the same time.
Unfortunately, that won’t work. The moment the Ohme sees the car is at 100% it stops charging (even as a dumb charger) meaning any cabin conditioning is done off the battery and not the charger. I assume you mean you switch the Ohme to max after selecting “Climatise Now” in the hope the charger sees the car needs power to the battery (as it’s using it for Climatisation) to get back to 100%?

The lack of battery cell balancing that happens after a full charge is complete but the car remains plugged in is another significant loss.

It really is a poor setup

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's more that I rarely set the charger to top all the way up to 100% so there is usually some head-room for a burst of Max charging when I put the heater on remotely. My commute (there and back) is less than half the range of the battery so I don't need the battery to be full when setting off.
It is a bit frustrating that the two systems don't seemless mesh together to get best-of-both but I found there was more to be gained letting the Ohme do the bulk of the clever stuff given that I'm on Agile. The heater in the Golf is very good so even if I forget to start it in advance I just put it on in the car and the window is clear very quickly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Chargemaster box 7kW and I also use the (black) Ohme charger cable on my B250e with Octopus Go (5p/kWh from 0:30 - 4:30). However it keeps stopping before the battery is fully charged. I have been informed by Ohme that they are still in the process of adding the Mercedes App / API support.
It all works fine now. It was just a matter of understanding the settings I.e.: Charge schedule set to "every morning 100% by 4:30"
I charge when the battery is down to 50%. My car only charges at 3.8kW and it usually takes 4 hours to fully charge the 28kWh battery.
I can precondition with either key fob or departure time setting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess that’s the difference. The i3s battery management system is one of the, if not the best out there and it’s designed to ABC (always be charging) that allows all the clever management and cell balancing to take place. A pre-conditioned battery at the start of a journey is also much better for the battery life and health. Bit like driving away in a properly warmed up ICE

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unfortunately, that won’t work. The moment the Ohme sees the car is at 100% it stops charging (even as a dumb charger)

<snip>

It really is a poor setup
Are you sure that's true? Because I previously assumed that would be the case, but now I actually have my Ohme installed I'm pretty sure that once it reaches 100% charge the mains supply is not cut off from the car, meaning that pre-conditioning the batteries just works as one would expect (i.e from the mains).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you sure that's true? Because I previously assumed that would be the case, but now I actually have my Ohme installed I'm pretty sure that once it reaches 100% charge the mains supply is not cut off from the car, meaning that pre-conditioning the batteries just works as one would expect (i.e from the mains).
That’s what happened today. Curious I set the charger to finish at 3pm and also set the departure time in the car for 3pm. Plugged it in about 11am to give it more than the 3hrs it requires for proper pre-conditioning. At about 2pm the charge graph showed max range and so I select maximum charge turning the display red. About 2 mins after that I got a notification from the app the charger had switched off due to the battery being at 100%. Checked the charger and it displayed 0amps and the green light was on flashing indicating plugged into car but not charging. Ohme technical confirmed the charger cannot do pre-conditioning and selecting max charge did not achieve it either.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts