Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Very simple question. I drum in my car reg on insurance sites, it comes up as "Signature NAV", I click and say "That is not correct" and then select "i Signature NAV" on the list.

Is that normal or do I need to ask Renault to fix it with DVLA? I called DVLA and they said they register whatever Renault tell them to register.

The difference between Signature NAV and i Signature NAV is nothing more than who owns the battery.. but of course that matters when we talk about car "value" for insurance.

Is this a common issue for 'i' owners entering in their reg plate on insurance sites?

·
Registered
255 Posts
If anything, I think the people you'd need to "fix" it with would be your candidate insurers - it's they who need to know what sort of car you are insuring with them!

FWIW my insurer got the random string of characters "RENAULT ZOE EV I S" from my reg number. I figured it had the character "I" in there, so I was OK... and of course the given value for the car was suitably high.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anything, I think the people you'd need to "fix" it with would be your candidate insurers - it's they who need to know what sort of car you are insuring with them!
Thanks James, insurance is fine, I click "This is not my car" and select the correct make/model. I notice the Admiral site truncates the R90 / Q90 bit so you just end up with 2 identical strings to select from for i Signature NAV, so I called them and made sure they selected the R90 one (their computers don't seem to truncate only the customer site does)

FWIW my insurer got the random string of characters "RENAULT ZOE EV I S" from my reg number. I figured it had the character "I" in there, so I was OK
Sounds like there is a mistake in my registration. I'll get that sorted :).

·
Registered
956 Posts
I called DVLA and they said they register whatever Renault tell them to register.
So what does the V5C say? How do you know that you actually have an "i" (other than the fact that you're not paying any battery rental)? This is interesting, I never realised the system was so "flaky"! I would have thought that everything would be computerized and orderly, but it almost sounds as though the salesman types something in when they register the car (please tell me that's not how it works!)

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,745 Posts
So what does the V5C say? How do you know that you actually have an "i" (other than the fact that you're not paying any battery rental)? This is interesting, I never realised the system was so "flaky"! I would have thought that everything would be computerized and orderly, but it almost sounds as though the salesman types something in when they register the car (please tell me that's not how it works!)
No, it’s not the salesman. An “I” Zoe has the vehicle’s description stating same on the B pillar. It’s “hard coded” there from the factory. Can’t be changed by the salesman.

Sounds like the DVLA made an error on the V5C in the OP’s case. My Zoe “i” states as such on the V5C and on the B pillar.

B pillar:

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
No, it’s not the salesman. An “I” Zoe has the vehicle’s description stating same on the B pillar. It’s “hard coded” there from the factory. Can’t be changed by the salesman.
For sure.

Sounds like the DVLA made an error on the V5C in the OP’s case. My Zoe “i” states as such on the V5C and on the B pillar.
This is the bit I was querying. How does the "i" designation get from the B pillar to the DVLA? Somebody must type something at a keyboard somewhere, unless the Renault factory has a direct link to the DVLA's computers or vice versa. ;)

·
1,745 Posts
This is the bit I was querying. How does the "i" designation get from the B pillar to the DVLA? Somebody must type something at a keyboard somewhere, unless the Renault factory has a direct link to the DVLA's computers or vice versa. ;)
Good question. I’ll find out tomorrow.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,423 Posts
AFAIK it is even hard coded in the VIN, but don't press me on it. I seem to remember a certain letter position indicated it. So VERY hard coded.

·
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hmmm. The VIN does code for the different models, e.g.
Q210 : VF1AGVYA
R240 : VF1AGVYB
Q90 : VF1AGVYC
R90 : VF1AGVYF

But isn't it just numbers after that? If so, I'm not sure where the 'i' or non-'i' bit would fit. Infact our battery-leased R240 has the '05' after the VYB, like @Kotek Besar 's 'i' model, indeed our new R90 (when it gets to us) also is '05'..

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't think that it would be in Renault's interest to hard-code the "i" designation into the VIN. If RCI decided to allow battery renters to buy the batteries, like they did for Nissan, they wouldn't be able to change the VINs.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,423 Posts
Yes, but in my memory there is something nagging that this was exactly "final" argument why swapping was not possible. But I can't find the discussion anymore. Oh well. I could be totally wrong. Carry on! ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
V5 misses the 'i'. I know it's an 'i' because the invoice says 'i', there's an 'i' sticker at the back, I asked for an 'i' and if it's anything other than an 'i' I appear to have been simultaneously overcharged for a non-i and am doing pretty well stealing Renault's batteries for 6 months without them noticing :D.

Yes, but in my memory there is something nagging that this was exactly "final" argument why swapping was not possible. But I can't find the discussion anymore. Oh well. I could be totally wrong. Carry on! ;)
I like the idea you could both be right.. that there's a certain digit that usually implies 'i' but is not a given. I was curious enough to Google VINs: Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia

1 - 17 of 17 Posts