Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'd like to buy a Zoe - after being a leaf owner previously. I was wondering if there was anyone near Hassocks that would come and charge their car on my drive so I can see how noisy it is and if anything in the house that "catches" the harmonics? Long shot I know

·
evezy referral code d6540
1,168 Posts
If no one closer volunteers, I wouldn’t mind coming down from East London. I was born in Cuckfield and my grandparents had a farm in Goddards Green so always pleased to visit this area.

·
Registered
944 Posts
It's silent when charging off a 3 pin, if that's relevant.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all,

I'd like to buy a Zoe - after being a leaf owner previously. I was wondering if there was anyone near Hassocks that would come and charge their car on my drive so I can see how noisy it is and if anything in the house that "catches" the harmonics? Long shot I know

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
I’m in Worthing and could drop by or I could film both my Zoe’s charging at home for you as we have the 22kw Zoe and 41kw Zoe if that any good to you

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
146 Posts
There is a noise from the Zoes when charging but they really aren't likely to disturb you. If you're sitting inside the car charging you don't hear it. Same goes if you're inside the house with your windows closed. I wouldn't be too worried.

Odd that somebody here claims 3 pin charging is silent for them. Is anybody else the same? All the ones I drive and work with make the exact same sound on everything from 3 pin to 43kW rapid charge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is a noise from the Zoes when charging but they really aren't likely to disturb you. If you're sitting inside the car charging you don't hear it. Same goes if you're inside the house with your windows closed. I wouldn't be too worried.

Odd that somebody here claims 3 pin charging is silent for them. Is anybody else the same? All the ones I drive and work with make the exact same sound on everything from 3 pin to 43kW rapid charge.
I’ve just recorded this moments ago, 3 pin charging in operation. Standing next to it I can’t hear a thing, the noise on the video is purely background noise and isn’t coming from the Zoe. However, my wife says she can hear a high pitched whine, I therefore assume that some people are tuned in to noise and some are tuned out.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
146 Posts
I’ve just recorded this moments ago, 3 pin charging in operation. Standing next to it I can’t hear a thing, the noise on the video is purely background noise and isn’t coming from the Zoe. However, my wife says she can hear a high pitched whine, I therefore assume that some people are tuned in to noise and some are tuned out.

I can hear the usual noise loud and clear in this video.

I wonder if it is the same as them ultrasonic frequencies that young people can hear but as you get older you become less and less sensitive until you don't hear them at all. Out of curiosity, try going to https://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/ and see how high you can go while still being able to hear the sounds and tell me how high you manage to get. 16.7kHz is the highest I can hear. Would be interesting to compare those who can hear Zoe charging to those who can't.

So just to clarify, do you hear the sound when charging at 32A or not? It sounds like some people say they don't hear it on 3-pin but do at 7 or 22kW. Which makes no sense as to me it seems to be the exact same noise right down to the volume and pitch no matter what it is plugged into.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I can hear it too

My dad can’t hear it when I’m charging at his but it’s clear as day

Doesnt disturb me though

I can hear it through my house electrics also but again it’s right on the edge of my hearing range (I’m 43)

JJ

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I’ll film in the lounge where there is a small amount of noise at night when charging

it’s the charge master tethered cable

not having tethered is bonkers in my eyes as you then end up having to buy another cable to make life easy and have one always plugged in and one always in the boot

JJ

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can hear the usual noise loud and clear in this video.

I wonder if it is the same as them ultrasonic frequencies that young people can hear but as you get older you become less and less sensitive until you don't hear them at all. Out of curiosity, try going to https://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/ and see how high you can go while still being able to hear the sounds and tell me how high you manage to get. 16.7kHz is the highest I can hear. Would be interesting to compare those who can hear Zoe charging to those who can't.

So just to clarify, do you hear the sound when charging at 32A or not? It sounds like some people say they don't hear it on 3-pin but do at 7 or 22kW. Which makes no sense as to me it seems to be the exact same noise right down to the volume and pitch no matter what it is plugged into.
Wow, bit of a shock there, I can only hear the first three :confused: no wonder I can't hear any charging noises!

I'll wait for someone to chuck a bar of chocolate over the fence.... ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts