Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping my sister move to an EV. She currently lives in Lewes, with no off-street parking. With the best will in the world, having looked at the public charging infrastructure there (a couple of 7kW, and a broken rapid), I couldn't recommend an EV to her.

She's moving to Brighton, and I think it's better there. Lots of 3kW Type 2's run by Electric Blue in residential streets. A smattering of 7kW in the car parks. But only 1 rapid for the whole city?!

Anyone who lives there and can give an 'on the ground' report. Do the 3kW tend to be reliable? Are there enough, or are there bunfights over parking spots (given people may well be charging for >24 hours)?

As well as local stuff, she would be doing trips to Hastings and N London.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,670 Posts
Do the 3kW tend to be reliable?
I Can tell you that they were proposed to be used up here too, and after a rather short trial the idea was thrown out. They don't have RFID Card readers so it's app only. While Electric Blue are good and their chargers are reliable with the use of a membership card, their app unfortunately is not. For the most part they do seem to work, and with a fair number of them around it is likely you will get one working, but it's far from ideal.

Depending on what EV she chooses, and how many local miles she does it could still be possible, but will never be as good as having home or workplace charging so there will be times of inconvenience or frustration I'm sure.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
I am around Brighton and shop there weekly. To be honest, the lack of policing of charging bays I would be hesitant to have a smaller capacity EV with no off-street parking facility.
Many areas of public charging are much slower (3kW like you say) those in the shopping areas tend to be poorly maintained and frequently out of order (Pavilion Retail Park as an example - although there is generally 1-2 posts of the 5 working).
Otherwise before times of COVID you would often see charging bays (example along Maderia drive) consumed by commuters parked up for the day.
Rapid charging central and East of Brighton is poor as you have already seen, it gets better to the west over Portslade / Shoreham way, which is where I tend to frequent.
The Electric blue EV charging points along terraced streets are interesting, however I pass at least one weekly and it's always either impossible to get an EV in the space where cars creep into the lines, or outright taken by ICE vehicles.

That's my risk level, it would frustrating to me if I could not get onto one of those 3kW for a longer period of time (or have to park far from home where there might be a free post) where you are looking at only adding 9 Miles/ph, then to suffer the same fate when driving to shopping areas. They have done a great job at plastering 3kW chargers across the city, but now need to get some rapids in place to complement.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think the only one she could rely on and the only rapid so it seems is at shell station BN3 7BD. Even the Tesco does appear not to have fitted any 7kw chargers. In the area there are some CYC operated ones but that operator is totally unreliable making no effort to maintain them. Hastings and London no probs. If the Shell one is not convenient advise not to go EV just yet.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. It doesn't sound enormously promising! It seems like parking in general is problematic enough that she won't be able to rely on finding a spot with a charger.

Annoyingly, the new Gridserve location at Uckfield is reasonably close to her old house, but just a bit far away from Brighton.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
OMG tell her NO!!!!

Sussex generally it terrible for chargers, Brighton has such issues as already outlined.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts