Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: I'm in Canada.
Got a co-worker looking for a 7-seater PHEV. The only one I could suggest was the Volvo. It is a beautiful vehicle inside and out.
Has anyone tried, checked out, did any in-depth analysis of the XC90 T8?
If you have, please share your thoughts and findings.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Note: I'm in Canada.
Got a co-worker looking for a 7-seater PHEV. The only one I could suggest was the Volvo. It is a beautiful vehicle inside and out.
Has anyone tried, checked out, did any in-depth analysis of the XC90 T8?
If you have, please share your thoughts and findings.
Nothing to do with the Volvo, but you folks in North America/Canada have the new Chrysler Pacifica (formerly Town and Country) PHEV with a theoretical 30 mile EV range. Brand new this year. Don't know whether the colleague is looking for a minivan or not though!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I actually didn't know about the Pacifica. I'll inform my colleague.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The AER on the Volvo is only 14 miles / 22.5 kms.
I would've expected more from the Swedes since this is a ground-up rebuild of the XC90.
Doubt anyone will see a T8 on the roads. Probably see more Veyrons than the PHEV Volvo.
Brads, if I were you boss I think a Tesla Model S (which does seat 7) would be a nice companion to the Maserati.
But maybe he's/she's looking for an SUV-ish vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,045 Posts
Probably see more Veyrons than the PHEV Volvo.
It must be a bit different where you live. I don't see many Bugattis but I see a lot of xc90s. The PHEV one will be quite a hit with people wanting a luxury 7 seat 4x4 company car without the tax bill. The EV range is really disappointing though.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Saw one plugged in at the new sports centre in High Wycombe 2 weeks ago - initially thought some XC90 driver had ICEd the charger - then saw the cable!

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,045 Posts
How about a Tesla X?
If I was the sort of person looking at big, premium SUVs, I'd struggle to see past the aesthetics of the X and it's pointlessly complex and odd looking doors. Whatever it's other failings (environmental and social mainly I'd suggest) the XC90 is a beautiful thing by comparison.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The XC90, been on order ages, has been driving the diesel version recently and is impressed.
I wonder if it is the one charging next to me in the car park today? Lovely car..... just needs a better range!

·
Registered
870 Posts
boss has the d5 xc90, it's a very nice place to be, more like the older volvo's emphasis on quality, everything I've read suggest the T8 to be impressive, it's truely amazing what they've done with such small engines!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We purchased the Volvo XC 90 T8 Hybrid recently and really like it. Everyone raves about the interior, and we agree. We thought about the Tesla X, but it was having a lot of bugs at the time. At first we were wondering why Tesla can get 200+ mi range whereas we see only 18mi range on all electric mode for the Volvo. Surely SUVs with all that space could do a little better. But there really isn't much extra space if you still include an internal combustion engine and driveshaft. We find that 80% of our trips are <18mi. Even if we go 36mi, we still get double the "normal" mpg, so we feel good about that. Still, I think these PHEVs will really take off when they hit 40 or 50 mi ranges like the Volt. That is our other car and we love it except for a few eccentricities like chirping twice when on delayed charge mode.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have owned two XC90's in the not too distant past, a petrol (was 3.0 twin turbo) and the diesel D5. They are very convenient if you have a large family and overall the ownership experience is OK, in my view not as nice to drive as the equivalent Land Rover, BMW (X5) or Audi (Q7) and very heavy on fuel - our diesel averaged only 22 mprg which was only 3 mpg better than the petrol. The diesel D5 unit performance and gearbox was very annoying i.e. bad. In my view the build quality falls well short of the equivalent LR / Audi / BMW and my dealer, who was awful, failed to solve niggling issues - on a £60k car this is unacceptable in my view. I think Volvo's reputation for building their cars like tanks and durability is long gone - they are a Ford / GM competitor and fall a long way short of premium.

The driving experience was what you would expect, this is not a car you buy because you enjoy the open road, they roll a lot and are outperformed by the average Ford Focus.
My wife and her friends loved the whole concept, big 4x4's make great family vehicles.
I really liked the interior design and convenience of the space, the max spec Dolby surround hifi with subwoofer was awesome - the best I have ever had and I am really fussy about sound.

Personally I am not a fan of the PHEV idea, as an engineer it just feels like a compromised concept - overly complicated, neither one thing nor another. If you are that worried about range then buy a petrol vehicle and wait a few years - I know some people are buying them in the UK because they are some kind of tax dodge, in which case fair play to them.

If I was in the market for something like an XC90 again I would either buy a Land Rover (which I think is better all round than an XC90) but more likely wait for the BEV version of the Jaguar F Pace.

Whahey!

J

1 - 15 of 15 Posts