Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
15% before you loose the first bar if I recall correctly....

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
644 Posts
Nope but I have managed to lose a full 1% SOH since 21st October, I have covered 4200 miles since then though.

Is this par for the course?

How many miles have you done to be down to 91.95%?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,684 Posts
The battery health on the LEAF jumps all over the place depending on how you use it. Every battery is a little different, and every use case is different too. Checking your SOH is something to do maybe once or twice a year to take a snapshot and get a rough idea, but definitely not worth worrying about.

It's also worth noting that the drop isn't necessarily in a linear fashion either. You may lose the first few percent quite quickly in the early months, but it then typically slows down with age.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have charged to 100% 6 times a week because my car had only covered 3800 miles in its first 2 years which had caused a 93mV battery imbalance.

I’m pleased to report that my imbalance is now only 36mV (currently 8k on the clock) and falling at the rate of about 5mV per week so at this rate should be AOK by about February.

Anyone who has a low cell on a LEAF - drive lots of miles and charge to 100% every night it totally sorts it!

But does it degrade your battery in the process?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope but I have managed to lose a full 1% SOH since 21st October, I have covered 4200 miles since then though.

How many miles have you done to be down to 91.95%?
I have done 21k. I lost 1.8% over a week when the car was 10 months old. :cry:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have done 21k. I lost 1.8% over a week when the car was 10 months old. :cry:
So I just double checked, I have done 9000 miles on my 2018 leaf now.

I got it in September and have put 5300 miles on there, when I got the car it’s SOH as reported by leaf spy was 96.5% with 4358 miles on the clock (3rd September)

I scanned it again on Sunday (6th December) with 8925 miles on clock SOH is now 95.39%.

My car has never been rapid charged but even so I would say your degradation is probably par for the course

If I only loose another 4% over my next 12000 miles I’ll be quite pleased!

I use my vehicle to deliver for my catering business my fuel savings far outweigh my depreciation, I guess it depends what you use your car for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
15 months and 4300 miles later, still got a full bar on the battery screen. I guess you must all have LeafSpy, which I don't, to see the specific battery health. Or is there another way to view it?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
15 months and 4300 miles later, still got a full bar on the battery screen. I guess you must all have LeafSpy, which I don't, to see the specific battery health. Or is there another way to view it?

As far as I’m aware only LeafSpy will let you see the state of health.

the dongle is about £35 and if you buy the pro version of the app I think it’s £20.

It was worth it for me because the imbalance on my battery was so large it equated to about a 10% loss of range.

it showed me the problem and I was able to take the appropriate action to rectify it, it’s also let me monitor the fix so I know it’s working.

Also I prefer cars that auto lock the doors for safety when you drive away, this isn’t an option to switch on via the dash as far as I can see, you can however switch it on in LeafSpy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for your reply @Drewby80 Drewby80. I've always been put off getting LeafSpy because of the phaff associated with getting a dongle that works with it. Read many stories of getting the wrong one. So decided to live without it.

I like the idea of the autolock which I have on our Volvo so will look into it again. Thanks again.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks for your reply @Drewby80 Drewby80. I've always been put off getting LeafSpy because of the phaff associated with getting a dongle that works with it. Read many stories of getting the wrong one. So decided to live without it.

I like the idea of the autolock which I have on our Volvo so will look into it again. Thanks again.

This is the dongle I use, I can vouch that it works flawlessly:

LELink^2 Configurable Auto On/Off Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad and Android LELink^2 Configurable Auto On/Off Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad and Android: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I use an iPhone but it should be just as compatible with android.

it’s only £27 now on Amazon as well!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I might have to spring for a dongle. I’ve now tried twice to get the dealer to give me a proper %age battery SoH when the car is serviced. I wasn’t convinced when the first said they couldn’t, but my second service a5 a different dealer they really seemed to try but said the system was set up by Nissan to only report the bars (which you can see from the display screen anyway).

Other than battery health, what else do people use LeafSpy for?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I might have to spring for a dongle. I’ve now tried twice to get the dealer to give me a proper %age battery SoH when the car is serviced. I wasn’t convinced when the first said they couldn’t, but my second service a5 a different dealer they really seemed to try but said the system was set up by Nissan to only report the bars (which you can see from the display screen anyway).

Other than battery health, what else do people use LeafSpy for?
They can see a little more than just the bars, but you won't get something as clear as what you'd get via dongle and app.

Aside from SOH, the app will also help you to check for weak cells, monitor the temperature when charging, and to see how much charge you really have remaining.

There's also some other little features that allow you to change settings that you can't do in the car itself like auto door locking, pairing the wipers and lights together, removing some beeps and chimes etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do you see how many bars a Leaf 40 has left? I’ve got a Leaf 30, and it’s always there on the right hand side. Is the same true in the newer 40s/60s?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
How do you see how many bars a Leaf 40 has left? I’ve got a Leaf 30, and it’s always there on the right hand side. Is the same true in the newer 40s/60s?
There's a capacity option in the menu that you can scroll to and see how healthy it is. It's not something that's always on show anymore. Same with the battery temperature too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
On my 2018 Leaf 40, the simple answer is to turn it on and then press the up arrow on the steering wheel control. The power used/regen dial will change to the battery capacity. The other two displays that can be accessed from those arrows are battery temperature and time to recharge.

I originally found it by trial and error. Just spent a fruitless half an hour trying to find it in the manual and ended up going out to the car to replicate it instead. It is in the manual at 2-42 for the U.K. version, but I defy anyone to work out how to display it from what it says

1 - 19 of 19 Posts