Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to use the CHAdeMO at M25 Cobham services in a few weeks on the way to France, but I've noticed that there were reports on ZapMap of a faulty unit there in July and again in December 2015.

Has anyone been there recently? Do you have any up to date information about the state of operation? Could you post here and/or update the info on ZapMap?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Both Chademos were up and running yesterday.

There are a couple of Teslas and one merc that hog them for hours though, so if you see them, be prepared for a long wait

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, and for the warning. I don't suppose the charge hogs leave any contact info do they? (I do, FWIW!)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nope. The tesla drivers sit in the car and refuse to move till 90% minimum, and the merc is usually empty, but I've seen it connected for over 3 hours before.

If it is blocked, and you are desperate for a top up, there is another rapid just a couple of miles away in Cobham itself run by ChargeYourCar. Its a paid one, so unlikely to be blocked.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I went a few days ago and both were taken up by outlanders (with owners in the car) I have a Rex so I didn't bother them but Cobham isnt that bad generally, it's usually empty when I turn up after work.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I didn't expect to get replies from multiple Cobham regulars. :) Thanks for all the info.

It's going to be our first EV trip abroad, and Cobham will be our first stop, so I'd like it to go well, if only to put the wife's mind at ease! Either way though, we'll have enough charge to get to Portsmouth; I'm just going for maximum redundancy in case the pre-ferry charge in Portsmouth doesn't come off for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Wow, I didn't expect to get replies from multiple Cobham regulars. :) Thanks for all the info.

It's going to be our first EV trip abroad, and Cobham will be our first stop, so I'd like it to go well, if only to put the wife's mind at ease! Either way though, we'll have enough charge to get to Portsmouth; I'm just going for maximum redundancy in case the pre-ferry charge in Portsmouth doesn't come off for whatever reason.
I used both Chademos yesterday. Not at the same time obviously. Never saw another EV.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like complete pot luck then — sometimes a queue, sometimes hogged, sometimes deserted.

In a few weeks' time I'll be able to add a datapoint of my own. :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I
Sounds like complete pot luck then — sometimes a queue, sometimes hogged, sometimes deserted.

In a few weeks' time I'll be able to add a datapoint of my own. :)
I used it twice last Saturday. In the morning one side was hogged by a BYD taxi and the other side an Outlander was plugged in but failed to initiate charge. There are four parking spaces so I unplugged the Outlander (closed dust cover but not fuel flap), cleared the error and started charging. They were both still there when I left 20 mins later.

In the evening it was deserted when I arrived but I was one of four Leafs when I left after 20 mins.

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,218 Posts
Cobham information changes too fast for Zap-Map updates and as other have said a lot of it is down to the user lottery. Sometimes both points have been operational and unused other times I have found both out of order and/or blocked/busy.

Like many Ecotricity points they seem to suffer over the weekend. Friday night OK Sunday night broken.

In an emergency there are two alternative CYC points. One in Cobham itself and the other at Reigate Hill. Both charge £7.50:( (and not £4.50 as suggested by Zap Map). With a Tesla you may be able to (almost) get your moneys worth:unsure: and at those prices you are unlikely to find too many others using them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ah, didn't see you had a Tesla.

Don't know if it helps but there are a couple of superchargers just outside Heathrow. One is in a hotel and you have to tell reception you are there and the other is at the Tesla dealer in Hayes

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Cobham information changes too fast for Zap-Map updates and as other have said a lot of it is down to the user lottery. Sometimes both points have been operational and unused other times I have found both out of order and/or blocked/busy.

Like many Ecotricity points they seem to suffer over the weekend. Friday night OK Sunday night broken.

In an emergency there are two alternative CYC points. One in Cobham itself and the other at Reigate Hill. Both charge £7.50:( (and not £4.50 as suggested by Zap Map). With a Tesla you may be able to (almost) get your moneys worth:unsure: and at those prices you are unlikely to find too many others using them.
I had to use Reigate Hill on Wednesday. Not cheap. Down to local council I guess. Worked fine. Not blocked.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ecotricity have just added a third charger at Cobham, so there are now:
  • 3 x Chademo
  • 2 x Mennekes
  • 1 x CCS
So hopefully there will be better availability for the chademo/mennekes chargers

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Why is there no consistency with Ecotricity? So they've installed another AC/DC unit? What about CCS? I just cannot understand their logic with their choice of charger sometimes.

Edit: Just looked on the map and it seems that Beaconsfield has also received another AC/DC unit. Have they fallen out of love with CCS and run away with Rapid AC now?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ecotricity have just added a third charger at Cobham, so there are now:
  • 3 x Chademo
  • 2 x Mennekes
  • 1 x CCS
So hopefully there will be better availability for the chademo/mennekes chargers
Neat!

I might check it out tonight after work. I always felt bad about using it before since I was effectively hogging up a CCS when I'm on the Type 2 but with another spare one there it should be alright if I pop in for a minute!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Neat!

I might check it out tonight after work. I always felt bad about using it before since I was effectively hogging up a CCS when I'm on the Type 2 but with another spare one there it should be alright if I pop in for a minute!
Please report back if you do. It was showing out of service earlier in the week on the EH map then came back online.

I need to use it myself (twice) on Sunday so I hope all is OK.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Please report back if you do. It was showing out of service earlier in the week on the EH map then came back online.

I need to use it myself (twice) on Sunday so I hope all is OK.
I'm charging here right now, on the new one, and iys working perfectly.

There is also a leaf and outlander on the two other chargers so all 3 look good.

Just to confirm though, all together there are 3 Chademo, 2 AC and 1 CCS. Only 1, the one in the middle, is a CCS unit. The other 2 (including the new one) are double headed Type 2/Chademo's

1 - 20 of 24 Posts