Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
EGGY
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So much opportunity for a pi$$ take, but not good, especially the bit about them being used every other day. Still, record EV sales in France in January.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Every time I’ve driven to France (Ok, only 4 occasions but..) they have held fuel strikes, which have caused grief as I’ve driven on fumes across the border to Belgium to get some diesel.

Thought I’d be safe with an EV, but it would seem not..:unsure:

·
Registered
109 Posts
? ? I was just reading through the Tesla thread when you replied...big question in my head is do I spend the money on a used Model S or a similar sum on a new Model 3 LR...I keep flip-flopping between the two, and keeping my current ICE which I really love (Skoda Superb Estate) for another couple of years and seeing what else is on the market then..

it’s all swmbo’s fault for going for a Zoe...causing me to research EVs and getting more enthusiastic by the day ?‍♂

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's a real shame: France, with its heavy reliance on nuclear, is one of the cleanest places to run an EV. They should be encouraging EV use more than anyone else.

·
EGGY
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
record sales of Zoe's in Jan 2020 .... where are they all going to charge ? What with that and Ecotricty's shite DBT's, what a fiasco. Ionity will probably put their prices up, again

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,456 Posts
record sales of Zoe's in Jan 2020 .... where are they all going to charge ? What with that and Ecotricty's shite DBT's, what a fiasco. Ionity will probably put their prices up, again
I expect, like me, people are thinking that they won't need to, with 50kWh, or at least very exceptionally.

And it should be true. From about 2 or 3 trips a month where I need to charge the Soul, I will manage 2 or 3 trips a year with 50% more battery capacity.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Assuming that the rest of France can charge at home, office or convenient for them and hence start their journey fully charged then that's fine. I don't think that will be the case for long.

·
Registered
223 Posts
France has loads of 22kw AC charging, which obviously suits their most popular EV, the Zoe. That, and the long lunches, probably explains why the motorway network is little used. Also, the only time I took my Leaf to France, I avoided the motorway rapid network because they were all singles. It’s hard to believe the French can allow the current situation to go on for long given all the new cars coming along.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Currently planning a trip from UK to Holland, and came to the conclusion it was best to charge up just before leaving the UK, and aim for Belgium as soon as you're across the channel. Charging up in France was looking sketchy and expensive.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,833 Posts
Currently planning a trip from UK to Holland, and came to the conclusion it was best to charge up just before leaving the UK, and aim for Belgium as soon as you're across the channel. Charging up in France was looking sketchy and expensive.
If it's feasable for you, why not use the Harwich or Hull to Rotterdam ferries & cut out France altogether?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
It's only 40 miles more from Rotterdam than from Calais and infinitely preferable on the way back. It does depends where you are starting from of course.

·
EGGY
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Driving the i3 to sister in law in Genoa was already looking like an (18 hour) stretch, this just makes the case for the upgrade to a model 3 even stronger (is my case to my patient wife). Factor in savings on flights and car hire and it is pretty much printing money ... oh hold on I've got my Toyota advertising agency head on

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hmmm....

i3 Route: 14 hours driving, 5 hours charging
Model 3 Route: 11 1/2 hours driving, 2 hours charging

The difference. No CCS in France meaning it either pops up into Belgium and Luxembourg, or limps over to Germany as quick as it can.

Yeeesssh!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts