Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been an existing Octopus customer and switching to Intelligent Octopus after my tariff expired but experiencing some issues wondering if anyone else has gone through this process?

I requested the switch online on my computer, after it said all OK was told to download the app and follow instructions there.

Downloaded Octopus Energy app on my Android device. Wasn't obvious what I've to click but figured there was a 'Charge for less' button on the front page which takes you through to introducing Intelligent Octopus and some form of getting started steps... Tried to follow the steps and select my Tesla Model 3 but then it just takes me back to the beginning and doesn't actually add the car... Anyone else experience this?

I asked Octopus about status and was told it was all pending me accepting T&Cs on the app but the only place to accept T&Cs is when doing the test charge and that doesn't work unless a car and charger had been added?

Hoping I've maybe missed an important step somewhere, anyone done this before?

Thanks

Steven

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think its an Android app problem... tried 2 different Android devices same problem, borrowed a friend's iPhone and it at least allowed me to add the car and charger and authenticate etc but test charge failed cause according to the FAQ need to add the car while the car is at home address whereas I was out at the time I borrowed the iPhone. Will need to try and borrow again or hope they fix the Android app soon...

Registered
I've been on Intelligent for around a year now. One thing I have learnt from it is to not rely on it for important journeys, I've had several failures. When it works it works well, but if you have something like an airport run early in the morning, then I use the good old fashioned manual timer to get a reliable charge. I use Intelligent as much as possible, but only when the charge is not imperative for a trip

Registered
I just got an email about my Octopus Go tariff:

Your current Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 16.03p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 5.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 25.00p / day

Your new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 35.11p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 7.50p / kWh
Standing charge: 49.38p / day

I'm a bit hacked off that the standing charge has doubled to nearly 50p a day. This has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of energy and is purely because OFGEM regulates only the cost per unit of electricity.

EVEZY code -拢50 off: d409e

I'm a bit hacked off that the standing charge has doubled to nearly 50p a day. This has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of energy and is purely because OFGEM regulates only the cost per unit of electricity.
Ofgem do have a price cap on standing charges.

Ofgem price caps do not apply to fixed price tariffs.

The increase in SC is to recoup the money lost due to the failed suppliers.

Registered

I got the same email, curiously it was hiding in my Gmail spam folder??
This is the email you wish they'd send too late so they'd have to keep you on your current rate for a while.
But sending on time, ahead of your current contract expiry, means it's for real :(

My GO contract at similar price actually expires mid-August with the same doubled new prices (35p/7.5p/50p) offered.
I'll wait until much nearer the expiry date before moving onto the new GO so as to stay on the old lower rate as long as possible.
(I think if you accept the new GO offer you'll start immediately - it doesn't roll to the new contract on expiry of the old contract.)

Registered
I got the same email, curiously it was hiding in my Gmail spam folder??
This is the email you wish they'd send too late so they'd have to keep you on your current rate for a while.
But sending on time, ahead of your current contract expiry, means it's for real :(

My GO contract at similar price actually expires mid-August with the same doubled new prices (35p/7.5p/50p) offered.
I'll wait until much nearer the expiry date before moving onto the new GO so as to stay on the old lower rate as long as possible.
(I think if you accept the new GO offer you'll start immediately - it doesn't roll to the new contract on expiry of the old contract.)
Good advice thanks

Registered
Tesla M3LR
I tried signing up to this tariff earlier this week when I discovered its existence.

The marketing blurb states that you need a compatible charger OR a compatible car.

However during the signup process it asks for the make/model of car AND make/model of charger, it will not permit signup progression without entering both.

I don't have a wall charger, I just use the Tesla granny, so I was hoping that this intelligent tariff was a solution to lower cost off peak charging.

So, is a wall charger necessary for this tariff or not?

EVEZY code -拢50 off: d409e
I tried signing up to this tariff earlier this week when I discovered its existence.

The marketing blurb states that you need a compatible charger OR a compatible car.

However during the signup process it asks for the make/model of car AND make/model of charger, it will not permit signup progression without entering both.

I don't have a wall charger, I just use the Tesla granny, so I was hoping that this intelligent tariff was a solution to lower cost off peak charging.

So, is a wall charger necessary for this tariff or not?
No.
Sky Purple Rectangle Violet Font

Registered
Thanks, I have found those options now and progressed further.

What I can't find however is the "devices tab" on my account in order to activate it:unsure:
Once you鈥檝e selected the vehicle and charger, the next stage is it will ask to do a 7 minute test charge, you need to do that before the devices tab will appear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Tesla M3LR
Once you鈥檝e selected the vehicle and charger, the next stage is it will ask to do a 7 minute test charge, you need to do that before the devices tab will appear

I am not presented with that message, it tells me to activate on the devices tab

Mobile phone Purple Mobile device Font Communication Device

Registered
Tesla M3LR
Strange. Do you have something on the homepage of the app? That鈥檚 where I started to activate on iOS

OK. I've managed to progress this further, the stumbling block now is that when I select the "test charger" screen I just get a blank page, no further:(
Font Screenshot Electric blue Electronic device Rectangle

Registered
@Bobdniro This is exactly where I ended up, blank screen with a white return arrow.
I became convinced that it was the discrepancy between my address No. 4 and the cars Google address No. 2 that was preventing the charge.
I have written emails but have had no reply so I have returned to Go for the next month or so.

Registered
Tesla M3LR
@Bobdniro This is exactly where I ended up, blank screen with a white return arrow.
I became convinced that it was the discrepancy between my address No. 4 and the cars Google address No. 2 that was preventing the charge.
I have written emails but have had no reply so I have returned to Go for the next month or so.
I don't have a discrepancy with the cars location so that is an unlikely possibility, more likely down to poorly designed IT for the sign-up process.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Has anyone signed-up successfully?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts