Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First posting on this forum, apologies if I make a mess of it!

I've had my Ion for over two years now, and I love it deeply, but as all Ion/C-Zero/i-miev owners notice early on, our cars don’t come with a clock. I’ve looked on this and other forums but came up with nothing which ticked all my boxes, so I thought I’d post up my very simple and cheap solution to this glaring omission:

1 MainPiccy.jpg

2 MainPiccyOff.jpg

The clock itself is of course from eBay, you can get one from a UK seller for under £7, e.g.

Digital Car Voltage Monitor Temperature Thermometer Alarm Clock display Battery

It includes internal and external (via a separate wired sensor) thermometers and a voltmeter for the 12V supply which powers it, all very useful. It has an internal battery which powers the clock as just an LCD when the supply is off, but with the ‘ignition’ switch on it’s illuminated by a selectable backlight, either orange (which matches the head unit illumination nicely) or blue (which doesn’t).

For mounting I cut up a small piece of thin aluminium and fixed it to the underside of the display. I used tiny self-tapping screws carefully positioned but I guess glue would work just as well. The ali plate slides into the thin gap between the stereo and its bezel, and I've found this position ideal for a swift glance while driving, while not getting in the way at all. Best of all it requires no permanent mods to the car itself: just pull it out and you wouldn't know it had been there:

3 Mounting1.jpg

4 Mounting2.jpg

The plate channels the wires conveniently into the glovebox:

5 Wiring.jpg

where I have a 3 way splitter with an offset lead like this:

3 Way 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Power Socket Adapter Splitter USB Plug Charger

which allows me to plug in something else if I need to.

I’ve had this installed for over six months now and can’t imagine life without it….

As a postscript, I've got a lot of useful information from this forum, hopefully this might be helpful to others.

Mike

·
Registered
342 Posts
I found a more expensive way of doing it. Replaced the radio with a pure highway 260 DAB one. The display can be cycled to display an accurate clock.....!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course it's a simple job but surprising how quickly you get used to having it, thanks for the feedback.
Presently (slowly) fitting a Webasto heater (to run on home-brewed biodiesel!) in readiness for the winter. If it works I'll take some piccies and post a new thread.
I've read up on US i-miev installations, but anyone this side of the pond done the same?

·
Banned
389 Posts
I've read up on US i-miev installations, but anyone this side of the pond done the same?
In UK its a matter of comfort - but in Canada / Pacofic NW it could be a matter of lie-and-death!

I carry a survival kit during winter. I've been charging at -6C in York and it was far from comfortable.

However a 12V Blanket works - even when charging and in my upscale iMiev - so does the DVD player! So survival is possible - but you want not want to be stranded in a remote area in an IMiev/ or clones. I see the merit of the Webasto - but it rather shows a severe over-sight in ev design/ specification to make heat and demist a luxury you can't afford!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally agree but Buz (affectionately named) is in every other way for us an ideal way of getting around locally, the perfect second car. Like many, I went through the first winter with a fan heater to warm up and demist before starting out, and copious blankets for passengers en-route, but one experience with three of us in the car in a sudden shower of freezing rain showed the electric heater/demister to be woefully inadequate: it just wasn't safe to proceed.
Only time will tell if the Webasto is the complete solution I'm hoping for!

·
Banned
389 Posts
I totally agree but Buz (affectionately named) is in every other way for us an ideal way of getting around locally, the perfect second car. Like many, I went through the first winter with a fan heater to warm up and demist before starting out---!
I assume you know to keep the aircon on, when you need max demist! I agree it a nightmare when the condensation gets our of hand in heavy rain - very dangerous - especially in the dark!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Of course it's a simple job but surprising how quickly you get used to having it, thanks for the feedback.
Presently (slowly) fitting a Webasto heater (to run on home-brewed biodiesel!) in readiness for the winter. If it works I'll take some piccies and post a new thread.
I've read up about this. There is nothing that seems to be hard but it's all very fiddly looking lol. Which webasto did you buy? There is a guy on youtube who did the fit and it doesn't look too tricky.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As our czero is a second car, used for short runs, a webasto heater is too much for me. I'll second the 12v car seat covers....I got our from aldi last time they were.on offer. Very toasty in winter and they only put a modest load on the 12v socket and its splitter.

It's enough to take the edge off and with aplenty of blankets for passengers (!) We all see it as a small price to pay for the ev convenience. The air con is an excellent demister so it's only our comfort that demands heat.

There are plenty of rubbish ones there but the aldi one had a 3 year warranty iirc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you punch "imiev heater" into Youtube you'll get a bunch of FBH (fuel-burning heater) installations, but as far as I can see they're either US model i-Mievs (which are slightly longer and have enough space to fit the heater itself in front of the radiator, not an option on the EU version), or replacement of the existing PTC element heater underneath the car with the FBH (which means you're then totally dependent on the FBH, and where it's least accessible to fix if it goes wrong). For sure Ben Nelson's series of Youtube videos is the most comprehensive, plus he's posted lots of other interesting i-Miev related stuff. Even in the EU version of course, LHD and RHD versions have subtly different under bonnet layouts, and I've not seen an RHD fit described although for sure they've been done - I remember an iOn (I think) being sold on eBay UK recently which had originally had a Webasto professionally fitted, but the owner had removed it before selling as he wanted to fit it to his next EV!
My FBH is a Webasto Thermo Top C btw, and I agree that more than anything it's fiddly to install, but as I plan on keeping our iOn as long as I can, plus the fact that i know my OH will use the iOn more in the winter with a proper heater, it's practically a no-brainer.
So far I've replaced the existing battery with a 21Ah AGM battery which is much smaller but likely to be perfectly adequate as of course it's charged constantly while the car's being driven. This has been in for a couple of weeks now and I wouldn't know the difference, other than that the new battery's voltage is higher at 13.5V than the original at 12.0V (as shown on my clock gizmo, a useful feature I wasn't expecting to use when I fitted it!), and of course I can keep my eye on the voltage if I'm parked up with the radio on for a while. The new battery has freed up loads of under-bonnet space which the FBH will certainly need, and I'm presently playing with bits of metal, wires and hoses to try and optimise the final setup before committing.
As it's got a bit OT, it'd be better to leave any further FBH-related stuff until I've something to report, so I'll open another thread for that, but thanks in the meantime for the interest!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts