Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Anyone towing a small camping trailer with their M3?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  James Watson 
#1 ·
I know there have been posts about caravans or massive trailers halving the range of the M3. Has anyone tried a small camping trailer to see what the impact is? I’m thinking about 350kg max including the trailer and contents. Anssems GT750 for example.

Just wondering how viable it would be with a SR+

#2 ·
I tow fairly regularly with my SR+ and with the trailer below I'm getting about 330Wh/mile.

The energy consumption will be massively drag dominated. My trailer originally had mesh sides and a full ramp and that was generally about 480 to 550Wh/mile. I would think your camping trailer with smooth top should be less drag than my open top one. Don't know if that's helpful?

#3 ·
The energy consumption will be massively drag dominated
Exactly this. It's not just the poor aerodynamic design of the trailer but how much you load on top of it, particularly if you use "roof bars" to load bikes etc.

As ever speed is a big issue. If you try to live with the entitled X5 owners towing their caravans at 70mph on the motorway you'll be spending a lot of time at the superchargers. Alternatively slow down to LEAF speeds and you'll be fine.

Reactions: James Watson
#4 ·
Thanks both

Really useful thank you. Been towing a camping trailer for years with our ICE sticking to 60 on the motorway so would be happy plodding along at that speed. The above set up is exactly what I had in mind, although the bike racks and bikes might be a future addition. Its pretty streamlined with the closed top I would think. Not so much with bikes on! The other option would be a Brenderup 1205S with ABS lid. Not really suitable for bikes but otherwise a nice aero shape. You can also get a VT1 version of the Anssems which lifts the sides. That would make a lot more mess of the air coming off the back of the car though.

Reactions: Tinker180z
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.