Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just waiting to hear when I can collect my new e-Niro 4+, which is replacing an Outlander PHEV. That means I need to replace the tethered T1 cable on my Gen1 Zappi with a new T2 cable.

In my case it will also make sense to use a 10m cable due to the Zappi location and the need for the cable to reach the front of the Kia to be plugged in. This is because the Zappi is just inside my garage door and I need to drive in facing forwards to have enough space to my reverse park my second car next to it - the width of the garage means this is the only way to park and easily be able to get into both drivers doors.

Does anyone have any experience of buying a replacement tethered cable and can recommend a supplier? Did the bare cable ends come pre-fitted with ferrules or did you crimp your own? I’ve found evcables.co.uk and evonestop.co.uk online, but have no idea if either are good choices to buy from.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I bought an unused Type 2 podpoint lead for £75 and replaced my original type 1, then sold the type 1 for £50. Swapping the cable over is of similar complexity to wiring a plug.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
I would expect that 10m type 2 leads are fairly rare on the market. I too purchased an unused 5m one that had been replaced from new by a longer one.
Are you doing this on a 16A or 32A unit?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought an unused Type 2 podpoint lead for £75 and replaced my original type 1, then sold the type 1 for £50. Swapping the cable over is of similar complexity to wiring a plug.
I’m not at all worried about the electrical side - being an HVAC controls engineer for 30+ years means I’m very happy working with 230 & 415v supplies, but would appreciate some feedback on suppliers for the new cable assembly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would expect that 10m type 2 leads are fairly rare on the market. I too purchased an unused 5m one that had been replaced from new by a longer one.
Are you doing this on a 16A or 32A unit?
I’ve got a 32A Zappi. I’ve seen T2 tethered cables offered in standard lengths upto 15m, and custom lengths too from some suppliers. In my case a 10m cable is plenty long enough to route neatly down the side of my garage (using some cable retention) to the areas close to where I’ll be plugging in.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I’m using my old GM wall unit which I got with my Ampera (type 1), but now it’s with a 7.5 M type 2 tail from EVBitz to charge my Tesla. The cable is 32A but the charger is only 16A and until it’s circuit board dies, it is doing fine for me. I can always replace what I’ve used in enough time to be fine with 3.3 kW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not try Myenergi direct? After all they make them so must have the components and you might preserve the guarantee.
They don’t do a 10m tethered replacement cable, so no option to buy from them.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
They don’t do a 10m tethered replacement cable, so no option to buy from them.
EvBitz offer good customer service ( and have already been recommended). They will make the lead from bulk cable so if you need 11m or some other odd length just go ahead and order.
EcoHarmony also make up custom leads.
Keep in mind that there may well be online sellers using very cheap Chinese made cable which quickly twists and fails.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m going to speak to EVBitz once I’ve got the car and can do an accurate measure for the cable replacement, as a custom length may be better, allowing me to very neatly route the cable to where it is needed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I 2nd (3rd) EVBitz recommendations. I just following the instructions they have on their site, swaping my podpoint charger cable from type 1 to 2. As said earlier , it's like changing a plug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts