Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone down the route of using high efficiency solar panels? From what I read, these are only really used where you want a higher amount of generation but do not have the roof space.

In percentage terms, what kind of premium did you have to pay for the panels vs the cheaper variants? Any other comments or thoughts on these?

I read the high efficiency panels do not just produce more energy per metre square, but they also have a better warranty and the degradation of energy production is much lower.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I don't believe there's an accepted definition of 'high efficiency' for solar panels as it's a moving target. Only recently we were installing 320W panels by default with 350W as an option, but since the start of June we're installing 345W by default with 370W as an option.

For those customers who specifically request high efficiency panels we can supply 400W Sunpower panels. However we would never expect the extra generation to offset the extra cost within a typical 20 year project life.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Are there panels that have better performance at lower light levels? I have a NW facing roof that could take a good few panels, but it would only make sense to me if it performed well on dull days (to supplement my SE facing system to ensure coverage of my background usage most of the time). It annoys the hell out of me seeing my system generating 120W on a rainy day, with my background being between 300W and 400W, when I know that generation on the NW side would be exactly the same in diffuse light.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Probably more cost effective to address that 400watt background consumption. My own consumption display tells me I have 300 watts background but most of it is fake due to fire and security system of effects.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't believe there's an accepted definition of 'high efficiency' for solar panels as it's a moving target. Only recently we were installing 320W panels by default with 350W as an option, but since the start of June we're installing 345W by default with 370W as an option.

For those customers who specifically request high efficiency panels we can supply 400W Sunpower panels. However we would never expect the extra generation to offset the extra cost within a typical 20 year project life.
Ah okay, yeah it was the 400W panels I was thinking about but sounds like the premium is not worth it. I think I'll have limited roof space so I'd be looking to go as high efficiency as possible (within reasonable bounds).

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Ah okay, yeah it was the 400W panels I was thinking about but sounds like the premium is not worth it. I think I'll have limited roof space so I'd be looking to go as high efficiency as possible (within reasonable bounds).
What is your design objective, do you have a minimum nominal power figure in mind?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is your design objective, do you have a minimum nominal power figure in mind?
Based on my approx calculations, I think I have space for about 10 panels. In an ideal world, I would have liked to have liked around 4 to 5kW. I thought the 400w panels would be around the same price or slightly more (£ per watt) as the normal panels people get. Would have been happy with getting 400w panels if they were only slightly more but if they have a huge premium then I'd rather go for something as high as possible without it having such a huge premium.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Based on my approx calculations, I think I have space for about 10 panels. In an ideal world, I would have liked to have liked around 4 to 5kW. I thought the 400w panels would be around the same price or slightly more (£ per watt) as the normal panels people get. Would have been happy with getting 400w panels if they were only slightly more but if they have a huge premium then I'd rather go for something as high as possible without it having such a huge premium.
5kW over 10 panels is 500W per panel. Do you have space for oversized panels 72 cell..

Or wait until Trina get these 500watt panels on the UK Market
thttps://pv-magazine-usa.com/2020/03/05/how-will-the-new-generation-of-500-watt-panels-shape-the-solar-industry/

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
5kW over 10 panels is 500W per panel. Do you have space for oversized panels 72 cell..

Or wait until Trina get these 500watt panels on the UK Market
thttps://pv-magazine-usa.com/2020/03/05/how-will-the-new-generation-of-500-watt-panels-shape-the-solar-industry/

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not in a "money no object" situation. So while I would have liked to have 5kW, I don't want to spend an absurd amount of money to get to it. Sounds like the 400w panels are already absurd but the 370w panels may not be.

Anyone got a rough £ per watt cost for the 370w and the 400w panels?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm not in a "money no object" situation. So while I would have liked to have 5kW, I don't want to spend an absurd amount of money to get to it. Sounds like the 400w panels are already absurd but the 370w panels may not be.

Anyone got a rough £ per watt cost for the 370w and the 400w panels?
Have a look at this site.. some user pricing detail...

LG 370W ...£312

Reactions: technoev

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Some installed prices per panel from us (+5%VAT):
Longi 320W: £98
Longi 345W (our standard panel): £110.60
Longi 370W: £114.80
Trina 275W: £79.80

Of course, a full install has lots of other things (scaffolding, electrician, inverters, etc.) so I wouldn't get too hung up on the price of individual panels.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Probably more cost effective to address that 400watt background consumption. My own consumption display tells me I have 300 watts background but most of it is fake due to fire and security system of effects.
I have a similar background usage - WiFi routers, fridges and freezers blipping and a lot of tiny standby that isn’t worth addressing. The cost is minuscule and so covering it would have a to me barmy payback period.

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
Some installed prices per panel from us (+5%VAT):
Longi 320W: £98
Longi 345W (our standard panel): £110.60
Longi 370W: £114.80
Trina 275W: £79.80

Of course, a full install has lots of other things (scaffolding, electrician, inverters, etc.) so I wouldn't get too hung up on the price of individual panels.
Amazing how fast prices are coming down and panel capacity is going up!

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have a similar background usage - WiFi routers, fridges and freezers blipping and a lot of tiny standby that isn’t worth addressing. The cost is minuscule and so covering it would have a to me barmy payback period.
Is there anything I'm missing?

How long does it normally take to receive a new card from CYC?

Is getting CPS chargers to work with the CYC app actually not that bad?

Wifi running costs can be reduced/controlled by judicious change of Broadband supplier complete with new router. Freezer costs can be controlled by hacking temperature controls to be biased towards daylight hours. Best of course is to dump any old inefficient appliances and keep freezers and especially fridges full.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Is there anything I'm missing?

How long does it normally take to receive a new card from CYC?

Is getting CPS chargers to work with the CYC app actually not that bad?

Wifi running costs can be reduced/controlled by judicious change of Broadband supplier complete with new router. Freezer costs can be controlled by hacking temperature controls to be biased towards daylight hours. Best of course is to dump any old inefficient appliances and keep freezers and especially fridges full.
To take this minuscule consumption to half that would save me 3/4 of nowt. I have my eye on the doughnut, not the hole.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Interesting... got a build happening soon. What is the typical footprint of a 370w panel on a SW-facing flat roof?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts