Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering if anyone has been thinking of replacing all the MG wheels because they want a different style.

if so, I I will happily buy one of the old wheels, so that I can have a full-size spare wheel and not a space saver.

I'm sure it will be easy to find three people who will buy the others

·
Registered
275 Posts
I thought the idea with the spare that MG supply (as an optional extra), is that is will allow you to get home safely in the event you get a puncture? It is lightweight which always helps with an EV.

What are the advantages of carrying a full size spare rather than a get-me-home or get-me-to-kwikfix spare?

·
Registered
261 Posts
What are the advantages of carrying a full size spare rather than a get-me-home or get-me-to-kwikfix spare?
The space saver is limited for speed and is not deigned to drive hundreds of miles on it. What happens if I am away from home on a long journey? I don't want to have to drive around on some pesky space saver. As for weight this is negligible - If I went on a diet and owned a smaller dog it would also help the EV!

·
Registered
275 Posts
The space saver is limited for speed and is not deigned to drive hundreds of miles on it. What happens if I am away from home on a long journey? I don't want to have to drive around on some pesky space saver. As for weight this is negligible - If I went on a diet and owned a smaller dog it would also help the EV!
The idea is it gets you to a location where you get a proper repair or replacement tyre - not drive hundreds of miles. It is lightweight hence lower speed, which is 50mph, and plenty to get to a place to fix the car. It takes up less space and weighs less, thus helping range it what is already a limited range EV. It is a better solution than the repair and air compressor that is provided as standard.

Anyway, if you see the need then I am sure you can order a wheel from MG?

·
Registered
261 Posts
The idea is it gets you to a location where you get a proper repair or replacement tyre - not drive hundreds of miles
Good luck with that out of working hours when travelling at night. Plus I want to be able to continue the journey that I have planned. Not mess about half way through looking for a tyre place when miles away from home or on holiday.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good luck with that out of working hours when travelling at night. Plus I want to be able to continue the journey that I have planned. Not mess about half way through looking for a tyre place when miles away from home or on holiday.
And if you don't get your tyre repaired at the earliest opportunity, then what?

To be honest, I am happy with the space saver tyre, clearly you are not ?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a matter of choice and circumstances.. e.g. whether...
  • you're close to an urban area where you can easily get a new tyre/wheel if you don't carry the spare
  • you're likely to get help fairly quickly from a recovery service if you need to, the more rural you are the longer you might wait
  • you are physically able to do it
  • you are suitably dressed! I encountered a colleague in our city who was in his finest suit, and he'd had a puncture, so I changed his wheel for him which fortunately wasn't too dirty a job

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,457 Posts
The idea is it gets you to a location where you get a proper repair or replacement tyre - not drive hundreds of miles. It is lightweight hence lower speed, which is 50mph, and plenty to get to a place to fix the car.
Provided you only want to go a short distance (theoretically 50 miles max), and that it is a time when tyre shops are open.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've been wondering if anyone has been thinking of replacing all the MG wheels because they want a different style.

if so, I I will happily buy one of the old wheels, so that I can have a full-size spare wheel and not a space saver.

I'm sure it will be easy to find three people who will buy the others
I ordered a space saver when I ordered my mg it comes with a scissor jack and other bits and pieces.The space saver is all you need you can travel a reasonable distance at reduced speed,50mph.Most vehicles don't come with a spare wheel even my 3.6 ton motorhome came without one although I ordered one at the Time I ordered the motorhome which was a full size spare as you can't get space savers for larger commercial vehicles.If you are going on a longish trip just call in to the nearest town and get your three repaired, it's simple really.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I ordered a space saver when I ordered my mg it comes with a scissor jack and other bits and pieces.The space saver is all you need you can travel a reasonable distance at reduced speed,50mph.Most vehicles don't come with a spare wheel even my 3.6 ton motorhome came without one although I ordered one at the Time I ordered the motorhome which was a full size spare as you can't get space savers for larger commercial vehicles.If you are going on a longish trip just call in to the nearest town and get your three repaired, it's simple really.
Re above three should. Be tyre bloody word prompter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this old thread, but I've got a couple of original diamond cut MG ZS EV alloys for anyone who would prefer a permanent spare in case of a flat.

They don't happen that often but it's bound to happen when you're on a long journey.

They are very expensive new but these are nearly new with nearly new original Michelin low rolling resistance tyres on.

I'm not sure if they have the TPMS sensors so I'd better say they don't, however driving without TPMS on one tyre would be no great inconvenience until you get your flat tyre fixed.

I live in the Wirral but would be quite prepared to drive some distance to either deliver or meet someone who wants one.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV EXCLUSIVE
73 Posts
I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this old thread, but I've got a couple of original diamond cut MG ZS EV alloys for anyone who would prefer a permanent spare in case of a flat.

They don't happen that often but it's bound to happen when you're on a long journey.

They are very expensive new but these are nearly new with nearly new original Michelin low rolling resistance tyres on.

I'm not sure if they have the TPMS sensors so I'd better say they don't, however driving without TPMS on one tyre would be no great inconvenience until you get your flat tyre fixed.

I live in the Wirral but would be quite prepared to drive some distance to either deliver or meet someone who wants one.
What is the price of your wheels?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm too far to practically meet up, being in Cambridge. Please can you give a price including shipping?

Maybe if I were you, I'd keep the wheels and fit winter tyres, and put summer tyres on your new wheels.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What is the price of your wheels?
I've just had a quote from my local MG dealer, it was £427.35 for wheel and Michelin tyre or £485.29 with the TPMS sensor.

So it's not the battery that bumps the price up, it's the wheels.

I don't know where you are Rogerdee, but I can probably deliver it for £249 (which is the price they're quoting for the Space Saver).

I haven't looked into it yet Paul M but I could probably deliver it to within 50 miles of you if you met me at somewhere I can charge my car.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
293 Posts
As I started to read this thread I thought ... Liverpool is the place to get wheels ... The Wirral is the posher side, I had in mind Kirkby. I used to manage the DHSS office there years ago. Saw one guy undoing wheel nuts with his fingers outside the office... not my car fortunately.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As I started to read this thread I thought ... Liverpool is the place to get wheels ... The Wirral is the posher side, I had in mind Kirkby. I used to manage the DHSS office there years ago. Saw one guy undoing wheel nuts with his fingers outside the office... not my car fortunately.
As you said Brian G , Wirral is the posher side of the Mersey, I undid the wheel nuts with a wrench , but I was wearing gloves. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just to confirm that these wheels do not have the TPMS sensors, I've had a good look at them and I'm pretty certain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts