Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering if anyone has been thinking of replacing all the MG wheels because they want a different style.

if so, I I will happily buy one of the old wheels, so that I can have a full-size spare wheel and not a space saver.

I'm sure it will be easy to find three people who will buy the others

·
Registered
276 Posts
I thought the idea with the spare that MG supply (as an optional extra), is that is will allow you to get home safely in the event you get a puncture? It is lightweight which always helps with an EV.

What are the advantages of carrying a full size spare rather than a get-me-home or get-me-to-kwikfix spare?

·
Registered
211 Posts
What are the advantages of carrying a full size spare rather than a get-me-home or get-me-to-kwikfix spare?
The space saver is limited for speed and is not deigned to drive hundreds of miles on it. What happens if I am away from home on a long journey? I don't want to have to drive around on some pesky space saver. As for weight this is negligible - If I went on a diet and owned a smaller dog it would also help the EV!

·
Registered
276 Posts
The space saver is limited for speed and is not deigned to drive hundreds of miles on it. What happens if I am away from home on a long journey? I don't want to have to drive around on some pesky space saver. As for weight this is negligible - If I went on a diet and owned a smaller dog it would also help the EV!
The idea is it gets you to a location where you get a proper repair or replacement tyre - not drive hundreds of miles. It is lightweight hence lower speed, which is 50mph, and plenty to get to a place to fix the car. It takes up less space and weighs less, thus helping range it what is already a limited range EV. It is a better solution than the repair and air compressor that is provided as standard.

Anyway, if you see the need then I am sure you can order a wheel from MG?

·
Registered
211 Posts
The idea is it gets you to a location where you get a proper repair or replacement tyre - not drive hundreds of miles
Good luck with that out of working hours when travelling at night. Plus I want to be able to continue the journey that I have planned. Not mess about half way through looking for a tyre place when miles away from home or on holiday.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good luck with that out of working hours when travelling at night. Plus I want to be able to continue the journey that I have planned. Not mess about half way through looking for a tyre place when miles away from home or on holiday.
And if you don't get your tyre repaired at the earliest opportunity, then what?

To be honest, I am happy with the space saver tyre, clearly you are not ?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a matter of choice and circumstances.. e.g. whether...
  • you're close to an urban area where you can easily get a new tyre/wheel if you don't carry the spare
  • you're likely to get help fairly quickly from a recovery service if you need to, the more rural you are the longer you might wait
  • you are physically able to do it
  • you are suitably dressed! I encountered a colleague in our city who was in his finest suit, and he'd had a puncture, so I changed his wheel for him which fortunately wasn't too dirty a job

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
The idea is it gets you to a location where you get a proper repair or replacement tyre - not drive hundreds of miles. It is lightweight hence lower speed, which is 50mph, and plenty to get to a place to fix the car.
Provided you only want to go a short distance (theoretically 50 miles max), and that it is a time when tyre shops are open.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've been wondering if anyone has been thinking of replacing all the MG wheels because they want a different style.

if so, I I will happily buy one of the old wheels, so that I can have a full-size spare wheel and not a space saver.

I'm sure it will be easy to find three people who will buy the others
I ordered a space saver when I ordered my mg it comes with a scissor jack and other bits and pieces.The space saver is all you need you can travel a reasonable distance at reduced speed,50mph.Most vehicles don't come with a spare wheel even my 3.6 ton motorhome came without one although I ordered one at the Time I ordered the motorhome which was a full size spare as you can't get space savers for larger commercial vehicles.If you are going on a longish trip just call in to the nearest town and get your three repaired, it's simple really.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I ordered a space saver when I ordered my mg it comes with a scissor jack and other bits and pieces.The space saver is all you need you can travel a reasonable distance at reduced speed,50mph.Most vehicles don't come with a spare wheel even my 3.6 ton motorhome came without one although I ordered one at the Time I ordered the motorhome which was a full size spare as you can't get space savers for larger commercial vehicles.If you are going on a longish trip just call in to the nearest town and get your three repaired, it's simple really.
Re above three should. Be tyre bloody word prompter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts