Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Mmm, interesting. My car was first registered in October 2015, so not quite 4 years old, but I got a call from the Cambridge dealer yesterday (Friday) to say that there was a recall out for my car, apparently something to do with potential cracking of the battery case. Might give them a call on Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Anyone with an early dealer car without Carnet may be in with a chance?
Wow !.
You don’t get a letter like that every day !.
My car was first registered on 9th June 2015 so is almost 4 years old in a couple of weeks.
It was indeed a dealer model ( Sales person’s X demo ) it has NO “Car - Net” or “Remote Charge / Heating / Cooling” via the App !.
Do you have to purchase another VW with the refund or are you free to take the cash offer else where ???.
Scrapping the car seems to be a hell of a waste of a good car ???.
My car has only covered 25,000 miles and am still very fond of it.
What will you buy now @phproxy ?.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Wow. Now wondering if my '65 plate would be one of them. Would make for a pretty decent turnaround....!
But then what would I replace it with? Another GTE? No other decent EV out there in my price range...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,097 Posts
Is there any way to check against a re-call? VIN or something?

Mine was first registered in May'15...

By the way, I think that the two things might not be related, i.e. the letter can be issued because of something else, not the scandal linked in the later post.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Bit of wishfull thinking on our behalf maybe !!!.
Unless we know the full “Back Story” regarding this car, we maybe getting a little to excited to quickly !.
I feel the same way as @tom66 - although it would be nice to receive a really good offer for my car, I would be extremely sad to see it go !.
I have NO idea what I would replace it with right now !.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
But is it possible to buy a new GTE at present or would you be forced to get a model 3?
No, you are NOT able to order a new GTE - it has been that way for a long time.
I think if was being offered a healthy amount for my car then I would try a hold out for the new I.D.
I consider the prospect of returning to a full ICE car again would be a massive step backwards after using a lot of electric propulsion over the last four years.
I know the GTE has only a small and limited battery range, but that has been enough to convince me that electric drive is the way to go !.
The newer affordable BEV’s now have the range to suit both my needs and my pocket, the big problem now is the lack of availability of course !.
Hopefully this situation will improve in 2020 - it has to !!!.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
By new GTE, I mean a new second-hand one. Probably a 2017 one with the advanced cockpit and traffic jam assist. Maybe heated seats too. Those are the only features I really want.

If I couldn't get a GTE I'd have to consider the Mini Countryman PHEV, but not a big fan of a big Mini, always seen as a bit silly to me.

After the GTE, I hope the Model 3 or long-range i3 is cheap enough 2nd hand; not a massive fan of the Kona or Leaf. I don't, and never have, bought new cars.

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
Bit of wishfull thinking on our behalf maybe !!!.
Unless we know the full “Back Story” regarding this car, we maybe getting a little to excited to quickly !.
Did you read article? 6700 cars affected! It doesn't sound like many where sold in UK though and obviously if you did a new factory order it won't be affected. Someone who bought a "pre-reg" or dealer demo might be "lucky" ;)

VW sold pre-production test vehicles for years rather than crush them

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Did you read article? 6700 cars affected! It doesn't sound like many where sold in UK though and obviously if you did a new factory order it won't be affected. Someone who bought a "pre-reg" or dealer demo might be "lucky" ;)

VW sold pre-production test vehicles for years rather than crush them
Of course I read the article ?.
6700 cars spread across Europe sure does limit the chances of any U.K. bound cars being affected !.
To be in with any chance, I think you would have to own one of the first GTE’s that entered this country !.

·
Night Blue Golf GTE Nav
159 Posts
Mine is ex demo registered August 2015, with no CarNet App or CarPlay etc. Just wishful thinking I suppose!

·
driving ev's forward since 2008...
42 Posts
Yep VW have asked for mine back (2015 plate) although the letter doesn't state the exact reasons when I've phoned VAG twice they've said it's due to emissions.

What's really annoying is that I like the car allot and their is no proactive interest from VW to get me into another, it's taken me 5 attempts plus an unsuccessful dealer walk-in to get any assistance whilst VAG took a week to return my call.

Just phoned BMW on the i3 and they couldn't do more than enough to get me into their showroom and offered to drop a car down for a 24hr test drive.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts