Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a newbie waiting for my first EV to be delivered. I ordered an e-niro from Kia towards the end of September 2019 and I've just had an email from the dealer estimating an arrival of June/July this year. :confused:

I've seen so many reports of problems with chargers, smart meters and tariffs from energy suppliers, I thought I'd better get the ball rolling to decide what might be best for me, as it seems to take a few months to get this sorted. I want to be ready to order when I have the VIN number of my car.

I wonder if anyone has any positive stories to share to he me make a decision? I don't currently have a smart meter installed and I'm based in the Manchester area.

Thanks for your comments! ?鈥嶁檪

Registered
I have gone with octopus ? cheapest rates and meters were installed within 2 weeks although this doesn鈥檛 seem the norm. It鈥檚 not all working yet so definitely worth switching soon to iron out the kinks. My link is below if you do change. ? Pod-Point is my choice for a home charger and was around 3 weeks to install professional and no issues on the day. But you may want a Zappi or something that supports off peak charging if your car can鈥檛 be set itself to do it.

Registered
Many people here are with Octopus...and I am too, in one location. The "Go" tariff is probably the best deal there is for medium to high users at present. Agile is also interesting, but as per other threads on this forum there are many reports of problems with smart metering / billing at this stage...might be one for the enthusiastic early adopter for a few months yet!

At another location I'm with Bulb and, for straightforward good service, they're the ones I'd recommend. I have just signed up to a time of use tariff that gives very cheap overnight rates, moderately cheap daytime rates and a peak rate for three hours in the early evening (respectively, about 8p, 12p and 25p per kilowatt hour). Too early to say how this will go but so far they have been good. Referral codes for both Bulb and Octopus below...!

On the home charger front I have gone with Andersen EV. Their units are undoubtedly expensive, but I really like the high-end look and very neat (out of sight) cable management. The installation with mine was excellent, very neat and tidy with a knowledgeable electrician who was prepare to take his time and do a very neat job. I have had a couple of minor problems with the WiFi / app connectivity since and the customer service has been good so again I am very happy to recommend them. I'm in Skipton and I believe the installer who came to me also covers Manchester.

Hope this helps and good luck...!

Reactions: jgpev

Registered
Iam with Octopus and waiting for smart meter install this week before switching to GO. However before this I was with Bulb and they were very good (just could not get a low cost rate with them as they are deliberately slow to install smart meters).

As to home charger I used ChargedEV and had no problems but Iam sure Podpoint would be fine.

Registered
Also with Octopus Go as best rate I could find for overnight charging (5p/ kW between 12.30-4.30am). I left Bulb partly on price but also because their customer service has fallen badly over the past 12-18 months. Pretty similar to my experience at Ecotricity and Good Energy. When young and small, they were great. As they grew, they seemed to lose the ability to get my name and address right (and my billing at times!).

We have an EO Mini Pro charger. The charger I like, but I wouldn't recommend the installer that EO put us in touch with. EO made a big thing about getting a 拢100 discount as an Octopus customer, only for us to find anybody could get the product online for the discounted price!

Also, we have a small problem with the charger (the light on the front seems to say the charger is permanently on) that EO haven't dealt with.

We went for a tethered unit, so no getting cables out of the car each charge. Worth the extra, I'd say, but it doesn't leave you with a coil of cable and no hook to hang it on!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Iam with Octopus and waiting for smart meter install this week before switching to GO. However before this I was with Bulb and they were very good (just could not get a low cost rate with them as they are deliberately slow to install smart meters).

As to home charger I used ChargedEV and had no problems but Iam sure Podpoint would be fine.
Let us know how the install goes. I've heard there can be issues with Octopus receiving half-hourly data from the meters but hope all goes well. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
On the home charger front I have gone with Andersen EV. Their units are undoubtedly expensive, but I really like the high-end look and very neat (out of sight) cable management. The installation with mine was excellent, very neat and tidy with a knowledgeable electrician who was prepare to take his time and do a very neat job. I have had a couple of minor problems with the WiFi / app connectivity since and the customer service has been good so again I am very happy to recommend them. I'm in Skipton and I believe the installer who came to me also covers Manchester.

Hope this helps and good luck...!
Thanks for the information! I'd be interested to know who your installer was. :)

Registered
Can you say why you wouldn't recommend your installer and who it was?
I don't think I should as they can't give their side of the story.

My advice, though, is buy the unit and get somebody local to fit it. Ask to complete the satisfaction survey when you've had a chance to inspect everything, and do it yourself, don't let the installer tick the boxes.

And make sure you know what you are paying for. We got charged the full cost of a non-standard cable even though the installer claimed the standard cost back from OLEV.

Registered

My advice, though, is buy the unit and get somebody local to fit it. Ask to complete the satisfaction survey when you've had a chance to inspect everything, and do it yourself, don't let the installer tick the boxes.

And make sure you know what you are paying for. We got charged the full cost of a non-standard cable even though the installer claimed the standard cost back from OLEV.
Caveat Emptor. I believe that I am correct in saying that if OLEV is involved in anyway then the installation has to be carried out by an OLEV-approved installer (who might be a local electrician). Clearly, buying the unit direct from a manufacturer or wholesaler and using a local electrician is a personal choice. My only note of caution - based on my personal experience - is that not all electricians have read the bit in the Regulations about installing EV chargers.

Registered
Caveat Emptor. I believe that I am correct in saying that if OLEV is involved in anyway then the installation has to be carried out by an OLEV-approved installer (who might be a local electrician). Clearly, buying the unit direct from a manufacturer or wholesaler and using a local electrician is a personal choice. My only note of caution - based on my personal experience - is that not all electricians have read the bit in the Regulations about installing EV chargers.
Agreed, if you want the grant, the electrician needs to be approved. I thought I was contracting EO to do the work, when in fact they were selling the unit to the installer. It was not explained that I could use a different installer.

Registered
I had the Zappi 2 installed by a local company in Manchester. They did a great job. Also got my Smets meter fitted by Octopus on Friday. just waiting for the GO tariff to go live.
Feel free to DM me if you want to come and see the install. I鈥檓 in South Manchester, and can completely recommend the installer.

Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
Provided you have the "vin number" of your vehicle you can get your charger installed with OLEV grant, I had mine 4 months before I got the car
If you don't have the VIN yet, a scan of your car order form will do.
That's what BP Chargemaster told me they needed to install a wallbox before my Zoe arrives.

Registered

My ChargedEV experience was rubbish, from the admin side. The installers who visited and attempted the install seemed good, but the back office were rubbish. Their side of the story? I'll never know. It's not like they will tell anyone their costs/margins, or their criteria for fobbing people off with promised phone calls that never materialised.

Registered
Pair of: Zappi and Octopus GO work very well for us.
  • 5p/kwh (00:30 - 04:30) without the hassle of Economy7 expensive peak cost.
  • schedule can be done either from Zappi (set to Eco+ even without PV and then set the Boost Timer) or from car.
Additionally you support green energy industry and electricity is not expensive at all.

Registered
24 hours on and still my Zappi is failing! It has not worked as it should since installation.
I have NEVER got the timer to work
The app does not 'see' my van as being plugged in so I need to go outside and physically hit the button to Boost charge it!
The Excess solar yesterday was sent to the grid! (My Powerwall2 was full) Nothing went to the Eddi or the Zappi despite having over 2k peak excess!

DO NOT BUY A ZAPPI.

My Solar PV array, Inverter, Powerwall and Octopus are all 10/10 in terms of my experience and meeting expectation. The Zappi, and MyEneergi kit in general, is IMHO junk! Expensive Junk! If its NOT.. I hope MyEnergi come and fix it or I will be taking it out and demanding a full refund!!!

Registered
At another location I'm with Bulb and, for straightforward good service, they're the ones I'd recommend. I have just signed up to a time of use tariff that gives very cheap overnight rates, moderately cheap daytime rates and a peak rate for three hours in the early evening (respectively, about 8p, 12p and 25p per kilowatt hour).
11p all day with EDF

1 - 20 of 25 Posts