Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone working on performance upgrades for the Roadster? I would like to know if there is anyone offering higher performing motors etc?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Is there anyone working on performance upgrades for the Roadster? I would like to know if there is anyone offering higher performing motors etc?
I have an Elise (used to own an Exige, but got soft in my old age :) ). Sorry if I'm teaching grandmother to suck eggs...

First upgrade is the piece of kit in the drivers seat. I can highly recommend Anthony Dunn: http://www.iwannagofaster.com/ I've done a few days with him, and it makes a world of difference.

On the Elise platform it is always good to take the car for a geo check, a few adjustments here and there make all the difference to how the car handles.

Then you are looking at tyres, brakes (even if just upgrading pads), then suspension and lastly power.

I'm currently at stage 3 with my Elise, Nitrons next then a supercharged Honda engine swap, but it was still more than enough for this years road trip :)

Stelvio.jpg

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been considering a carbon brake upgrade on the car. It would significantly reduce the unsprung and rotating weight of the car whilst improving braking. I'm also considering the faster steering rack for the elise which should improve the steering response. I have already made some adjustments to the arb's on the car.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've been thinking about this and come to the conclusion that without upgrading the PEM as well and then the cooling systems etc, its possibly too much effort and cost to upgrade much on the car. Also, trying to decode the car's systems to program more power to the motor etc is way beyond my knowledge!

All I can recommend it doing the brakes... I have upgraded all brakes to better steel brakes and it makes a world of difference to stopping power.

Just as a note, carbon discs and pads will certainly help but I would personally struggle to justify the improvement over a good set of steel brakes. Getting ones that work very well from cold is difficult as well. I've done a decent amount of work on carbon brakes and on track they are superb, really cannot beat them. On the road where they spend most of their life at 30 degrees however, I'd say its difficult to beat proper steel brakes.

I have Alcon front discs, bells, pads and callipers and went for EBC Ultimax USR 308mm Slotted Sport Brake Discs VX220 and Mintex 1144 Brake pads from www.seriouslylotus.com

The rears were much cheaper than the Alcon fronts but overall the brakes work very well.

Have you got the wider front tyre or standard? If you struggle with understeer which I think is very common with the standard tyre, go for the sport tyre 'upgrade' which is just a wider front! I can get tyre measurements if you want...
Then with upgraded discs on the front you get the double benefit of more tyre grip and better brakes to make use of it.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I've been thinking about this and come to the conclusion that without upgrading the PEM as well and then the cooling systems etc, its possibly too much effort and cost to upgrade much on the car. Also, trying to decode the car's systems to program more power to the motor etc is way beyond my knowledge!

All I can recommend it doing the brakes... I have upgraded all brakes to better steel brakes and it makes a world of difference to stopping power.

Just as a note, carbon discs and pads will certainly help but I would personally struggle to justify the improvement over a good set of steel brakes. Getting ones that work very well from cold is difficult as well. I've done a decent amount of work on carbon brakes and on track they are superb, really cannot beat them. On the road where they spend most of their life at 30 degrees however, I'd say its difficult to beat proper steel brakes.

I have Alcon front discs, bells, pads and callipers and went for EBC Ultimax USR 308mm Slotted Sport Brake Discs VX220 and Mintex 1144 Brake pads from www.seriouslylotus.com

The rears were much cheaper than the Alcon fronts but overall the brakes work very well.

Have you got the wider front tyre or standard? If you struggle with understeer which I think is very common with the standard tyre, go for the sport tyre 'upgrade' which is just a wider front! I can get tyre measurements if you want...
Then with upgraded discs on the front you get the double benefit of more tyre grip and better brakes to make use of it.
I've gone for the Mintex 1144s on mine too and they are miles better than OEM, however they aren't as good as Carbone Lorraines or Pagid RS4-2s. My car is however a weekend road car, not a track car. I did get some fade coming down the Stelvio Pass, but I suspect more down to lack of braided hoses.

Completely agree about larger width fronts. Lotus intentionally downsized the front width on the Elise and VX220 to make the car safer in novice hands compared to the Series 1 which had a tendency to end up in hedges when driven by the typical ex hot hatch driver.

I upgraded my fronts to 195s from 175s, I lost a touch of delicacy in the steering, it made a big difference to the braking (bear in mind mine has no ABS, so you could really notice the fronts locking up way earlier than the rears).

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've gone for the Mintex 1144s on mine too and they are miles better than OEM, however they aren't as good as Carbone Lorraines or Pagid RS4-2s. My car is however a weekend road car, not a track car. I did get some fade coming down the Stelvio Pass, but I suspect more down to lack of braided hoses.

Completely agree about larger width fronts. Lotus intentionally downsized the front width on the Elise and VX220 to make the car safer in novice hands compared to the Series 1 which had a tendency to end up in hedges when driven by the typical ex hot hatch driver.

I upgraded my fronts to 195s from 175s, I lost a touch of delicacy in the steering, it made a big difference to the braking (bear in mind mine has no ABS, so you could really notice the fronts locking up way earlier than the rears).
I would expect one of the highest roads in the Alps would stress any road brakes...!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I've been considering a carbon brake upgrade on the car. It would significantly reduce the unsprung and rotating weight of the car whilst improving braking. I'm also considering the faster steering rack for the elise which should improve the steering response. I have already made some adjustments to the arb's on the car.
I have a 1998 Lotus Elise EV which has the last of the Aluminium Ceramic matrix disks. Not to be confused with ceramic disks.
They are brilliant, super light and never wear out as the ceramic powder protects the aluminium.
I spoke once to one of the manufacturers in the US and he told me that Tesla did look at using them but declined in the end.
They weigh about a quarter of the weight of a standard disk and apart from track days, I reckon they are as good as any disk for the road. They don't rust and don't spray black powder on to the wheels.
Regen will help to overcome the original argument that they couldn't take track day abuse.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Bugger......spotted.
Its about time I updated it a bit as the Vortex has been on the road for two years now using the same drive as the Elise.
Hopefully, this winter will see an Azure inverter and drive upgrade to it as it is too heavy for the ex Ford Ranger motor.

·
Registered
551 Posts
@Russ I'm guessing this is you?

http://www.evalbum.com/1454

Very nice work!
Nice Job @Russ ! Since lotus/Zytec first showed an electric Elise 10+ years ago I was hooked - EV's could be fun !
But unlike you, I didn't have the balls to convert an Elise myself (did a smart instead).
But the itch remained !
Outstanding work - whats the current (!) status ? (did I hear on another thread its waiting for battery cells ? )

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Bouncing this thread...

I presume the VX220 variant of this fits the Roadster?

Lotus Sport 308mm Brake Upgrade Kit (All S2, Europa S and VX220) - Braking
My understanding is yes, though you might be able to go even bigger on the Roadster with the larger diameter wheels, and the £320 uplift for VX fitment seems steep.

I know a lot of VX owners swapped the bearing assembly for Elise fitments (Which I believe are originally from something particularly pedestrian like an Astra diesel, so pretty cheap) . The main motivator here being the availability of much lighter forged wheel sets (not just brakes).

Changing To S2 Elise Wheels? - Tuning & Modifications - VX220 Owners Club

Whether or not going to 4 bolts given the Tesla's heavier loadings, I couldn't comment, but it's a thought that does open up far more possibilities.

Sticking to 5 bolt wheels, these are currently causing some excitement in the Lotus forums:
OXID eShop 4 | KT-Sport forged wheel Exige S V6 | purchase online

Lots of Exige owners are clamouring for forged wheels to fit the V6's 5 stud pattern, and unfortunately they still aren't available as OEM parts.

Lastly I would be worried about just doing the fronts. My Elise originally had mismatched pads front and rear fitted by the previous owner. The braking balance was awful (exaggerated in that case admittedly by lack of ABS/ servo) changing out for cheaper but common pads all round actually improved braking distance.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought the wheels on the roadster sport were already forged?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@(redacted) good point!

Though I can't see the VX220 guys putting £3k Tesla wheels on £7k cars ;)

The bigger motivator for the VX guys is there is plenty of choice in Elise sizes and they are readily available on eBay.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts