Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very limited use of our new AP3 X with autopilot but here's what I've discovered so far.

1. When passing HGV's on motorway car seems to stay not leave enough room for me to be comfortable. A small drift from the HGV and brown trouser time. I'd prefer the car to hug more to right of lane in this situation.

2. It's not smooth when following, It's almost like a nervous driver, unable to maintain a smooth steady following distance. It slows down too much and leaves too much space.

3. resting your hand at the bottom of the wheel is OK for it not to nag you.

4. When you change lanes it beeps, and disengages but doesn't re-engage automatically. Annoying for 2 reasons, firstly our Kona re-engages itself as soon as it re-acquires the new lane without this you're on off all the time even in light traffic, secondly you can't turn the bing bong noise off and it wakes up passengers. Surely they can't expect you to pay £6k for FSD so that it will re-engage after a lane change. This is the WORST feature of our fantastic new car.

Does AP1 and AP2 work better for 1 and 2 above, and therefore should AP3 improve over time?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
AP2 is the same code as AP3 but on older hardware. I wouldn't expect to see any difference.

AP1 is completely different.

On your point 1) AP1 doesn't generally hug the opposite side of the lane when overtaking, but it does an adequate and competent job. I suspect part of your problem is that you have bought a VERY wide vehicle and aren't yet used to how close the stuff alongside you is. I know it took me thousands of miles to become comfortable (in an S) with how little space there is between me and the vehicles either side.

On your point 2) AP1 is massively better. AP2/3 is appallingly bad in the UK for reasons no-one outside of Tesla clearly understands. US owners do not seem to have the same twitchiness and panic braking for nothing.

It will probably improve eventually. It's actually gone backwards this year, it used to be better than it is now.

On 4) Yup £6k for a very ponderous auto lane change is a joke, and the beeps/annoyance are a deliberate sales tactic to push "FSD".

Look for a quarter-end fire sale price on the FSD upgrade.

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
Major update coming in a August that might make FSD worth it.

I currently have grandfathered NoA, so don’t have these annoyances.

·
Registered
154 Posts
1. Mine tends to sit dead in the middle of a lane and you get used to it after a while. Never hit a truck yet! But yes it would be nice if it shuffled over a bit when passing them.

2. I'm not having this issue. You do realise that you can adjust the following distance by twisting the AP stalk (setting distance 1-7)? As for leaving too much space, I really don't think so. If anything it doesn't even follow the 2 sec safety rule of thumb, especially not on the lower settings. You have to remember that most people drive way too close on motorways.

3. That does work, but not a very safe way to drive if you need to take over control instantly.

4. Absolutely agree!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought an S with AP2 sooo...

1. I feel it sits left in the lane but I was following another S that was behaving like it was on AP based on the slow lane changes and it was dead centre in the lane. I suspect we are just paranoid with the big car

2. I feel the car drives like a new driver, it doesn't drift to change lane it steers which jerks the head and the breaking while following is horrible, not smooth at all. Don't get me started on the half way through a lane change when it times out thing, that needs new underwear :)

3. My S isn't happy with the resting handing, it keeps asking for me to move the wheel occasionally but since I still don't trust nervous nellie to drive I hold the wheel anyway.

4. I'm liking the lane change at the moment, it is a little slow to make the maneuver so you have to plan ahead, it just scares the willies out of me when it times out.

I really hope the next major update smooths things out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts