Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had a couple of weeks where the battery on one of my other cars has gone flat due to lack of use. I have purchased a new Optimate 5 trickle charger (69.99) on ebay and am very pleased with the results on the Ampera.. (my existing optimate does not support AGM)

for those of you unaware the MY12 ONLY charges the 12V battery when running using the DC to DC converter from the Traction battery.

The Optimate 5 can charge at 4Ah and I had it on my MY12 for 6 hours today before it stopped charging it and that's despite me having a new battery in December and running it for 30 mins today and yesterday to keep the DC to DC converter topping up the battery.

The charger fits in the boot and you can run the thin power cable out and shut the boot properly and I have a plug in a waterproof power socket I used to use before I had a dedicated type 2 charger installed. The charger clips go through the two lift up panels in the boot. The optimate comes with a cable you can also hardwire onto the battery to use a plug system as well as the croc clips.

Once you plug it in the charger will go into safe mode until such time as the ampera goes offline after locking it (usually 10 mins) the charger then kicks into high gear and starts the higher powered charging regime.

I had it wedged into the rear window on the voltshelf so I could monitor it without opening the car. That's important as it will go into safe mode eveytime you open the boot or unlock the car as that wakes up the electronics so you won't know its status if you have to open the car.

This replicates the BCM charging process that the MY13 cars runs.from the main charger circuit.

Given the limited use of the car at the moment I will likely run this at least once a week to keep the car batter properly conditioned until after lockdown.

I believe the CTEK chargers wok in a similar way but my trusty optimate III SP is over 10 years old.and I have been using it to keep my other car battery in top condition for many many years

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, I’m away from home at the moment and have mine hooked up to an AA solar charger as it’s not being used, (it’s at home), will have to see what condition the battery is when ever I get back home after the lockdown. :oops:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
You can connect to the battery from under the bonnet using the connectors specifically fitted to the car. It saves lifting the boot floor.

They are on the right hand side at the back. You will see a large pillar with a negative on it and just to the left is a cover you lift to access the main + connection from the battery. I screwed an extension thread in here to better connect to it. 5mm I think it was.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Photos?
You can connect to the battery from under the bonnet using the connectors specifically fitted to the car. It saves lifting the boot floor.

They are on the right hand side at the back. You will see a large pillar with a negative on it and just to the left is a cover you lift to access the main + connection from the battery. I screwed an extension thread in here to better connect to it. 5mm I think it was.
Also this is prob one off the reasons for choosing an MY13

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it you can find a decent MY13 I agree at the time I could not find a decent low mileage example my MY12 is registered dec14 with the appropriate battery warranty and has less than 38k miles when I purchased , today it has 55K miles so likely I will get the full 8 years warranty , you take your chances the power meter and battery charging are nice but before lockdown the ampera was a daily drive and the battery metre is nice but not a show stoppe. Metallic grey electron is mine

·
Registered
177 Posts
C Tek use smaller and probably cooler running switching power supplies but they whine really badly when not under load so could be annoying if you have to have them nearby. Otherwise both brands work well. I've been using an optimate for years.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
C Tek use smaller and probably cooler running switching power supplies but they whine really badly when not under load so could be annoying if you have to have them nearby. Otherwise both brands work well. I've been using an optimate for years.
Never heard any whine from my CTEK (about 8 years old). Was yours ancient or a "fake" copycat?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Never heard any whine from my CTEK (about 8 years old). Was yours ancient or a "fake" copycat?
Feck off, it was genuine CTEK, 5 amp unit, probably about two or three years ago. ;) Switched mode power supplies often whistle audibly, depending on the switching frequency and whether they implement spread-spectrum well enough or not. In this case when the battery finished charging and the charger went into monitoring mode the unloaded power supply would audibly whistle. Under load it seemed quiet.

I get a similar effect on our blu ray player, as it happens. Unloaded switch mode PSUs whine, often, it's just how they are.

Most modern AC adapters are switched-mode power supplies. The internal switching frequency of an SMPS is typically low when unloaded and increases with a load (up to a certain point depending on the design). The no-load frequency is often low enough to be within the human hearing range.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Feck off, it was genuine CTEK, 5 amp unit, probably about two or three years ago. ;) Switched mode power supplies often whistle audibly, depending on the switching frequency and whether they implement spread-spectrum well enough or not. In this case when the battery finished charging and the charger went into monitoring mode the unloaded power supply would audibly whistle. Under load it seemed quiet.

I get a similar effect on our blu ray player, as it happens. Unloaded switch mode PSUs whine, often, it's just how they are.

Most modern AC adapters are switched-mode power supplies. The internal switching frequency of an SMPS is typically low when unloaded and increases with a load (up to a certain point depending on the design). The no-load frequency is often low enough to be within the human hearing range.
What a load of cobblers. I have quite a few switched mode power supplies. The CTek is completely silent in operation, to my ears and daughters sons all early 20s by the way.

The 24v system that runs the solar therm system controls, heating system and which is a top quality UK manufactured system is completely silent.

So excuse me, don't generalise from your own experience and also keep your 4 letters words to yourself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What a load of cobblers. I have quite a few switched mode power supplies. The CTek is completely silent in operation, to my ears and daughters sons all early 20s by the way.
"The CTEK". Oh you mean yours. Or did you actually try mine too?
Ah yeah I forgot this is the internet where no-one will ever admit the possibility that something someone else said could also be true without invalidating what they said...

I have no doubt you have hundreds of switched mode power supplies; I know I do. Most of them are silent, but this one wasn't.

·
Registered
448 Posts

Saved me opening a new thread! Went to the car yesterday and 12v completely dead, not unlocking on the fob, nothing. Was wondering how I would get in to the boot to charge it.
Turns out my 13 plate Volt doesn't keep its 12v charged when plugged in.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts