Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am currently looking for an API that I can integrate into a website to verify the registered vehicle's registration number entered into the website are indeed Electric Vehicles. Do any one on this forum know where I can get such an API?

Greatly Appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this DVLA website https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk. where you enter your registration number and make, the site then returns information such as fuel type = electric and tax, which is obviously not taxed because it is electric, these two information can then be used to confirm that the car is indeed electric.

I am just looking for a method where I can integrate this to the website for validation, the information is free. Any developers out there?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I am under the impression that the terms and conditions for that website are you only check your own car, the dvla make money from selling their data so will be monitoring.

If you did a screen scrape script with e.g. phantomjs you could get the data out by parsing the HTML.

But I don't think it would be legal. .. Although to be fair I see nothing in the t&cs on the beta site ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am under the impression that you use the website to check vehicles that you might be interested in buying before they become yours. So ensuring the details giving by the seller checks out correctly.

So i don't think the use is limited to your own vehicle check.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I am under the impression that the terms and conditions for that website are you only check your own car, the dvla make money from selling their data so will be monitoring.

If you did a screen scrape script with e.g. phantomjs you could get the data out by parsing the HTML.

But I don't think it would be legal. .. Although to be fair I see nothing in the t&cs on the beta site ...
Interestingly this is the licence..
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/2/

So I guess you could use it commercially.

Looking at the HTML output it does look like a nasty mix of asp.net (complete with viewstate) and jQuery, rather than an ajax call, so I think you are right, screen scrape is the way forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi P
Indeed, not sure I'd base a venture on screen scraping a source which may not be a stable provider of the data in the longer term?
Hi Paul,

The DVLA is not what I would call 'not a stable provider of data'

However what do you suggest?

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Hi Paul,

The DVLA is not what I would call 'not a stable provider of data'

However what do you suggest?
Not a common on the DVLA, more the act of scraping a site which begins with "BETA: This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it" and all that might entail, plus potential unknown future licensing may result in unpredictable results (or worse). It may not... seems a gamble to me.

I've never needed such a service so don't know who or where to recommend, it could even be worth trying to contact the DVLA direct, although I've never had much luck on the phone to them for even quite trivial things!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you were considering buying a car, and wanted to know if it was electric, surely you would know that from the advertisement, description, or from the vendor direct. It's fairly obvious this statement is a smokescreen in order to access DVLA records for your own commercial pursuits and activities.

If you're planning on indexing any information relating to a vehicles registration, owner, activities, etc, then I'd be a little more concerned with making sure your own database and website is compliant with the Data Protection Act.

Car sharing may be an interesting idea, but perhaps you'd like to explain who insures the vehicle and what guarantee you provide to the owner in the event their car is stolen, becomes damaged, or is written off, whilst in the hands of one of your clientele? Likewise what assurances are you able to give for vetting borrowers for having a clean licence and no past dubious history with insurance claims or accidents?
It is not a car sharing scheme and there is an API provided by www.carweb.co.uk a reputable vehicle data provider that can be utilized.

But thanks for your input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Begging one's pardon, but what appears on the mainpage of...

But this...

"Earn extra income while you share your car. Be rewarded..."

So clearly it has absolutely nothing to do with car sharing then, huh... :rolleyes:
Hi Qdos

Thanks for checking out the holding page.

However, it is a different business model to a car sharing scheme, more will be revealed closer to launch...

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
I would be very concerned by this business model. There seem to be two ways this could work:

1) You run a site that allows a stranger to turn up at someone's house, take their car keys and drive off in their (relatively new and really quite expensive) car unaccompanied for a while. But it's ok because they promise to bring it back, and you have their email address. Or,
2) You run a site that puts two strangers in touch with each other and arrange for one of them to take the other out into the countryside in a car. But hey, everyone is 100% trustworthy.

I urge you to get legal advice before going any further.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts