Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after a few months of getting increasingly more frustrated with the shocking Android Auto integration on the GTE my phone updated AA to version 1.6.240030 and it connected within seconds this morning!

No more endless loop of "found nexus 5, doing something with bluetooth, connecting, unknown device, found nexus 5 etc etc etc"!

Early days yet but to say I'm relieved is an understatement! Now I just need them to get my schedules and driving data working on Car Net :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
That sounds positive. I was expecting I would run into issues when I finally get the car (Hopefully by next week). However I own an LG G3 phone which from what I read has its own set of issues with VW App connect. I will post when I work out how mine is working.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, so day 2 after the update and things aren't perfect but they are massively improved. This morning phone connected first time again but the screen on the MIB stayed black so just needed to reset the head unit and then it worked.

Still get some moments where the screen is barely responsive but I think that's an MIB issue rather than the AA software

·
Registered
BMW I3s
273 Posts
my phone updated AA to version 1.6.240030
I have a Nexus 6 and running AA version 1.5.100945 which is the latest release as of 02.12.15, so just wondering were you got the update from?

AA works with no issues on my MiB 2 discover pro.

·
Registered
BMW I3s
273 Posts
Unrooted here too.. I have found the API for your version, I'm leaving mine as it is as it works fine for me.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Having had my car 2 weeks now I thought I would post how I am getting on with Android Auto. I am using the latest version of Android Auto 1.6 on an unrooted LG G3 running stock Lollipop.

When connected it works excellently. The Google Maps interface seems well thought out. It switches to night mode when the headlights are switched on - a nice touch. Voice control works well by pressing the screen but I was slightly disappointed to find that not having specified the voice control option (£190 extra as I did not opt for Nav Pro), I could not use this. I was relieved to find I could still listen to the radio while App Connect was open and switch between the VW CMS screens and App connect as needed.

There are a good range of supported music and audio apps. Have only really tried Goggle Music so far. It works well overall. It restarts where I left off which I like as I tend to listen to books and podcasts. Frustratingly I can't seem to get it to navigate within a track easily - the progress bar does not seem to allow you to scroll through it. Skipping forward and back between tracks is straightforward though. Anyone know a better way to navigate.

I will experiment with other apps like Audible, Stitcher and Jet Audio in due course.

I know from posts a lot of people have had trouble with unreliable connection of their phones requiring reboot. So far I seem to have found a sequence to connect and disconnect which seems to avoid these problems.
1. Have bluetooth on which connects to the car first
2. Connect USB lead (using my original that came with the phone)
3. Open App Connect on the car.
4. Select and connect the phone within App Connect if it does not do so automatically.
The key bit to avoid problems for reconnecting later seems to be the disconnection sequence below. When you just pull out the USB lead my phone seems to think it is still connected and then refused to talk to the car when I try to reconnect it later.
5. Hit bottom right button in Android Auto
6. Return to Volkswagen button.
7. Hit the Disconnect button - 2nd on the left from the bottom
8. Quickly pull the USB out before it automatically tries to reconnect.

If the car fails to connect the most reliable way to sort seems to be a phone reboot rather than a car media system reboot.

I did leave the phone connected in the car once with the engine switched off and car locked. When I started up again everything reconnected fine.

The above is based on my first couple of weeks with the car. If anyone with more experience with the system can suggest improvements or additions to the above please post.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Useful info @doccb1979. I've listened to an entire audio book on audible and it works fine - you get the 30 second skip (forwards and back) buttons and play/pause so it's pretty simple. Can't remember if you get a top right (3 horizontal lines) menu for perhaps navigating between chapters.

Listen to a lot of music on Google Music and the most frustrating thing is not being able to navigate by artist and it doesn't seem to pick up every playlist that I've created - an Android Auto issue though so can't blame that one on VW. The added feature of AA v1.6 (being able to browse your full library when parked) DOES NOT seem to work - I don't know if that's because the car doesn't tell AA the parking break is engaged - shame really as I'd find it useful!

I still get touch screen issues which I'm unsure as to whether it's AA or the headunit - a reboot of the headunit sorts it out (I find this easier and faster than rebooting the phone but that might also work).

The only issue I've experienced since the AA update to 1.6 has been a couple of times AA has connected and everything is working fine but when I try and use the phone it tells me it isn't connected via bluetooth. It's only happened twice and a headunit reboot didn't work and then when I rebooted the phone it seemed to need pairing again so not sure what's going on here.

With regards to disconnecting, I just turn off the ignition and pull the cable out and my connection procedure is usually turn ignition on and plug in the cable regardless of whether BT has connected yet or not.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One last thing (for now!) is that my biggest frustration with AA nav is that I can't see an easy way to navigate to an address in your contacts. You can give a command like 'text Joe Bloggs' but you can't say 'navigate to Joe Bloggs' - unless I'm missing something?

Also, what did you mean about not being able to use voice commands? Do you mean the voice command button on the steering wheel? If so, I didn't select that option so mine doesn't work which seems a bit crap but the voice button on screen works just fine

·
Registered
893 Posts
@GTEd I will try your connect and disconnect procedure and see how I get on. If it works it is simpler than mine. I have a few instances where my LG G3 still thinks it is connected and won't reconnect. Do you get this on your Nexus 5 and if so what do you find is the best way to solve it? Is there a way to do it without taking the time to reboot the phone?

That is a pity about calling a contact. I was just getting to like that function on Google Now.

I was referring to not being able to use the steering wheel button to activate voice commands. I have no problem using the screen button. From what I read I could activate it but it would need to be at least half the option price of £190 for me to find it worth it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Apparently if you hold the steering wheel button down it will launch the Google now voice input.
Yes but only IF you have the Voice Control option which I don't have. I just get a message saying I can contact a dealer to get an activation code.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes but only IF you have the Voice Control option which I don't have. I just get a message saying I can contact a dealer to get an activation code.
From another forum:

Try holding in the voice button to use Googles voice recognition. From what I understand , one press is vw voice which you don't have. Long press is via app connect.

·
Registered
893 Posts
From another forum:

Try holding in the voice button to use Googles voice recognition. From what I understand , one press is vw voice which you don't have. Long press is via app connect.
@MelonMan its a pity I am limited to just one like for this incredibly useful titbit of information. Thank you for taking the time to post it on this forum.

I tried it today and it works just as you said. Long press of the voice steering wheel button activates voice within Android Auto. Works a treat. No need for the paid option, I can live without the rest of the voice control for the media system. I just need to look up and learn all the possible voice commands now.

Reactions: GTEJesper

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm glad it works.
I have a Passat on order so have been looking into app connect, unfortunately I can't change my order but I'm looking whether it is worth the £200 dealer retrofit.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would say a resounding yes. I had initial problems but sorted now and use it all the time.

I had to pay £267 for mine. £199 for the activation key and the rest labour cost. Yep. Ridiculous. Saying that i could have got it for £200 from another dealer but it was clear just speaking to them they knew very little about the product. Where I went the guy was extremely knowledgable and gave me a demo.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm glad it works.
I have a Passat on order so have been looking into app connect, unfortunately I can't change my order but I'm looking whether it is worth the £200 dealer retrofit.
I would say a resounding yes. I had initial problems but sorted now and use it all the time.

I had to pay £267 for mine. £199 for the activation key and the rest labour cost. Yep. Ridiculous. Saying that i could have got it for £200 from another dealer but it was clear just speaking to them they knew very little about the product. Where I went the guy was extremely knowledgable and gave me a demo.
I would say yes as well. Although I paid £100 specifying from build I would have been prepared to pay double for the functionality. If you compare it to buying a lot of tablets or phones £200 does not seem too bad. I also look at it as a certain amount of future-proofing for the navigation and media in the car, far better that what VW offer with "Guide and Inform". Google and Apple will probably improve their offerings and functionality with time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts