21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Reactions: GTEd

·
Registered
893 Posts
I recently upgraded my LG G3 phone to Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Connection reliability with the phone seems to have improved a lot with the update.

However GPS is not quite as good at getting a fix. This has not been a significant issue in the Golf but is a big problem in the family Ford S-max which has a quick clear windscreen.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Have been running Android Auto on my new Samsung Galaxy S7 edge with Android Nougat 7.0 for the last few months. Android Auto has been much quicker, slicker and much more reliable on this phone.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Just wanted to flag up to people that you can now use Waze within Android Auto. This article explains:

At long last, Waze has launched for Android Auto | Trusted Reviews

I tried it yesterday and it works pretty well. I need a bit longer with it to see if I will switch over longterm. I missed the alternative routes displayed on Google Maps and there is no option to download maps over a larger area to save data. I will explore the various options over the next few weeks.
Waze now available on Android Auto

Reactions: MrPaulus

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Been using Waze for a month or so on AA under their private beta and it's pretty good for the live traffic etc. Have had some questionable routing fun though!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm on the waze beta test too. It's bloody great isn't it! Yes, a few bugs to iron out but i guess that's the point.

Love having all the android auto features (especially waze police alerts) in my dashboard, feels really nicely integrated

BP

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discovered something new today about the car which is rare as I have owned it for more than a year now. I am sharing in case some were not aware.

Previously I always opened android auto by pressing the menu key that then the select knob. That always bugged me as it requires two button presses to open it when what I would have preferred is a dedicated key. I was also aware that a long press of the voice control key on the steering wheel operated voice control within Android Auto.

By accident today I long pressed the voice control key when I was not within Android Auto. It switched straight to the android auto screen and activated voice control. Much easier than several button presses I thought I needed. I assume the functionality will be similar for Apple Carplay but have no way of checking.

Reactions: GTEd and BP82

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Discovered something new today about the car which is rare as I have owned it for more than a year now. I am sharing in case some were not aware.

Previously I always opened android auto by pressing the menu key that then the select knob. That always bugged me as it requires two button presses to open it when what I would have preferred is a dedicated key. I was also aware that a long press of the voice control key on the steering wheel operated voice control within Android Auto.

By accident today I long pressed the voice control key when I was not within Android Auto. It switched straight to the android auto screen and activated voice control. Much easier than several button presses I thought I needed. I assume the functionality will be similar for Apple Carplay but have no way of checking.
Brilliant!! I too discovered this only 3 weeks ago after nearly 1.5 years!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts