Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.
Newbie question here.... struggling to choose a charger for new Seat Mii

Noticed a couple on the market that sneakily revert to a ‘dumb’ charger after 3 years unless a monthly subscription charge of £3-5 per month is paid! (Rolec, eo mini pro)

Are there any others like this that I should avoid the ‘trap’ of?

Narrowed down to most likely a Wallbox Pulsar, or an Ohme on this basis- but not a fan of the lights on the Wallbox (and cost of running them), and the Ohme is so untidy to look at...

Company car, and I need to foot the bill for the charger/install (Grant will apply) so trying to keep costs to a minimum.
Based Bournemouth - advice welcome please!

thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you want something nice to look at, go for an Andersen A2. However, that won't meet the minimum cost part of the brief. For that, go for an Ohme with Commando lead on the Octopus customer deal and stick it in a box for camouflage...although the Ohme does use a SIM if you want the smart charging aspects, but why not use the car's charge scheduling and have it as a dumb charger?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want something nice to look at, go for an Andersen A2. However, that won't meet the minimum cost part of the brief. For that, go for an Ohme with Commando lead on the Octopus customer deal and stick it in a box for camouflage...although the Ohme does use a SIM if you want the smart charging aspects, but why not use the car's charge scheduling and have it as a dumb charger?
Thanks for the quick reply! I’ve not included Anderson as I’m being tight ;) hmmm maybe the Ohme in a box wouldn’t be a bad idea....tidier and more subtle all round.... will need to check I have the space. It’s either that or hide it behind the side gate (an extra hurdle to charging but again maybe more secure and less likely to draw attention)

RE Ohme, do you know if it works on WiFi/Bluetooth as well as SIM? Trying to futureproof and while Ohme apparently pick up that cost now, it would be ideal to have an option if they change their minds in future...

I’m waiting to hear back from SEAT about whether I can schedule charging via the app; trying to find any information on details like this seems to be such a minefield- having spoken to them last week I don’t fancy my chances of a call back any time soon....

·
Registered
752 Posts
RE Ohme, do you know if it works on WiFi/Bluetooth as well as SIM? Trying to futureproof and while Ohme apparently pick up that cost now, it would be ideal to have an option if they change their minds in future...
Unfortunately not - SIM only. However, if you can schedule using the car then don't worry about it, if you don't set any schedules it defaults to a dumb charger and (with the Octopus discount) it's the cheapest way there is to get a 7kW unit. There are lots of threads on here about how to install, basically it's a 32A commando socket and (assuming you're on PME earthing) a neutral fault detection device such as a Matt.E or Garo. You won't be eligible for the grant, but most people have still found it to be cheaper than paying for an "official" installation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately not - SIM only. However, if you can schedule using the car then don't worry about it, if you don't set any schedules it defaults to a dumb charger and (with the Octopus discount) it's the cheapest way there is to get a 7kW unit. There are lots of threads on here about how to install, basically it's a 32A commando socket and (assuming you're on PME earthing) a neutral fault detection device such as a Matt.E or Garo. You won't be eligible for the grant, but most people have still found it to be cheaper than paying for an "official" installation.
Thank you again. I have to be honest, there’s a lot in there that is basically a foreign language to me- I’m not a techie and no idea about commando sockets, installs, earthing and so on. I will take a closer look at Ohme, and perhaps contact Octopus for advice (I’m with them on ‘go’ anyway) but will probably just end up flipping a coin and hoping that by the time 3 years have passed SEAT can confirm I’ll be able to schedule using the car app, or there’ll be a free app I can use to schedule! Thanks again for taking the time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts