Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's collection was UNBELIEVABLY stressful for me!

I was due to collect from Leeds because Manchester wasn't available available on the website for collection. A week ago they gave me my reg number, it was going to be Yorkshire registered (YB21 ***). I enquired as to whether they might be able to send the car to Trafford Park Manchester (much closer) as I'd heard (on here) that cars were going there. The following day they text me (and updated my account) telling me it was going to Manchester. I get there in reasonable time, there was my lovely model 3 on its YB21 registration plate and I just passed comment that mine was easy to find off the reg because it was the odd one out, shortly a member of staff asked if there was a problem with the reg. and I said "No all's fine, I'm happy with it and it's insured on this reg" and he said "The other lady's on the phone trying to find out some info, don't leave yet".

Anyway, it turns out the "registration team" had decided without telling ANYONE on the ground, that because my car had been shifted to Manchester, they're registering it onto a Manchester registration number (ML21***) which INSTANTLY made my insurance void and being a Saturday I was on hold with the insurer on the automated system long enough to convince me nobody was answering phones on the weekend so I'm panicking (been stuck without a car for a month already after my own died) and a friend (social bubble of course) had come reasonably out of his way to take me for the car and was sat waiting in the car park "just in case" something went wrong!

Over an hour later my insurance called me back and fortunately I was able to give them the new registration number over the phone so they could be sure I was covered. I was concerned if I did it online it wouldn't be processed quick enough for me to be road legal on the spot!!

Anyway, I like the car. A LOT, so it's not all bad, but my nerves haven't settled 6 hours later!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to be honest, and this is personal to me, I found the whole buying process a nightmare compared to going into a dealership where there's a person there to take care of the whole process. Everyone raves about how simplified it all is when it's done online! I've had issues with their finance company not processing my direct debit instruction (Tesla Loan), making me fear they'll try to take the car or the payments wont go through, affecting my credit...

Anyway, on another note, there's a minor dent on the door and I reported it there and then, and they say I still might have to take it to Leeds for repair and not Stockport!! Not the end of the world, but still!

I'll say this much, how is it that little kids, like 5 years old, know all about Teslas and get really excited when they see them?!! I saw so many pointing at it on the way back home!! :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't think I'd have taken a car with a dent in it.

Did you ever watch Rich Rebuilds' videos about buying a used Tesla? I'm amazed at the guy's patience, as they obviously did not want to sell a car to a black guy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a very small dent above the door handle that can be PDR'd out so as long as they fix it I'll be happy.... Optimistic much?!

I saw Rich's nightmare purchase!! Fortunately he has other vehicles!

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
146 Posts
Hah. Sounds familiar.

Mine was delivered from Edinburgh to me near Dundee in December, arrived with a little ding on a passenger door right down to the metal (probably a stone chip during that drive on the back of a trailer - bad luck but took photos and Tesla fixed it at the bodyshop with some other snagging - no problem), and the wrong plates.

It was just one letter out, any easy mistake to make but shows no QC process designed to catch this kind of thing.

Tesla Edinburgh were apologetic, and the (3rd party) delivery driver even offered to drop by with the correct plates later the same day as it was only a minor detour to his next delivery. Fortunately I was able to talk to my insurers and change the plate with no charge (having checked Tesla hasn't given me another customer's plates).

It was a hassle, but happily I preferred the "new" plate and the timing wasn't critical (still had use of a second car).

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
Not just Tesla, dealer delivered my Hyundai with the wrong plates, a K instead of an X in it. I didn't realise for about a week!

Reactions: DanPaul

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In all honesty the lady dealing with the reg issue was brilliant, while I struggled to get hold of my insurance, she was doing the same in case she got through before me, she said she'll report the incident too. I liked my Yorkshire plate better but in September I'll be putting my own reg on anyway.

I hear you get follow-up contact from Tesla where you can give them feedback on the handover? I'll be doing so if that's the case!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Sorry about your experience, these things can be stressful. Our Renault dealer gave us the wrong plate on the phone before collection (one letter different) and it caused us some concern having to ring the insurers. We have friends who discovered their car had been supplied with different plates on the the front and rear of their car, the numbers were switched. They hadn't noticed for months and had been driving round with one of their plates not being the right one..

Reactions: peterboat

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once the insurer called me back I felt relieved, and I was literally only put out by an hour max so in the grand scheme of things it's not so bad and I love the car. It genuinely took hours for my nerves to settle though 😃

A bit of the "left hand not talking to the right hand" I think the saying goes?

If they'd just called me that morning or even told the delivery staff who were also in the dark, might have been able to sort it in the morning before setting off!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sorry about your experience, these things can be stressful. Our Renault dealer gave us the wrong plate on the phone before collection (one letter different) and it caused us some concern having to ring the insurers. We have friends who discovered their car had been supplied with different plates on the the front and rear of their car, the numbers were switched. They hadn't noticed for months and had been driving round with one of their plates not being the right one..
I purchased years ago a jaguar XJ40 it was a one owner low mileage car stunning condition when I MOTd it later that year I discovered it had a different number on the back to the front and had been that way from new, the front was correct, I knew the owner well and he just smiled saying no wonder he had never had a speeding ticket!! The plates were proper Hatfields plates and original, does make me wonder at times

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little update, the lady I spoke to at Trafford had said she'd feedback my experience and I jokingly said "ooo I might get some complimentary SC miles!!". Well, they e-mailed me a discount code for £90 off their shop which suits me even better!! I'm happy with that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts