Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Transport Minister Baroness Kramer added: “By 2040 all new cars and vans will be ultra-low emission vehicles and this could be delivered by a variety of technologies, including plug-in hybrids, pure EVs and hydrogen. We want to ensure that support is there for all of these vehicles and that the UK continues to lead the pack in providing the right infrastructure to drive the switch to electric.”o_O

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...vest-11million-in-hydrogen-fuel#ixzz3HB4SFIA3

Not sure exactly which pack we are leading with the right infrastructure or what she is talking about with 10 times the UK up take of EVs in The Netherlands and 34 times the UK uptake of EVs in Norway, another oil producing nation :confused:.

The best infrastructure we have in the UK is nothing to do with government, they don't get how to make it work!
Thankfully Ecotricity and Zero Carbon World do and they have been shunned by OLEV!
Apart from claiming how well THEY are doing, all our government seems to do is dump shed loads of tax payer cash in to private companies (which have been invested in first of course, insider trading?) and then wash their hands of it!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I recently sent an e-mail to Baroness Kramer criticising some of her pronouncements . She did not even have the courtesy to acknowledge it let alone reply.

As for those pronouncements I guess that she suffers form a high degree of 'Emperors clothes' in her own information stream. It is apparent that OLEV is unfit for purpose and has failed to change its policies as more information has come in on the charging patterns of owners, and as vehicles have developed. Apart from taking advantage of the 'free' home charger I have not used any of the charge points provided by OLEV funds, which has required a plethora of cards at differing prices, even where the charge point has no fee. The ONLY system which has come close to providing what I need is Ecotricity with its Electric Highway, with some support by Manufacturers own supply points.

I appreciate that other users have differing needs, but I think I am not alone. My main point is that OLEV is not reacting to the ever changing circumstances of the real world.

Unless EV users let Ministers, and local MP's, know the realities as it affect them , Kramer will continue to make such comments and fail to actually do anything usefull.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Funny how Camoron announced "This will be the greenest government ever" then, once in power "We will roll back the green Levy from energy bills" etc:rolleyes:

Then UK energy and climate secretary job goes to Ed Davey and Transport Minister goes to Baroness Kramer.
Genius...so the Tory's show their true colours while they spread Eco FUD and then they engineer the roll out the the Lib Dem's to take the flack from the electoral back lash just before the next election.

Clegg gets absolutely slated after being fronted for one well known U-turn.

Is Camoron getting a bit dizzy yet from all his 180 degree U-turns? Is he getting the same slating for multiple policy reversals on issues of arguably even greater importance? Weird isn't it? Tory owned media?

If Transport Minister Baroness Kramer needs to see how, I am sure we could fund her and her Lib Dem colleague Ed Davy a nice trip to Norway or the Netherlands, I seem to recall she has already been though!

Like it or not, effective public charging infrastructure is a political issue. More enlightened European governments have shown how it can be done successfully. Quite how we can ever achieve that here is a real concern though as things are.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Apart from claiming how well THEY are doing, all our government seems to do is dump shed loads of tax payer cash in to private companies (which have been invested in first of course, insider trading?) and then wash their hands of it!
I would think it must be difficult for them to get it right in an environment of rapid technological change and uncertain market conditions. Yes, the EV charging infrastructure is appalling, though increasingly less so, but it takes time to build a power distribution network so obsolescence is always a risk.
For my part I appreciate the efforts they have made to provide support for EV buyers so they do seem to be spreading it around a bit.
However, I wish they would setup some consultation groups so they can test their ideas with people who live with EVs day to day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.