Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us EV-types are also Apple fans - almost all?

Well the future for Apple in the EV of the future will be announce at Geneva - this week. Its 'Car Play' and will allow you all you Apple functionality on you cars big screen!

In the link below you can see it demonstrated on a Volvo; however, Nissan and Mitsu' have both signed up.

I can't help thinking of the irony for Tesla - they have the big screen - but won't have FaceTime, Itunes, Mail and Safari. I guess that was why they had that big meeting 2 weeks ago!

Such a winner - well done Apple - but can we have EV functionality on Maps - soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hmm. Not sure it would swing a buying decision for me.

I already get most of that functionality at the moment. I have a holder that clips my iPhone to the dash so I can easily see the maps and anything else that is important enough. All the rest of the "Siri" voice recognition and telephone functionality works through the existing bluetooth connection.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Most exciting thing about this whole concept and area of development to me is to make non-critical stuff independent of the vehicle so you can "dock" (physical or bluetooth) whatever device you have and enjoy up to date, connected ICE and GPS functions etc.

·
Registered
991 Posts
It's great and to some extent welcome but it's yet another standards war. We have iOS and this implementation, Google is pushing its own version for Android, and then there is the Mirrorlink Consortium that is trying to coordinate a cross platform solution.

I'm an Apple user, if my next car had it, then great, but until they can all agree to play nice and have a common, cross platform solution it's a waste of time and energy in my opinion. If I buy a 2nd hand car in a few years that has Google's solution I'm not about to junk my investment in iOS, and the same will go for Android users.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Send to car was hugely disappointing, I thought I could plan a trip and send it to the LEAF. No, just the destination, what a waste of time that turned out to be!

Sending full routes would be excellent.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
How many of us EV-types are also Apple fans - almost all?
Whatever gave you that idea?

Send to car was hugely disappointing, I thought I could plan a trip and send it to the LEAF. No, just the destination, what a waste of time that turned out to be!
believe me if you had the ampera's useless sat nav you'd understand why send-to-car is good! I long to be able to easily input a destination. rather than having to google then key in locations.
yes it could be better... as would google maps sat nav, rather than the poor routing offerings we get.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not an Apple fan here. I've always found their conceited stranglehold on their products and distribution unacceptable. Long live android!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
As a designer (and sometime dev) I prefer Apple, as a user, I prefer Apple, but as a technology "guy" I like that Google are pushing things too. You need competition and different platforms or things would be very, very boring.

We recently bought a Chromebook, it was PITA to set to the Google approved printer and it's a plastic toy compared to our Macs, but what it does it does REALLY well, very impressive.

The kids have a Kindle Fire HDX and that's pretty awesome too.

But it'd be hard to convince me to move from iOS and Apple for my day to day devices.

What works for Google also works against them, very inconsistent delivery, but with Apple they wrap it all up so it's easier for them and me.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having Apple may be accused of being a cult thing; every product I've had from Apple works right out of the box. I would never take my EV out (nor my boat) without having an iPad. Garmin Sat Nav (and I understand Wings is the same) are based on ICE performance parameters - not good when the chips are down! Google Maps various charger website are implicit parts of navigation.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Let;'s not turn this into an Apple vs Google thread eh? Google are no more innocent of controlling their ecosystem and, in many ways, even more insidious. But let's not turn this into yet another Fanbois vs Fandroid thread, each has their merits, which you choose is entirely down to you.

At the end of the day, having your preferred smartphone linked and displaying its apps on an in-dash display has to be better than the current state of play.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
If we were to go down the Google/Apple debate (maybe elsewhere is the right place), Apple make money from hardware and direct sales, Google from advertising and indirect sales and marketing (both primarily) for me I feel happier paying for the product straight out, seems more "honest" somehow.

Anyway, either Google or Apple "in car" properly would beat just about current OEM vehicle ICE and GPS systems hands down. You almost want "dumb" docks or screens that we can dock our devices of choice with, maybe?

·
Registered
391 Posts
A few years ago (before the EV upsurge) I read that 60% of Prius owners were Apple users. I wonder what it is now?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well, @sallybuswell has a shiny new iPad Air with IOS 7... I have a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Android 4.3...

In the immortal words of Harry Hill - FIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

Round 1 Looks? - Apple probably wins on points
Round 2 Build? - round drawn
Round 3 Does it work? - Oh no! Looks like the iPad has taken a knockout punch and IOS regularly freezes or just reboots while Android stable as a rock!

Galaxy Note 10.1 and Android win by a knockout!

Just my blinkered interpretation as the Android is mine... @sallybuswell may spin you a slightly different story :)

Now... how about Windows vs Mac? Or Windows vs Linux? Or ... OK, I'll shut up ;)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts

Wait... what?!

That is just stupid! I want to be able to plan a long journey including lunch and coffee breaks, maybe optional toilet breaks, if I am in an EV chargers too (with alternate options) and send that to my car. I had assumed this is what "send to car" was, not just a glorified way of transferring a single postcode.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Wait... what?!

That is just stupid! I want to be able to plan a long journey including lunch and coffee breaks, maybe optional toilet breaks, if I am in an EV chargers too (with alternate options) and send that to my car. I had assumed this is what "send to car" was, not just a glorified way of transferring a single postcode.
As did I, spent hours assuming I was "doing it wrong"... Nope, it's just really, really limited!

Maybe it's just "beta", it's a Google product after all. ;)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Apple works right out of the box.
What exactly is that? repeating marketing slogans? too much Kool-Aid?

Is it too late to steer this away from Apple and Google?... I like Canon Lenses and Nikon bodies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts