Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got the car a couple of years ago I commented that Apple Car play often took a couple of goes to connect and that you had to wait for the system to fully load and then leave it for about 5-10 secs before plugging the phone in. I have never found a solution to this and it always strikes me how poor it is considering how instant and good it is in hire cars I've had from other brands (including Hyundai and Vauxhall).

However, in the last month or so it seems to have taken a turn for the worse - it often refuses to connect no matter how many times I try and it has now crashed my entire infotainment four times in a month when trying to connect with a complete reboot initiated. Anyone else experiencing this? Known issue or should I get the dealership to investigate? Could it maybe be something to do with the new iOS on the phone - there were some pretty major upgrades to the Apple Carplay in the latest release.

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, all sorts of issues with Carplay / Apple phone (mostly since ios13 update)
Things that used to "work" before don't now.
I only get the occasional fail to connect issue you describe, the only solution for me has been to switch off ignition then switch back on, at which point the car usually recognises the phone has been plugged in and starts up Carplay. (its always done this on odd occasions, even before IOS 13)
At least its far more reliable than WeConnect (which should be renamed WeDontConnectMostofTheTime

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely not a bad cable? Anker ones seem to work great for me.
Cheers - it might be worth trying a new one now, but initially I tried about 4 different brands and all had the same delay issues, though not crashing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I first got the car a couple of years ago I commented that Apple Car play often took a couple of goes to connect and that you had to wait for the system to fully load and then leave it for about 5-10 secs before plugging the phone in. I have never found a solution to this and it always strikes me how poor it is considering how instant and good it is in hire cars I've had from other brands (including Hyundai and Vauxhall).

However, in the last month or so it seems to have taken a turn for the worse - it often refuses to connect no matter how many times I try and it has now crashed my entire infotainment four times in a month when trying to connect with a complete reboot initiated. Anyone else experiencing this? Known issue or should I get the dealership to investigate? Could it maybe be something to do with the new iOS on the phone - there were some pretty major upgrades to the Apple Carplay in the latest release.

Thanks
Generally, mine always connects, but depending on the iOS, it has been a little intermittent. I found that unlocking the phone while plugged in, forced it to connect to the car immediately.
There is a setting on the phone to 'allow CarPlay while locked' which should be checked under General/CarPlay/MyCar- vehicle/allow CarPlay while locked

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Generally, mine always connects, but depending on the iOS, it has been a little intermittent. I found that unlocking the phone while plugged in, forced it to connect to the car immediately.
There is a setting on the phone to 'allow CarPlay while locked' which should be checked under General/CarPlay/MyCar- vehicle/allow CarPlay while locked
Thanks for this - I always plug in unlocked and also have the 'allow while locked' toggle on, but still find that if I don't wait a good 20-30 secs at least after starting the car that it won't connect. And that is generally - at the moment it is even more temperamental as per above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts