Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve stopped using the VW navigation because I can never get it to find most destinations. Also it takes ages (like 24hours) to receive a destination i send from the phone.
I was using google maps, then the other day I accidentally used Apple maps.

has anyone else used it?

unlike google maps, Apple maps actually puts navigation info on the small screen on the dash… it’s actually better than the VW default because it includes road names.
the only missing bit is it doesn’t cause the colour bar on the windscreen line to trigger.

i wondered if anyone else noticed this with Apple maps, else wanted to share So people know.
also wondered if anyone had more info on the functionality and whether people know if there is more coming?

·
Registered
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition
12 Posts
Yes! I use Apple Maps all the time and love it. It seems very well integrated with the ID.4, using both the main infotainment screen and the Mac portion of the small screen.

I also noticed that it does not use the ID bar light to indicate turns, but I find that a bit gimmicky anyway, so I don’t miss it at all.

I find wireless CarPlay a joy altogether. It sometimes feels like it is reading my mind, often suggesting exactly the right destination right when I turn on the car.

the only disappointment I have with the whole arrangement is how slow the infotainment system itself sometimes is to start up, but that is not Apple’s fault. In fact, once up, CarPlay is noticeably snappier and more responsive that the native BW system.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yep used this in the ID. 3 and it was a pleasant surprise! I use Apple Maps 90% of the time nowadays

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems to be getting better… I would just try it a little and see

the maps come from tom tom, and if traffic comes from them too it should be good

·
Registered
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition
12 Posts
the maps come from tom tom, and if traffic comes from them too it should be good
Apple is gathering a lot of data, theirs are not Tom Tom maps. I agree that the traffic predictions are getting better. At least here in Minnesota (USA) maps and predictions are excellent in Apple Maps.

But maps are highly variable around the world, you really just have to test for yourself in your area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The traffic info is extremely accurate as it apparently also uses data from iPhones. If loads of people are sat in a traffic queue Apple knows the phones aren't moving and shows the hold up in maps. A bit big brother but it works well and updates quickly.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The traffic info is extremely accurate as it apparently also uses data from iPhones. If loads of people are sat in a traffic queue Apple knows the phones aren't moving and shows the hold up in maps. A bit big brother but it works well and updates quickly.
Did you see the guy in Spain - who used 20-30 mobiles all with google maps up and running - and towed them around city streets in a hand cart.

They caused red/dark red slow moving traffic signals on google maps and routed lots of traffic away from where he was. Sticking two fingers up to google and big data 😁

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you see the guy in Spain - who used 20-30 mobiles all with google maps up and running - and towed them around city streets in a hand cart.

They caused red/dark red slow moving traffic signals on google maps and routed lots of traffic away from where he was. Sticking two fingers up to google and big data 😁
no I didn’t but I’ll look it up!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Apple is gathering a lot of data, theirs are not Tom Tom maps.
Apple might disagree with you! Although being fair it’s a comb8nation of sources.

edit: bit more research…
Since its Maps app launched in 2012, Apple has relied on licensed data from navigation technology companies, including TomTom, to fill in the gaps where it hadn't yet captured its own data. With this latest update, Apple is no longer licensing TomTom data for the US, the company confirmed. Apple Maps now relies on the company's own underlying framework for domestic navigation.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,813 Posts
I really do like apple maps. The directions are generally excellent, although recently in Leeds it told me to use the middle lane. There were four lanes. I chose poorly.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Yes very funny!

I actually LOVE the turn lights in the vw navigation.

(I am dyslexic and don't know my right from my left so a visual indication is terrific for me)

But I miss Waze speed camera warnings

Can you get speed camera data on the vw navigation?

I was using waze via Car Play but I miss the turn directions on the little dash - so I will try apple maps.

Does apple maps have speed camera warnings??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: ID4 + Apple Maps + Apple Car Play

Dear Jules

Thank you for contacting VW UK regarding the front windscreen turn direction lights in the ID models should work with Apple Maps & Apple Car Play. I apologise for the delay in our response.

I will make a log of this under VW2628565X as we are always moving towards a positive change.

I appreciate you have drawn this to our attention.

Thank you for your time and patience and all the best for the rest of the year.

Kind regards

Volkswagen Customer Services Centre

T 0800 083 3914
E [email protected]

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
200 Posts
I use Android Auto and directions are shown on the little dashboard screen. so its not a feature unique to apple carplay..
With which nav app?

So far I have only seen this with Apple Maps using iPhone/CarPlay. Not Google Maps, not TomTom Go… Has anyone seen it on other apps on CarPlay?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
200 Posts
I really do like apple maps. The directions are generally excellent, although recently in Leeds it told me to use the middle lane. There were four lanes. I chose poorly.
Agree, the directions generally are very good.

Recently in Leicester I was directed to use one of the three right hand landed (of four). I could see two going to the left, leaving only two… however at the last moment the third lane split into two. Something similar maybe in your Leeds case? (Not making excuses - it would usually be better to be directed according to what exists 50-100m before the junction… but I guess there will always be “hard cases”).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts