Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a recent thing. Is it expensive or not?

·
Registered
438 Posts
It is a recent thing. Is it expensive or not?

Looks like it's specifically for Japanese imports, not the vehicles made in Sunderland. It would be nice if they have cracked the code so that annoying brag screen when you first start up can be auto-accepted without input.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It looks like the car in the video is in the UK, I'm just a bit suspicious as it doesn't look like the most trustworthy website and the video was only uploaded yesterday.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Looks very interesting. Expensive yes but when you consider a map update (to 2018 map data!) Is near on £130 from Nissan it's not actually that bad when it includes new (presumably even newer) map data as well. (And of course Apple Carplay/Android Auto means you don't rely on the built in navigator anymore)

My concerns would be;

1) Taking the chance that it's legit (why the blown out video that makes it nearly impossible to see the screen at points ?)

2) The SD card is applying a firmware update to the head unit itself not just providing a replacement SD card - there's no way back to the original firmware once you do it.

3) What would Nissan think about this at the next service ? :p Cause for warranty claim rejection later down the road ? If this update is based on firmware in later model Leaf's that has been pirated and modified to work on the older head units I can't imagine Nissan would be too chuffed.

4) Likely to be a target of legal action, so who knows how long it will be around and how long the support would last. This could disappear pretty fast.

If anyone has the guts to try it, please let us know the results..

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Looks like it's specifically for Japanese imports, not the vehicles made in Sunderland.
Not sure where you get Japanese import from. The car in the video is a RHD Gen 2 with foot operated hand brake as you can see the "coin holder" compartment in shot behind the gear selector is empty and doesn't have the lever for the electric hand brake of the Gen 1. Also while hard to tell in the blown out video it's not a Gen 1 cream interior.
It would be nice if they have cracked the code so that annoying brag screen when you first start up can be auto-accepted without input.
If the video is to be believed, they have done just that - auto dismissing the OK/Cancel screen after 5 seconds.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow, that looks great. Would it affect the warranty? I'd love to have CarPlay. Bit on the pricey side too, or maybe I’m just a bit tight. Someone please have a go and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Done mine today and it works great, they are providing firmware upgrades as it evolves, the charging timer isnt working as yet but they are actively working on it, If you do go for it go through the firmware creators via there web page or facebook page as opposed to Storeline page, I had issues today with Storeline and it delayed my reg code being sent

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Did a little bit of digging myself and this seems to be the origin of the firmware, so seems to be the real deal:

I was actually already subscribed to their Youtube channel from finding some of their previous videos relating to unofficial map updates. They also convert Japanese head units (which only support Japanese) to English for markets like Australia and NZ who buy a lot of 2nd hand Japanese imports.

Done mine today and it works great, they are providing firmware upgrades as it evolves, the charging timer isnt working as yet but they are actively working on it, If you do go for it go through the firmware creators via there web page or facebook page as opposed to Storeline page, I had issues today with Storeline and it delayed my reg code being sent
Ahh, thanks for alerting about the charge timer - I use the charge timer every day so that's a show stopper for me until they fix that. Perhaps you can let us know when that gets fixed.

Have you noticed any other issues ? Does the climate control timer still work ? Can you still use all features of the Nissan Connect EV app ?

When you say the firmware creators webpage do you mean xanavi.net or xanavi.ru ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Care to post a link? Because googling it brings up xanavi.ru, xanavi.net, xanavi.it... none of which mention this?

Their facebook page has a video for it, but the link on there is to xanavi.net which has no mention of that specific firmware (carplay one).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Care to post a link? Because googling it brings up xanavi.ru, xanavi.net, xanavi.it... none of which mention this?

Their facebook page has a video for it, but the link on there is to xanavi.net which has no mention of that specific firmware (carplay one).
If you use Xanavi-conversion for car multimedia navigation systems and send them a message they will give you details of what you need to do. I was sceptical at first too but after dealing with Vladislav I realised it was a genuine update, they sent me the link to download the 14gb file and explained how to put it on to memory card with HDDRaw copy. Once downloaded and installed to memory card it was a case of letting it flash the unit by putting in the new card, took about 10 mins to flash, obviously check the video out for more info. As I said the only hold up for me was that Storeline only relaesed half of my paypal payment to them so they couldnt issue the reg file for my unit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ahh, thanks for alerting about the charge timer - I use the charge timer every day so that's a show stopper for me until they fix that. Perhaps you can let us know when that gets fixed.

Have you noticed any other issues ? Does the climate control timer still work ? Can you still use all features of the Nissan Connect EV app ?

When you say the firmware creators webpage do you mean xanavi.net or xanavi.ru ?
Climate control is to be fixed this week too, I will keep you informed Simon
Only issue I have ran into is that the screen doesnt beep when you touch it, but the Carplay app works really well. Nissan connect app works well too. Like I said before go to there FB page and message them they are very active
Regards
Steven

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not sure where you get Japanese import from. The car in the video is a RHD Gen 2 with foot operated hand brake as you can see the "coin holder" compartment in shot behind the gear selector is empty and doesn't have the lever for the electric hand brake of the Gen 1. Also while hard to tell in the blown out video it's not a Gen 1 cream interior.

If the video is to be believed, they have done just that - auto dismissing the OK/Cancel screen after 5 seconds.
Simon. I did not look at the video, was about to then interrupted by the lovely Jane. Wrote post without seeing it.......oh dear,. old fart strikes yet again!

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks very interesting. Expensive yes but when you consider a map update (to 2018 map data!) Is near on £130 from Nissan it's not actually that bad when it includes new (presumably even newer) map data as well. (And of course Apple Carplay/Android Auto means you don't rely on the built in navigator anymore)

2) The SD card is applying a firmware update to the head unit itself not just providing a replacement SD card - there's no way back to the original firmware once you do it.

3) What would Nissan think about this at the next service ? :p Cause for warranty claim rejection later down the road ? If this update is based on firmware in later model Leaf's that has been pirated and modified to work on the older head units I can't imagine Nissan would be too chuffed.

If anyone has the guts to try it, please let us know the results..
2/sent a message to the company and they say is possible to rollback.
3-This is the main point I think. Why would Nissan not offer this themselves. ?

·
Registered
438 Posts
2/sent a message to the company and they say is possible to rollback.
3-This is the main point I think. Why would Nissan not offer this themselves. ?
Why don't Nissan do this themselves?
1) They are an automotive company.
2) Their IT and electronic tech are still working in the cd/dvd and floppy disc era.
3) The investment required is seen to be more productive in other areas.
4) The management are dinosaurs who are ashamed of their own ignorance of new tech and terrified of being caught out with their lack of understanding of new tech.
5) They know they can get away with it.

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
with the bonus of not haveing to press the accept button
Worth the cost in itself. :devilish:
Do you know which of the three options it selects:
  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Didn't answer (which I don't know what happens).
Only one gives the data to Nissan which is what I'd want as I enjoy accessing the data later - yes I'm sad like that. :rolleyes: Or competing against my Wife. :devilish:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Worth the cost in itself. :devilish:
Do you know which of the three options it selects:
  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Didn't answer (which I don't know what happens).
Only one gives the data to Nissan which is what I'd want as I enjoy accessing the data later - yes I'm sad like that. :rolleyes: Or competing against my Wife. :devilish:
It clicks yes, Ive just checked my data for today in My Garage on my account and its all there

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like it's specifically for Japanese imports, not the vehicles made in Sunderland. It would be nice if they have cracked the code so that annoying brag screen when you first start up can be auto-accepted without input.
Hi! I asked, no, it is for any Leaf and it has an auto click of the start notification

1 - 20 of 23 Posts