Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

In the last month or so my CarPlay has become increasingly temperamental. Sometimes it works as soon as I plug it in, others it asks me to confirm that I'm happy with the phone transferring data to the car and when I press yes it works and yet other times it thinks for about 5 secs and then says it can't connect. If I keep pressing 'yes' it then eventually tends to crash the entire MIB and the screen goes blank and then restarts after about 10 secs.

Anyone experiencing similar? Any ideas what might be causing it? I have a suspicion it has to do with when I connect the phone but not found a pattern yet...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you upgrade to the latest IOS, perhaps this has caused the issue?
I have yes, but my wife hasn't and experiences the same issues unfortunately.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a lot of weirdness like this when we first got our current car (a late 2015 Golf with Carplay) and much of it was related to the cheap/old cable we were using - trying an official Apple one worked a lot better, then got a shorter Anker one to leave in the car which was fine too.

Still get the odd occasion when it won't connect, pressing and holding the power button for 15+ seconds on the stereo to reboot it usually clears it. If not, the holding home+power reboot on the phone will.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a lot of weirdness like this when we first got our current car (a late 2015 Golf with Carplay) and much of it was related to the cheap/old cable we were using - trying an official Apple one worked a lot better, then got a shorter Anker one to leave in the car which was fine too.

Still get the odd occasion when it won't connect, pressing and holding the power button for 15+ seconds on the stereo to reboot it usually clears it. If not, the holding home+power reboot on the phone will.
Thanks, I'm using a cheap, short Amazon Basics one at the moment - might have to try with a proper Apple cable, this could very well be the issue.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Amazon basics cables are pretty reliable in my experience but worth trying a different one. On a selfish note, I'm glad it's not just Android Auto that's a bit flakey!!

To be honest I think the infotainment system in these golfs (I have a MY16) leave A LOT to be desired, have to force a reboot whilst I'm on the move at least a few times a week and I've already had a replacement screen on it due to some fault

1 - 6 of 6 Posts