Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As our car charging is normally initiated by RFID cards supplied by the various networks, I wonder if the networks will ever enable use of Apple Pay and similar payment systems. My wallet is bulging with charge cards, loyalty scheme cards, various passes etc etc and got me thinking, it would be nice to take these out of my wallet and use my phone or watch etc. Does anyone agree?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would love to pay for charging via Apple Pay. Cost never going to be above £30 so could use all contactless cards. Only drawback for installers is they can't see who is using the network.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Apple Pay needs the same level of integration and sign-off as Contactless Payments (if you know what PCI-DSS means, you'll know the torture). No point in only providing for the subset of customers that happen to use Apple phones.

CYC did mention they were testing RFID emulation as a possible feature of their mobile phone app.

·
Premium Member
10,078 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think that proprietary solutions like Apple Pay, Android Pay, and whatever the heck else crawls out of the woodwork (PayPal? Amazon?) are best avoided, and that if we're going to have mobile phone based payment we should wait until there's a proper, open, industry solution which isn't tied to one platform and isn't subject to the vagaries and whims of one vendor...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Apple Pay is expanding to Loyalty Cards so can't see why it can not work with RFID membership cards. The implementation cost will be next to nothing for the scheme and not having to provide RFID is a bonus.

The EV community is too segregated for it to work though. Travel the UK and you have numberous scheme all working differently. First thing that needs to happen is a unified scheme that any card can work on

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did say "use of Apple Pay and similar systems"

I am not a fanboy of Apple, but I do use their phone. I was aware that android has a similar thing. It's just very convenient. Retailers who accept contactless payments can immediately start accepting Apple Pay (and similar) as it uses RFID. It is also possible to store more than one card and choose which be you wish to use on each instance of use, so really I can't see how service providers couldn't implement this quickly if they desired, and know who is using their system! @CYC @Ecotricity

·
Premium Member
10,078 Posts
I can't see how service providers couldn't implement this quickly if they desired,
Most of the existing points do not meet the unattended PCI security requirements so contactless payment can't be easily added. The next gen points are likely to offer it - such as the new ChargeMaster point in my previous post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts