Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a job in central London on Tuesday and so want to register my car for the Ultra Low Emission Discount.

I was gobsmacked that despite the whole payment system being online, applying for the discount involves printing out a PDF, filling it in and then posting it to them by snail mail, with an expected wait of about 10 working days to have your application processed. I therefore phoned them in the hope of finding some way to speed the process up and having spent about 10 minutes waiting to be answered (without even the luxury of hold music) got through to someone.

It turns out that there are a couple of tricks to speeding the process up (a little bit). Firstly, you should register for a payment account which will apparently speed up your application. Then, rather than posting your form, you can email it to [email protected], including the account number you will have been given when you created the account. You have to include a copy of your V5C document.

Having done this, there's still no guarantee that it will be processed any quicker but she suggested it probably would be, although not necessarily in time for Tuesday. The stupid thing is that the moment I put my registration number in when setting up my account, it confirmed that the car was a black Nissan LEAF Tekna, so the system really should have been able to say "well clearly, that's electric" and apply the 100% discount and charge me the £10.

The woman on the phone also confirmed that back to me when I gave her my registration number, so the entire process of sending paperwork in is basically pointless. If they haven't processed my application in time for Tuesday (I will chase up by phone before hand) I will be expecting them to refund the congestion charge fee I will have to pay as a result of their ridiculous red tape.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I posted mine off last week - just got the confirmation through via email. Fairly quick but, yeah, an online only process would make more sense.

·
Super Moderator
5,745 Posts
Want to know another stupid fact……
Next year you will have to send them the paper work all over again using the same process, its like they think I am going to install a petrol engine in my LEAF for the fun of it

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Not true, the Con Charge is £10.50 with an autopay account. That's a 50p saving if you put zero value to your time , ink , paper and pfaffing about.;) but then if you put any value on your time you wouldn't be driving into central london anyway :) oh, and its not an exemption - it's a discount ;)
Or if you post it in with a 54p stamp that's a 4p loss.
The congestion charge is £11.50. The exemption is £10. That's a 13% saving :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Does Congestion charge exemption applies for all EV vehicles OR Is a Flat rate applied?
As long as it meets the CO2 requirements (I thinks its <75 or maybe <50 g/km which is every PHEV/EV I believe) and you pay the tenner you're exempt from the charge for 1 year after confirmation your application has gone through.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So hopefully Tesla cars are exempt from the London Congestion Charge. Any weblink or pointers for where to apply to get the exemption.

·
Registered
429 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts