Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield posted the following :)

After seeing what fun the March SoCEV event was, I've been spurred to book a venue for BEVoB's April Meetup!

I've provisionally booked Sunday, April 13 from 1pm through 4pm at Frenchay Village Hall, Beckspool Road, Frenchay, Bristol, BS16 1NU

Because of the problems I -- and other EV owners in the Bristol area have had from the local Nissan garage (Wessex, Bristol) I've decided on a separate location, as it will give us plenty of parking opportunities and perhaps even a chance to be outside if the day is nice.

The booking itself -- which runs from 1pm through 6pm -- also means we have access to a kitchen and loos. I'm happy to pay the £60 booking fee myself, but I'd like people to volunteer their services in other ways (mainly bring-a-dish, which seems to work pretty well in the past). If people want to also offer to 'chip in' for the hall rental, that'd be good too.

Getting There:

Getting there is pretty simple. The venue itself is just off the Bristol Ring Road (A1474), which is itself just off the M32.

https://goo.gl/maps/OwBpH

From the East (M4)

Take Exit 19 for the M32, and stay in the Left-hand lane on the slip road. Merge onto the M32, but stay in the left-hand lane, which becomes the off-ramp for exit 1 of the M32. Stay left at the roundabout onto the A1471.

Once you've exited the M32 Junction 1 roundabout onto the A4174, immediately get into the right hand lane to turn right at the first junction (Bristol Road (B4058) -- Also signposted for Frenchay Hospital.

Almost immediately after you've turned onto the B4058, turn Left onto Beckspool Road.

Frenchay Village Hall is then on your left, shortly after Cleve Road (which is the fourth left).

From the West (M4)

Take Exit 19 for the M32, and stay in the Left-hand lane on the slip road (Go round the roundabout in the left lane. It feels wrong, but that's right!). Merge onto the M32, but stay in the left-hand lane, which becomes the off-ramp for exit 1 of the M32. Stay left at the roundabout onto the A1471.

Once you've exited the M32 Junction 1 roundabout onto the A4174, immediately get into the right hand lane to turn right at the first junction (Bristol Road (B4058) -- Also signposted for Frenchay Hospital.

Almost immediately after you've turned onto the B4058, turn Left onto Beckspool Road.

Frenchay Village Hall is then on your left, shortly after Cleve Road (which is the fourth left).

From the South (Central Bristol)

Take Exit 1 of the M32, but stay in the right-hand lane of the sliproad and turn right on the roundabout for the A1471.

From the South (M5) or North (M5)

Take Junction 15 of the M5 for the M4 towards London, then follow directions as for M4. (Junction 19 is one junction after you join the M4 at the Almondsbury Interchange)

NB. The M5/M4 junction is a complete and utter nightmare if you haven't driven it before. Pay special attention to the lanes or you'll end up heading to Wales, or worse still, find yourself back on the M5!

CHARGING

I have thought LONG and HARD about this, and having arranged these meets for many years, I can safely say I've never found the *perfect* venue. We used to meet at Cribbs Causeway -- then the meeting room we used was turned into something else. Then we met at the Better Food Co. -- it had a little space and very unreliable charging. Now it has two Type 2 CYC posts, but I've never seen them work. Even Cabot's Circus was used for a while -- but it too had its problems (expensive food and drink and parking)

So the venue itself ONLY HAS 13A Sockets which will be offered To those who really, absolutely need it I am suspecting we can easily give three or four EV owners a top-up charge as required, but we won't be able to give everyone a charge. This may change if we discover the electronics can handle more.

BUT there are multiple Rapid chargers within easy reach of the venue:
  • Wessex Nissan Bristol is 4.2 miles south via city streets, 4.9 miles away via the M32
  • IKEA Bristol (Ecotricity unit and one I'd say is more suitable than Wessex Nissan) is also about 4 miles away, just off Junction 2 of the M32.
  • Severn View Services (M48 -- other first severn bridge on the English side) is 9.4 miles away via M48 and M4
  • M5 Southbound (Michaelwood -- Ecotricity) is 13.5 miles away.
  • Leigh Delamere Services (M4, East -- Ecotricity) is 17.4 miles away.
For those who really need it there are several other options too:
  • My house is 2.8 miles away in Stoke Gifford. I have a 16A Type 2 charging station, a 13A domestic outlet, a 32A Type 2 charging station, and a 32A J1772 charging station. In other words, at a push, I can charge four people, and do a little ferrying back and forward to the venue.
  • Other BEVoB owners in the area are happy to help out too.

What are we going to do?

Like other meets, we'll have the usual chance for people to natter, and talk, but I'm going to suggest we have a couple of presentations from different people attending. It could be anything from a report of your first long-distance drive, to how you run your car on solar power.

Or perhaps it could be a more technical discussion, like building your own home charging station, modding your car (like my Leaf's Modded heater) something geeky (like Carwings API fun) or whatever takes your fancy

It could even be a review of some new tyres or cleaning dodads, or other gadgets you might think other EV owners would like.

I'm opening the floor for submissions. And by that I mean 'comment below if you wanna give a short talk!'

We certainly will be doing some OVMS updating as several people have already asked me to help that, and I'll be there with our LEAF and Volt. The LEAF OVMS implementation isn't all that great at the moment though, certainly not ready for prime time.

Essentially, we've got a large hall for five hours. So we can be quite inventive as long as it's 1) legal and 2) isn't going to get anyone into trouble

I should have the booking confirmed by the middle of the week. Who's coming?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Won't be able to make this unfortunately as it is the first day of the cricket season at Taunton. Pity.

Having a venue like that for all afternoon will be a great opportunity.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Nicki, I like you proposal for format. Getting interesting presenters will ensure attendees will come back time after time. Also 'bring a plate' will work well - you can be assured that people arriving after a journey of 1-2 hrs (maybe more) will desperately need a snack. Beside it will allow people to linger longer, after the formal event. We went for a curry after the Gaydon Motor Museum event - simply brilliant!
I would have been willing to do a presentation on the Highland Charge 2013, unfortunately on the date chosen, I will be half-way round (hopefully) Highland Charge 2014!
A sequence of these events will help the sense of community - keep it up!

·
Registered
70 Posts
HI folks!

Just for those who are interested (read those who are going!) I've created an EventBrite page for the do. Also, if you'd like to present something at the event, let me know. :)

Bring a dish is mandatory -- or at least, preferred ;)

I'll be offering upgrades for OVMS at the end of the meet for those who want the latest version. Provided I can get it running on my laptop! ;)

Nikki.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Interest declared, tickets for 2 requested:).
Two spare Leaf seats possibly available near route from Banbury.
Intend to use forest green rovers rapid around 12.00 midday and on return.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm planning to come along. Not decided on route from Chandler's Ford, Hampshire yet. For central Bristol I usually go direct to city centre and charge type 2 whilst relaxing in the city for the day. At 75 miles it's at the edge of my range but I've done it a number of times....

At an additional 5 miles Frenchay may be pushing it in one go in a gen.1 leaf , and so I'm somewhat inclined ot take the longer (97 mile) motorway route as I have numerous change options along the m4. Bit of a shame as it's a more boring drive but probably better.. It also relies on the rapid chargers working which sadly lately has arguably been a misplaced assumption.

My current tactic is to set destination in satnav as next RC+1 at least giving protection against a single failure. Is anyone else coming this route?

Oh I do rather long for a double range leaf with 32A charging!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Great day out in good company and a lovely sunlit drive to and from.
Thanks Nikki and everyone for the hot/cold buffet. The Paella was delicious.
Never seen so many EVs sparkling in one spot!
Got home to find a full Leaf fill up (22kw) off the roof :) G & B.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks everyone for attending! It was a great day. We actually ended up with 12 LEAFs I think, two/three Amperas, Two Volts, a Trabant, an Elcat, a converted motorbike... It was great fun.

Thumbs up that the venue was so great too. We're going to book another one. June, perhaps?

P.S. Thank you for everyone who donated: we made £85.65, which is enough to pay for yesterday's rental plus half of the next one too. (£60 per time) I'm trying to tentatively book one for June 15.

Nikki.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That was perhaps the best gathering of EV nuts I've been to, yesterday, and I've signed up for the June one already so it comes first in my calendar and won't be affected by conflicts from other demands. 210 miles round trip of which 70 were purely battery thanks to the plug in at the venue. I can live with that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts