Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my area (near Aberdeen) I have a choice of three rapid chargers dotted around Aberdeen, then heading south on the A90 towards Dundee there is a rapid charger at Laurencekirk and another at Forfar. Once at Dundee things get better and you can head in pretty much any direction you want, but from Aberdeen there are the chegers in the city, then to the south nothing really but two rapids on the route to Dundee.

These chargers are mainly twin units (CHAdeMO and Type-2 43kW) so not much CCS in the area. So the manufacturer (APT Controls Limited) has decided to upgrade all four of the duals, removing parts from the units this morning and planning to return them to service "some time in the week starting 17th November". That leaves us with a single rapid charger in Aberdeen, then nothing until Dundee.

So with absolutely no notice we get four of the five chargers between Aberdeen and just north of Dundee out of action for somewhere between ten days and two weeks.

Oh yes, and there are two EV events scheduled for Aberdeen in the next couple of weeks. Not sure if those can now happen!

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was it dangerous?! Otherwise that seems a bit crazy.
No, not dangerous and it turns out not to just be our area. The full list is:

Out Of Service said:
GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL, Shields Road Subway Station, Glasgow – Upgrade under way, unit currently switched off.

GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL - RIVERSIDE TRANSPORT MUSEUM – Upgrade under way, unit currently switched off.

GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL - HYDRO ARENA – Upgrade under way, unit currently switched off.

ANGUS COUNCIL, Angus House, Orchard Bank Bus. Park, Forfar – Upgrade under way, unit currently switched off.

ABERDEENSHIRE COUNCIL - ROBSON STREET, LAURENCEKIRK – Upgrade under way, unit currently switched off.

ABERDEEN CITY COUNCIL - GALLOWGATE CAR PARK – Upgrade due to start Saturday November 8th

ABERDEEN CITY COUNCIL - SCLATTIE PARK – Upgrade under way, unit currently switched off.

GLENCOE MOUNTAIN LTD, White Corries, Glencoe – Upgrade due to begin week commencing 10/11/2014

DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY COUNCIL, Brooms Road Car Park, Dumfries Upgrade due to begin week commencing 10/11/2014

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I bet a project manager somewhere thought it would be a really good idea to get all the rapids upgraded in one hit! :)

Never mind the impact on the customers. :(

·
Registered
558 Posts
In my area (near Aberdeen) I have a choice of three rapid chargers dotted around Aberdeen, then heading south on the A90 towards Dundee there is a rapid charger at Laurencekirk and another at Forfar. Once at Dundee things get better and you can head in pretty much any direction you want, but from Aberdeen there are the chegers in the city, then to the south nothing really but two rapids on the route to Dundee.

These chargers are mainly twin units (CHAdeMO and Type-2 43kW) so not much CCS in the area. So the manufacturer (APT Controls Limited) has decided to upgrade all four of the duals, removing parts from the units this morning and planning to return them to service "some time in the week starting 17th November". That leaves us with a single rapid charger in Aberdeen, then nothing until Dundee.

So with absolutely no notice we get four of the five chargers between Aberdeen and just north of Dundee out of action for somewhere between ten days and two weeks.

Oh yes, and there are two EV events scheduled for Aberdeen in the next couple of weeks. Not sure if those can now happen!
It wasn't CYC fault but whoever made the decision is stupid. Also the one in Greenmarket was getting the floor painted so that rapid should be useable again from today and the Clepington road one is usually iced. But the greenmarket one was still closed for 1 week.

That's the thing no notice. If I had known it would have been fine but they didn't think to tell anyone. Also APT machines suck they are much slower than the Siemens one I used in Garthdee. I hope the upgrade makes them faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.