Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you cast your eyes over the state of EH charging site, it does seem that places with two chargers are increasingly likely to have one out of order. Look at Hopwood, where one of the chargers has been pretty much unavailable for months. And it seems the CCS function on that is more likely to be working than the ChaDeMo. At Ferrybridge where there are three chargers it seems you can only depend on one, and not the three-headed one.

At Woodall North where there were two chargers one has been removed "for maintenance" many months ago and there are no signs of it re-appearing.

It feels like EH are desperately short of maintenance resource, and are concentrating on keeping a presence at each MSA (maybe for contractual reasons). Have the two french lads, who are the only maintenance people I've encountered, fled Brexit and returned to France?

In my trips up and down the M1 I've always tried to favour sites with two chargers, but they are becoming an endangered species.

Of course, the new networks are reducing the pressure, and providing us with a choice, but their locations are a bit hit-or-miss.

·
9,719 Posts
to deprioritise implies something is prioritised. The network is falling apart with little evidence of any investment, maintenance or wherewithal to actually make it work at scale.

I’ve given up, it’s an embarrassment the clearly EH not Electric Highway care enough to fix.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Sad that such an opportunity for a nationwide charging network has been managed so poorly. I went into Sandbach services and there are still two rapids bagged up. That is three years that two rapids have slowly been deteriorating and never used. Free vend apparently is rife and means no income when on free vend. And no new chargers in three years (maybe one). And then Dale is saying no point in adding chargers until demand picks up :(

Richard

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
The sandbach situation is particularly ludicrous. They should have taken those chargers out and used them where ones were broken.

They're just not putting the investment in so EV users won't risk using their crappy chargers so they don't get the income to put the investment in :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
to deprioritise implies something is prioritised. The network is falling apart with little evidence of any investment, maintenance or wherewithal to actually make it work at scale.
That's a bit harsh. They invested in a single new charger at Oxford within the past 6 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ESB eCars in Ireland have replaced a number of the DBT units with triple head Efacec units. One of the justifications was spare part availability from DBT.

The DBTs are the units that Ecotricity use in the UK. I wonder if they too are having difficulty sourcing spares.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The DBTs are the units that Ecotricity use in the UK. I wonder if they too are having difficulty sourcing spares.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are a maintenance nightmare. I saw a British Gas crew maintaining one and the insides looked like a prototype (not even pre-production) - a complete rats nest of wires. I moved out of the electronics industry a good few years ago, but I'd have been shocked to see something like that 20 years ago.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ESB eCars in Ireland have replaced a number of the DBT units with triple head Efacec units. One of the justifications was spare part availability from DBT.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I’m sure that the age of the estate is a big maintenance problem. I too have had a look inside a charger and it is, indeed, a rat’s nest. Its easy to believe these machines are well past their best before date. So I’m less than impressed when they open a new site. Any new machines should replace ones that are dying

·
9,719 Posts
Any new machines should replace ones that are dying
They are all dieing - and thats a problem. FastNED threw out DBT units early doors as they were impossible to keep running - EH soldiered on and we are now in this intractable mess.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I was at Leics Forest East a few weeks back; there were 2 French guys in a French van who had come all the way to fix the unit! No wonder they have issues getting stuff done.

Dale needs to bite the bullet, and either upgrade all units to the same ones as InstaVolt use or another proven unit. Hell, issue an Ecobond to raise the capital for it !

If not, then sell the charging business to someone who can invest and move it forward.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
The ABB ones that Engenie use are much better. Or the ones Alfa Power use which are much faster and more than one person can use them at once too. They'd be a much better choice as they also have the 22kw AC socket built in.

If ecotricity chose chargers that would charge 2 or 3 cars at once they wouldn't need to put in more than 2 charger posts at most sites. The single post sites would be far more flexible as well. They choose chargers that will only deal with one car at a time and that hampers them no end.

·
Super Moderator
11,438 Posts
Not harsh enough.
To be fair EH have installed two new units in the past six months. They've also entirely failed to deliver on promises of new units and contactless payment.

Since changing to an i3 at the end of March:

Holyhead Triple head failed with a "Something went wrong" error. EH responded promptly to my email. CCS is now showing as offline in their app.
Holyhead AC/DC failed on AC but that might have been a car side error. The i3 doesn't always start an AC charge if the car is unlocked.

Bangor works, even on CCS. Not only that but it is frequently in use.
Singing Kettle worked on CCS. That was a pleasant surprise.

Instavolt on the A41 WOW!. This is how it is suppose to be. Two rapids perfectly placed for a 70mph run all the way back home. Only downside it costs more than double what I pay for EH. On the other hand it worked without doing the magic charge dance.

Destination chargers have been abysmal.

Only one of the two LiFe posts at Liverpool One works. I wasn't able to charge. 30p kWh is pretty steep for destination chargers. They really should fix it.

None of the 4 newish Charge Master / Polar 7kW posts in Llangefni work even though they are shown as working on the polar plus map. I emailed Charge Master and they never replied. Another EV owner told me the council paid for the install but have not commissioned the units. Apparently they've been like this for a couple of months.

Bangor ASDA works but has been down rated to 3.6kW .

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was at Leics Forest East a few weeks back; there were 2 French guys in a French van who had come all the way to fix the unit! No wonder they have issues getting stuff done.

Dale needs to bite the bullet, and either upgrade all units to the same ones as InstaVolt use or another proven unit. Hell, issue an Ecobond to raise the capital for it !

If not, then sell the charging business to someone who can invest and move it forward.
I met the two Frech guys a couple of years ago at Hopwood. Inclined to wonder if they are the entire maintenance team.

·
9,719 Posts
Those units haven't been reliable since they were installed especially the CCS ones - the design of the DBT units mean they are simply not suited to those very exposed positions.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,284 Posts
Fun, as if you look at Scotch Corner as an example it's 1 service station covering 3 directions, so compared to other sites, it's like 2/3rds of a charger with the queues you'd expect. Except that regularly at least 1 isn't working, meaning 1/3rd of a charger...

Fine if you have a Tesla though

1 - 20 of 25 Posts