Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1101 - 1113 of 1113 Posts

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
836 Posts
In normal times you'd be right, as would the BoEs decision.

BUT, as has been said, the lower paid have no spare cash so they don't cause inflation but suffer most.

The higher paid, also have less disposable income because they have food, fuel, energy and rising mortgage interest rates to budget for. So they too are not going to cause inflation but also will suffer.

Any inflation due to demand will be due to the well off spending on non essentials and the answer to quelling this is to change the VAT rate to 25% on non essential items.

EV owners are already guilty of causing the stupid prices of EVs, used EVs and used ICEs due to demand exceeding supply. Hence my suggestion to have EV owners pay VED.
I like a thoughtful response, even when I disagree. Thanks.

You do have a point in that taxes (of any sort) reduce inflationary pressure by reduction in spendable income. And the impact of some taxes might be more focused on those with more resources, and be fairer. Yet raising interest rates needs to be done as well. Over 13% inflation rate can not long exist with 1.75% interest rate. One of the two will increase. Better interest rates now than more inflation and ever higher interest rates in the future.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
A bit off topic, but I'll wade in - just convert most of the motorways to toll roads - make the heaviest users pay the most, and remove VED totally. From trucks as well. Although I guess even local haulage companies should pay something towards the upkeep locally.
The flipside is lots of cars doing very little which is arguably a bigger waste of underused resources, and worse for local environments (lots of urban journeys, or people using non-motorway routes to avoid tolls) than a car that is being used for what it is designed for (distances greater than walking/cycling/public transport).

No easy solution I suspect!

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
750 Posts
I think VED is too low - it should be at a level where you have to think "Do I actually need a car?"

Perhaps £1000/year for any vehicle?

The problem with VED is it is non-progressive so lower earners get pumped but that's the same with all goods and services (including fuel, maintenance and insurance).
I understand your thinking but the issue is for many many people having a car is simply not a choice. Even in Medway where I used to live public transport provision was pretty poor and from ideal for the majority living in the housing estates so for many of us if not virtually all the car was still an essential otherwise you could not reasonably get to work as a starter let alone shopping etc. Ok in the big cities like London Manchester, Leeds etc for a large portion of the population public transport is sufficient with regular and varied routes.
It’s the same here, there is a bus service to the major town with the majority of public sector jobs 1 out at 6.30am and one back at 7pm so hardly conducive to a normal work routine here.It also still requires me to be able to get up to the nearest village with services which is 4km away. So either you take cars off the road and put in a hugely increased public transport network or you accept people need personal mobility and you work to make that as less polluting as possible.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
750 Posts
A bit off topic, but I'll wade in - just convert most of the motorways to toll roads - make the heaviest users pay the most, and remove VED totally. From trucks as well. Although I guess even local haulage companies should pay something towards the upkeep locally.
Ah you mean the french approach then? We of course have a well developed peage pay as you go motorway network plus the route national system so people do have a genuine choice as to whether they want to pay for the speed and convenience of the motorway or use the major trunk road system which is likley to be slower but not always by a great deal dependent on location and route.
Also there is a well functioning and not excessively expensive long distance train network albeit the shorter regional network although quite affordable is not as well developed.
Am not sure the U.K. could swap easily given the lack of a good trunk road system geared to longer distance driving but maybe people would accept the change if it meant those who use the roads most pay more into the coffers. What would be unfair is if poorer people were priced off the motorways onto the congested and slow trunk road system only. It works here because the trunk road system is not that much below the standards of the peage with lots or dual carriageway at 110km but there are still bottlenecks on roads still to be upgraded around specific villages/towns as with a major route in my department.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
The flipside is lots of cars doing very little
I'm not sure I agree with that - partly because I don't understand the connection; if a sales man (who by the way shouldn't get tax benefits if their company car isn't electric) does 1000 miles a week on the motorway, why would making his company pay for that privilege stop the car from being used ? I suspect actually that the number of under-used cars wouldn't change at all - or have I misunderstood you ?

·
Ecohound
1,137 Posts
If you want a better review than I can give then check out Cleantechnica.com. But a summary is:
Top 3 BEV brand % July
1st Hyundai
2nd VW
3rd Audi
Top BEV brand % July trailing Qtr
1st Tesla
2nd Hyundai
3rd Kia
Top 3 BEV Group July trailing Qtr
1st VW Group
2nd Hyundai Group
3rd Stellantis

Hope you found this interesting 🙂

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
750 Posts
According to this piece in Ouest France Tesla are no longer no1 in europe for the first quarter but third after VW group so it includes the complete range from Audi to Cupar to Porsche, then the silly named Stelliantos (who thought that sensible🙄) then Tesla. seems the all electric Fiat 500 has gone down well. Certainly the revamped Fiat 500 has been a real success like the mini.
Newspaper Publication News Font Material property

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
If you want a better review than I can give then check out Cleantechnica.com. But a summary is:
Top 3 BEV brand % July
1st Hyundai
2nd VW
3rd Audi
Top BEV brand % July trailing Qtr
1st Tesla
2nd Hyundai
3rd Kia
Top 3 BEV Group July trailing Qtr
1st VW Group
2nd Hyundai Group
3rd Stellantis

Hope you found this interesting 🙂
The figures are clouded by the lack of availability of some models.
They are only valid had there been no lack of vehicles for sale.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
According to this piece in Ouest France Tesla are no longer no1 in europe for the first quarter but third after VW group so it includes the complete range from Audi to Cupar to Porsche, then the silly named Stelliantos (who thought that sensible🙄) then Tesla. seems the all electric Fiat 500 has gone down well. Certainly the revamped Fiat 500 has been a real success like the mini. View attachment 165210

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
750 Posts
Tesla maybe right who knows I was just pointing out that it seems for the first quarter in europe they do not hold their normal pole position. I do think as the old manufacturers catch up it will get harder for Tesla as there will be increasing choice for the consumer and many more conservative people may prefer to stay with a tried and trusted brand they have grown up with. At this stage I personally will not buy Tesla as I do not like the look of any of the cars or their interiors and getting one serviced would be a pain plus I am no fan of Musk or what where once only American built cars, I would not buy an EQE SUV for that reason also. The Mercedes’ ML and GLE both built in the states had poorer reputations for build quality than other models in the Mercedes’ range and that has tainted my view rightly or wrongly.

·
Ecohound
1,137 Posts
The figures are clouded by the lack of availability of some models.
They are only valid had there been no lack of vehicles for sale.
Since 2020 the figures have been clouded what with COVID, talks of recession and war. But that doesn't stop the figures being valid and why looking at the trailing quarter is important.
ICE sales against Plugin sales are weighted by supply restrictions plus CO2 target fines which we are not privileged to manufacturers thinking. All these things make watching the monthly, yearly markets interesting. And let's not forget the Osborne effect.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Since 2020 the figures have been clouded what with COVID, talks of recession and war. But that doesn't stop the figures being valid and why looking at the trailing quarter is important.
ICE sales against Plugin sales are weighted by supply restrictions plus CO2 target fines which we are not privileged to manufacturers thinking. All these things make watching the monthly, yearly markets interesting. And let's not forget the Osborne effect.
They are useful up to a point.

Nissan lost it's usual 3rd place due to supply issues, all production being for pre orders and buyers not so keen to place an order with delivery not being for 9-12months, especially given the current economic climate.

You could argue that it's Nissan's fault they lost their position and it is inevitable that manufacturers that can deliver more quickly will pickup sales from those that can't.

So we'll see what changes next month.

1101 - 1113 of 1113 Posts