Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to investigate the cost of a home 7kW installed charger ahead of our Ioniq delivery in a couple of months time.

This might be a bit of a rhetorical question, but do all the companies expect you just to want a box plonked on the front of your house in the shortest distance from the fuse box????

We are looking at potentially having installed on a post the other side of our garage where there is a convenient flower bed for the earth spike (in some cases), and would be most convenient for the cars charging port and some of the quotes really seem to just be taking the p****...

Out of interest does anyone have theirs NOT installed just screwed to the wall of their house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
but do all the companies expect you just to want a box plonked on the front of your house in the shortest distance from the fuse box????
Is the Pope a bear? Or whatever.

As Tandy says, if you can do some of it yourself it will keep things sensible. In your case if you can buy and run the cable from the supply point to the charge-point location then for the installer it becomes much more straightforward.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This might be a bit of a rhetorical question, but do all the companies expect you just to want a box plonked on the front of your house in the shortest distance from the fuse box????
I don't think I ever had a company tell me where the box would go. I told them. It was down to them to quote for the job I wanted. Then again, mine is down the other end of the garden where the driveway is.

Fortunately there was already 6mm sq. cabling in place for a garage that didn't exist.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
Tell you what - go and get all the qualifications necessary and file all the paperwork yourself. Then tell us how much the installation is worth. :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
My installation cost for my BMW charger included a maximum cable length, the installer didn't stick rigidly to the length by pacing out the length and said it was ok, extra cost would apply if it was a lot longer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did my own cable run via the cavity wall , through the loft and down the side of the house, pod point then connected either end up.

Pod point don't tend to use an earth spike if that helps?

·
Registered
453 Posts
It does seem that there are some firms who just want to hoover up olev grants and do the minimum possible work, these firms quote an arm and a leg for anything other than mounting the evse on the front wall of the house next to the front door.
I would get a quote for the work you want doing from a local NIC as well as the big installation firms, you may be surprised how competitive it is even if they can't claim the grant for you (although you probably loose 2 years guarantee on the evse). It will probably help keep costs down if you can run the cable yourself, as menial tasks like running cables is not really a great use of a skilled tradesman's time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My installer charged £120 on top of the grant covered works to run the cable to my driveway.
(A 1.5/2m path and 5 stairs)

Looking to move house in the best free months so when we've been viewing I've been making a point of checking where the fusebox is

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts