Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. All the other manufacturers in the group are offering discounts to there cars.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,684 Posts
I seem to remember someone posting somewhere that Hyundia/Kia may have an announcement on it in June!! Frankly considering it only saves 12 minutes, in optimal conditions, compared to a 50kw rapid for 20-80% charge and the yearly membership of around £200 on Ionity if they do a deal I'm not interested. Maybe if I was desperate I would just have a short visit to one, but thats all.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Its an odd proposition for an average person with home charging. Assuming you only ever used Ionity on longer trips you would need to use over 650kw a year just to break even with paying the monthly costs againest just paying the 69p. Considering you have 250 miles in the car when you set off most owners of partner cars are never going to reach 650kw in a year. I could sort of understand if the partner manufacturers cars just got the card with the car free and then the lower rate when using them. Similar to Teslas supercharger access. Oh well, lets see how this pans out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wierd thing is given I've just ordered my first EV - I wouldn't pay ionity, but AM considering a Polar membership. Reason being at most Polar points I could use the electricity is free, which makes it a far more attractive propostition.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Considering that they only have installations at three locations in the UK, I personally think that anybody paying the monthly subscription must be bonkers (unless they do numerous trips across Europe).

Reactions: Bertie

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
As its your first EV worth noting the free Polar chargers are all 7kw or even the odd 3kw post. They may well be free but can be blocked by ordinary cars, broken, or even just have an EV parked at them not charging. They should not be assumed to be working or available sadly. Assuming you have home charging you can charge up at home a lot for the price of the subscription. For long trips using Polar Rapid chargers can work out cheaper, but even then Polars PAYG rates are fine if you only rarely do longer trips. I would be tempted to say just use PAYG for a while to see if subscription is right for your use. Free 7kw slow Podpoint posts at Tescos are available in a lot of places with no subscription as an option as well. Hope I am not being to basic with this information but its hard to tell a new owners extent of knowledge. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Considering that they only have installations at three locations in the UK, I personally think that anybody paying the monthly subscription must be bonkers (unless they do numerous trips across Europe).
Supposedly Ionity are expecting to install at 40 sites in the UK this year!!

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well one of our key destinations annually is Morecambe (near Lancaster) - the only 50kw chargers we can use will be pretty much Polar at the new M6 junction site, so we'll be needing a card or to pay as we go there for that. Otherwise having checked zap-map we have some long waits for charging as part of the trip (it's near 350 miles form home to that site, so we already have to stop-en-route, and theres no option to even granny charge at the final destination). But as we usually visit the area 2-3 times a year, we'll need a "reliable" 50kw charge (or more) - to cover our usage in the area. My work also uses Polar for their "free" chargers - so I'll kinda need a card regardless, as although I can get to/from work on a charge, not paying for half my usage is attractive (work is 126 miles from home hence why getting an EV in first place).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well one of our key destinations annually is Morecambe (near Lancaster) - the only 50kw chargers we can use will be pretty much Polar at the new M6 junction site, so we'll be needing a card or to pay as we go there for that. Otherwise having checked zap-map we have some long waits for charging as part of the trip (it's near 350 miles form home to that site, so we already have to stop-en-route, and theres no option to even granny charge at the final destination). But as we usually visit the area 2-3 times a year, we'll need a "reliable" 50kw charge (or more) - to cover our usage in the area. My work also uses Polar for their "free" chargers - so I'll kinda need a card regardless, as although I can get to/from work on a charge, not paying for half my usage is attractive (work is 126 miles from home hence why getting an EV in first place).
There are a few Polar 7kW posts around Morecambe area now, so if you're parking in town, you can get a reasonable charge over a few hours there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have an account with them and pay 5euro a month.

It's 33c payg (they did offer 1year free back in November)
Went for the offer, so it's 29c for me.
You're correct with the 33c pay as you go, if you didn't avail of the offer.

I'll be moving to the 33c after the year is up as I don't use public charging very often due to the fact that I have free charging at work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its an odd proposition for an average person with home charging. Assuming you only ever used Ionity on longer trips you would need to use over 650kw a year just to break even with paying the monthly costs againest just paying the 69p. Considering you have 250 miles in the car when you set off most owners of partner cars are never going to reach 650kw in a year. I could sort of understand if the partner manufacturers cars just got the card with the car free and then the lower rate when using them. Similar to Teslas supercharger access. Oh well, lets see how this pans out.
I agree with you, let’s wait and see! My feelings are that none of these car manufacturers have got any Idea and can’t get their board room heads around EVs. That is except Tesla, who as we know set the charge points up first and are the industries gold standard, I just can’t afford the model Y when it arrives in the U.K.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts