Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered an eNiro from our local dealer last Autumn and understood delivery would take place within the first 6 months of this year.
Contacted dealer this week to enquire whether that delivery window still stands and discovered the dealership was closed until further notice - not a great surprise although I had expected there might be some ‘working from home’
A contact number directed me to a Kia central enquiries email address who have responded that ALL Kia dealers are closed indefinitely.
In response to my question ‘Are vehicles still arriving in country?’ I was told my enquiry would be forwarded to the relevant dealership who would respond when they reopened! (A yes or no might have helped!)
So if vehicles ARE arriving but Kia UK are closed - where are they going? And when the current situation ends are dealers going to be faced with a sudden glut of cars to pdi and deliver (at short notice!) to customers?

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
So if vehicles ARE arriving but Kia UK are closed - where are they going?
To storage - often a field somewhere, though as our car plants are shut down there's probably space for them at the docks.

And when the current situation ends are dealers going to be faced with a sudden glut of cars to pdi and deliver (at short notice!) to customers?
Possibly. But a lot of buyers may be cash strapped by then and won't want them immediately if ever.
Have a guess - no-one knows how this will pan out yet.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Possibly. But a lot of buyers may be cash strapped by then and won't want them immediately if ever.
Have a guess - no-one knows how this will pan out yet.
Yes it's difficult to guess where the market will go. Queue speculation...
A short term delivery backlog looks likely for deliveries that didn't happen in the last month.
Few cars being made and no one buying them suggests there will be short supply and pent up demand. But then the economic turmoil and uncertainty will be likely to really hit demand.
Could also be other effects. Maybe people will take a liking to being able to breathe cleaner air and shun ICE. Maybe forcing people to start working from home will mean many now see benefits of remote working and will change behaviour after the crisis to reduce travel. I am cynical about both of those ideas but we can hope.
There could then be a shortage of supply of some vehicles maybe a glut of others. Sadly probably a glut of less desirable vehicles and a dearth of more desirable cars, but maybe what's desirable will also change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for response - confirmation ‘nobody knows’?
Odd that with a claimed 3000 order backlog (and that’s just for one model) that instead of monitoring the situation and keeping all those customers updated that Kia UK instead chose to ‘go home’! Indeed it could probably have been done from home.
I’ve seen posts referring to tracking delivery vessels by name - where are they getting this information from?
M

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I’ve seen posts referring to tracking delivery vessels by name - where are they getting this information from?
There are at least a couple of ship tracking websites - same thing as flight tracking ones. All the larger vessels have AIS (I think) transponders/transmitters. The information is sometimes delayed or hidden for security reasons, such as in the west Indian Ocean what piracy is a problem. Some ports also have more detailed info on local movements and alongside locations.
But the hardest thing to know is often which ship your car is actually on.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I got an email from my dealer saying all deliveries suspended until further notice and that the dealership is now closed. Presumably they will email again when they reopen.

Storing EVs in not good. Storing any car is not good but even less so with an EV unless the battery is in the right state of charge and at the right temperature. I suppose a new car should have a sensible storage charge but you never know... it might be that this first batch of cars delivered after the lockdown ends could have batteries in a less than perfect condition. Just a guess but it is making me wonder whether I might be better off cancelling my order until I can be sure of getting one fresh off the production line... or am I being too fussy?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/QUOTE]

First you need to know the name of the ship!

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
First you need to know the name of the ship!
[/QUOTE]
Er ... Yes?
That's usually the thing they'd tell you. Like - "Your car is on Global Pandemic leaving Shanghai on 1 Jan 2020".
Without that you can only guess, though it can be narrowed down a bit as each car company generally uses specific lines for shipping. So knowing when it's due in the country can suggest a specific ship.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,627 Posts
Our local Kia dealer informed me that our Soul had arrived in the UK and wouldnt be brought to the dealers because the transporters were not running at present. Missed out on delivery by 2 days, which was annoying. Just how long until it is ready for collection is anyones guess, not to mention whether we will go ahead. Part exchange price will have to be the same, as we were promised, or its a no.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You get car when it comes. Dealers are closed.
Enjoy it when you get it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Our local Kia dealer informed me that our Soul had arrived in the UK and wouldnt be brought to the dealers because the transporters were not running at present. Missed out on delivery by 2 days, which was annoying. Just how long until it is ready for collection is anyones guess, not to mention whether we will go ahead. Part exchange price will have to be the same, as we were promised, or its a no.
Pretty much the same for me, I would think it likely our cars were on the same ship :)
I was told that at some point "Kia Central" would be in touch about the delivery, eg potentially before the dealers opened up again.
Mine is simpler than yours, no PEX so should in theory be easier for them to arrange.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Internet hasn’t revealed anything more on situation re Korea - UK deliveries, but I’m maybe asking the wrong questions!
Interesting point on p/ex prices. Mine was yet to be confirmed but had planned to use my notice period to sell current vehicle privately - lack of advance notice will make that tricky!
Could influence our decision to proceed

·
Registered
943 Posts
Internet hasn’t revealed anything more on situation re Korea - UK deliveries, but I’m maybe asking the wrong questions!
Interesting point on p/ex prices. Mine was yet to be confirmed but had planned to use my notice period to sell current vehicle privately - lack of advance notice will make that tricky!
Could influence our decision to proceed
Don't think too many people be knocking down your door to buy any car at moment.

Not great time to sell any thing.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Interesting point on p/ex prices.
Slightly related. I part exed my Zoe for an MG on 2nd March. The garage (Budgens, Telford) put it on Autotrader with about £5k markup. Autotrader said it was about £850 above average price. I favourited the ad and am keeping an I on it. The price has stayed the same (no dealers at work), but the above average price has moved to £1269. Values of used cars must be dropping. That may effect your p/x price. Time to be making grumbling noises about quoted p/x offers, me thinks.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Im not sure how I feel about my Leaf 30 purchase now JUST before the lockdown. Im annoyed that I cpossibly paid top £ for a car that may drop in price, however I am sure the banks would not have given me the loan I use to pay for it at this time either, so its as broad as it is long I guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the comments (haven't figured out how to ‘quote’)
I’m sure you’re absolutely right about used car market - not good at all. Hence it may influence our decision to proceed.
The deposit when I ordered was £500 which is completely refundable.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I’m sure you’re absolutely right about used car market - not good at all. Hence it may influence our decision to proceed.
Wait and see. It's likely a lot of people will cancel new cars, in which case they may have a pile of them to shift despite production being paused. So they might still offer you a decent deal on your px, if only for some cash flow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts