Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my 2018 in March and only have 2000 km on it, yet battery health reported by Leafspy is steadily declining. It was at 99.8% when new and now already dropped to 98.8%. Seems very fast, no?
Also Hx value is at 110%, does this seem normal? I live in pacific NW, moderate climate, never too hot and never use fast chargers. Usually L1 charge at home or L2 at work with city commuting 95% of the time. Trying to never charge to 100% and never drop below 20%.
Anyone has any insight? I am a little concerned about battery health.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
They aren’t exact. Mine was at 99.5 when I bought it and it went down to 98.6. This last Monday it was back at 99.5. Not sure how it’s calculated.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It varies up and down by as much as 5% in normal use. It's a guess.

If you rapid charge it and spend a day's driving accelerating at full throttle and using max regen at every opportunity, it will go back up a bit.

If you spend a week driving very gently, it will go down a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip, I’ll try to play with it and see what happens. So far it was just steady decline and if this trajectory continues I will loose 10% in first year. Not cool.

Anyone with higher mileage and LeafSpy cares to chime in regarding their current SOH?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I’ll try to play with it and see what happens. So far it was just steady decline and if this trajectory continues I will loose 10% in first year. Not cool.

Anyone with higher mileage and LeafSpy cares to chime in regarding their current SOH?
Mileage doesn't seem to have much effect on SOH, but age does. Our 2011 Leaf has only done 30k, but it's down to 78% SOH. It hasn't changed in the last year. It seems batteries degrade quickly when new, but the degradation slows down as they age.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I sold a December 2013 Acenta with 50,000 miles and about 90% SOH in March this year. It varied between 88%-93%.

Reactions: Mikel Gonzalez

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks guys.
I guess we will have to wait a bit longer for 2018 Leaf2 stats to show up. They may not align with older models exactly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another question: Is trickle charging on a regular basis considered bad for the battery ?
Owners manual says: Trickle charging is not recommended for regular use because it takes more time than normal charging.
Are there any considerations other than convenience? For our usage we are perfectly happy using trickle charging, but i will install drier plug if it means prolonging life of battery.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another question: Is trickle charging on a regular basis considered bad for the battery ?
Owners manual says: Trickle charging is not recommended for regular use because it takes more time than normal charging.
Are there any considerations other than convenience? For our usage we are perfectly happy using trickle charging, but i will install drier plug if it means prolonging life of battery.
Trickle charge = The granny charger.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It won't hurt the battery but it is inefficient. You probably throw away 5% of your charging power by using the granny cable vs the full rated capacity of the vehicle's charger.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'd guess it is at least 5%.

Throttling back from 6.6kW to 2.2kW is going to cost. I'd guess it will be 10% or even more. No way to know without measuring it.
I measured 90% efficient on my LEAF 24 at the rated 16A, 85% at 10A. Was pleasantly surprised the granny cable wasn't worse, as it is on Zoes.

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
I measured 90% efficient on my LEAF 24 at the rated 16A,
That is with the 3.6kW charger. The 6.6kW should be less efficient at 10Amps.

A Zoe is so bad on a granny because full power is 63A or 32A. Switching losses are going to be high at 10Amps.

·
Registered
678 Posts
99.15% after 3500 miles (racked up in 2.5 months). A fair number of rapid charges, lots of motorway driving, (and none of the problems being hyped up by people who have never even driven a new Leaf on the "rapidgate" thread.

If degradation was linear and these figures are accurate you might predict 87%ish after three years and 52500 miles. However it isn't; in a simple battery it starts off steeper, slows for a very long period and finally collapses as a battery dies (I'm not sure whether this stage has ever been reached with an EV)... And the leaf battery management system is far from a dumb lithium ion cell.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
This is my most recent record.
When I charge at home it is always to 100%, but not every day. I have on one occasion taken it down to 0.5kWh remaining according to LeafSpy. The car just said that it was —-% for about 12 miles.

2DE989E0-D53D-4E3C-A038-CE0BC1642A18.png

Reactions: rjo103

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My latest stats:
6805 km
SOH 96.61 %
Ahr 111.53
Hx 115.01
Prior to August i noticed that SOH was going down at steady 0.01% per day rate. I even thought that it must be just built in counter and not real calculated value. But after one longish trip (270 km) with one rapid charge SOH dropped almost 2% overnight. Really not impressed so far as battery lost 3.5% capacity in 5 months.
BTW i am yet to see up-down fluctuations, it's been steady down so far. I think it might be a bit of a myth.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
my 2011 is 7 years and 6 moths old since being registered. Its SOH according to LeafSpy is 74%. Now as we all know degradation does not scale linear, however its been at 74% for about a year now, so if you take the 26% and divide it by 7 years you get 3.7% degradation per year (lets call it 4% to be fair). I know I have calculated linearly for this thought process.

Lets also say that the car is unusable when it does less than 50 miles per charge, this is likely to be much lower in the real world, also we assume (which one should never do I grant you) that a Gen1 leaf out of the factory only does 85 miles - I have seen more and seen less but a reasonable figure I think is 85, so with 26% degradation you would expect to see 62.9 miles - and that's about what I am getting on a 7 year car. To reach a maximum of 50 miles the battery would need to degrade to 60%.

Given 4% degradation per year it would take 10 years. That's why they offered 5 years later extended to 8 years (for other cars) on the battery and why I am not overly concerned with the numbers generated by LeafSpy (although I do monitor it simply because I am interested).
This is based on my a 24kWh leaf.
Owners should not be concerned to much by what LeafSpy reports, better to run the battery low and check for weak cells - that's of far more importance IMO YMMV.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts