Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some reports of Ecotricity Electric Highway rapid chargers restricting the charge to no more than 80%

When I first heard this I imagined that someone had misuderstood the way the rapid chargers work... specifically... until now all the rapid chargers I have used have always stopped charging at a level depending on the state of the battery when starting the charge. If the car was under 50% then it would stop at 80% - presumably to prevent it charging past 80% without the owner knowing. If it was over 50% at the start then it went on to 100% without interruption.

I seems that this may have been changed without anyone being notified. Some drivers are reporting they can't charge past 80% under any circumstances.

For the life of me I can't see this as a benefit to Nissan or anyone else and so I am assuming it is an error perhaps in the charging station setup.

So far Nissan have not responded to our requests for more info.

As one of the very first Leaf owners in the UK I can't believe this story... I believe it is happening because there are youtube vids showing it! No, I can't believe this is by design.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:

Nisssan have just now confirmed via Twitter that they did not request the chargers set to 80% max and that they are looking into it all further.

This is great news as it confirms that perhaps this is some kind of human error or communication mix up.

PHEW!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Report from Transport Evolved...

http://transportevolved.com/2013/11/05/uk-chademo-quick-charge-stations-are-they-really-restricted-to-80-percent/

In my opinion this report doesn't really add much that we didn't already know but it does confirm that Nissan has not requested any charging limits.

Remember... when using CHAdeMO chargers... make sure car is OFF before starting charge, don't select any specific charge limit by just selecting the standard charge, if you want more than the 80% then when the charger stops make sure car is still off and then just restart using a standard charge. Simples!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts