Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering whether the older 2014 PHEVs available second hand are a good buy?

I love the idea reducing my carbon footprint, but I still need a decent-sized SUV.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's something I've been considering too and I'd be interested in others experience. While I have a reservation for the MG ZS EV, I do question the wisdom of spending £24,000 on a car that will likely depreciate heavily vs say a 2016 4h with 50K on the clock that will cost under 16,000 by this time next July when our Soul goes back. Due to charging options for both me and the wife at work, the 20-25 mile EV range would cover both of us fine in our commutes, and £8,000 buys a lot of petrol, especially when I factor only 20-25% of my annual miles would need to use the ICE (this allows for a few longer trips for holidays and those outside of the 80 mile range of our Leaf).

It may be a better play to buy an Outlander and keep it for the next 2-3 years and see where full EVs are then. As much as I'm fully sold on EVs I don't want to financially cut my nose off to spite my face.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It may be a better play to buy an Outlander and keep it for the next 2-3 years and see where full EVs are then.
I think that's good logic. Re the OP's question, it's probably worth looking at a slightly later model due to the longer warranty. I bought my PHEV at just under 50,000 miles, and in 3-5 years time I will think again about perhaps buying a BEV. The cars are there, but the charging infrastructure is not yet good enough.

·
868 Posts
Absolutely. While I hate the central argument about going EV being only about the money, an older PHEV will score well on EV miles per £1k of depreciation. (Plus what @ringi said.)

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
108 Posts
We've had our PHEV for just over 4 years (in Australia) and overall it has met our requirements well. You need to consider what percentage of your trips will be within the range of a 2nd hand PHEV (which is less than the range of a new PHEV). I'd factor on a 25-30km range in winter as range is significantly less due to heating requirements in UK. Heating is not so bad in Australia, we just use the PHEV seat warmers most of the time.
There are quite a few PHEV in Australia showing greater battery degradation than promised, we were told "less than 20% over the life of the PHEV" (life = 10 years according to Mitsubishi) however that may be due to our hotter climate or storing some PHEV here in Australia for an extended period of time before selling them. Overseas PHEV are not showing the same scale of battery issues. Mitsubishi in Australia are replacing our batteries under warranty.
The bottom line is - what would an equivalent ICE car cost, what is your price of electricity, and convenience of charging at home. The PHEV is a highly complex vehicle and I'm stunned how reliable they are, with very few faults showing up worldwide other than our battery degradation problem in Australia. However I'm not sure they will be easy to fix in 5 or 10 years time at your local mechanic, as the hybrid drivetrain and multiple ECU to control it make it more susceptible to issues than a fully electric BEV.
Test drive one, as they are a lovely SUV to drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a secondhand Outlander PHEV 4h in June 2016.
Apart from the range dropping from around 30 miles then to about 22 to 24 now, it has worked well until just recently when the AC and heating stopped working. The system appears to be on, but the air coming from the vents is neither cold or hot - just ambient temperature. The local garage has a 6 week waiting period for a service slot! (Pentagon in Lincoln).
In general, however, I've been very pleased with it - whether towing a caravan or a trailer, running down very cheaply and without CO2 into town on electric, or going on the longer journeys at a respectable miles per gallon because of the regeneration. It is as the dealer described it "a competent vehicle". Good in the snow when we came through a blizzard as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts