Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a deposit down on the new MG, which doesn't come with a type 2 cable. Do I need one for public charge points, or are they always tethered?

And, as an aside, why are the cables so expensive for a bit of flex and a couple of plugs? Seems extortionate to me.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Speaking from a Scottish perspective, all public chargepoints are type 2 sockets with only a few exceptions:-
1/ Tesla destination
2/ Rapid DC chargers which if triple headed, also have a type two tethered.

Can't imagine any serious BEV driver would NOT own a type 2 charging cable.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You will need a type 2 cable for all fast 7kw public chargers

Only 50kw and above Rapids come with tethered cables

Just MG cheaping out and seeing it as an easy way to make a few quid. Cheaper options available online

·
Registered
442 Posts
And, as an aside, why are the cables so expensive for a bit of flex and a couple of plugs? Seems extortionate to me.
They do seem overpriced , but you are comparing mass-market (crappy connectors)
with typically < 2 kW use, with a smaller market, up to 22 kW, reliable use case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all - it sounds like it might be worth getting an untethered charge point then and just using the same cable at home and away?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could get a Chargepoint at home that has a tethered cable. It saves any faffing about in the rain trying to plug in or unplug and then store the wet cable in the car. It is slightly more expensive but will be way more convenient if you can.
Yeah .. but if I need to buy a type 2 cable anyway, it's more expensive. And I expect I'll store the cable at home most of the time, I'd only put it in the car if we were planning a longer journey, so the wet cable wouldn't be a big issue.

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
Thanks all - it sounds like it might be worth getting an untethered charge point then and just using the same cable at home and away?
Scenario A - You get home, it is raining and the cable is in the boot, so you get very wet getting it out, untangling it and plugging in. Or you say "I will do later" then forget and don't have enough range when you leave the next day.

Scenario B - You are in rush to leave one morning so unplug and decide "I won't need the cable today". Later you get a call to go somewhere for meeting and find they have a free charging point, but you have no cable. As it wasn't a planned visit, you don't have enough range so have to stop on way home to get a rapid charge and pay.

After 7 years of owning EVs I recommend a tethered charging point at home and a decent length public charging cable - at least 7 meters is my suggestion. And charge every night (within reason) so you have range for the unplanned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scenario A - You get home, it is raining and the cable is in the boot, so you get very wet getting it out, untangling it and plugging in. Or you say "I will do later" then forget and don't have enough range when you leave the next day.
That's possible, but I'm guessing the number of times I'd take the lead is fewer than once a month, so it's unlikely. Mostly I'm expecting to leave the lead in the house.

Scenario B - You are in rush to leave one morning so unplug and decide "I won't need the cable today". Later you get a call to go somewhere for meeting and find they have a free charging point, but you have no cable. As it wasn't a planned visit, you don't have enough range so have to stop on way home to get a rapid charge and pay.
Rather assumes I'm driving to work every day, and I have a job for which I might need to drive to meetings, both of which I don't!

After 7 years of owning EVs I recommend a tethered charging point at home and a decent length public charging cable - at least 7 meters is my suggestion. And charge every night (within reason) so you have range for the unplanned.
Thanks - it's useful advice, and I'm still in two minds about it. Clearly your use-case for a car is different to mine! I expect we'll only need to charge it one night a week, as we barely do 20-30 miles Monday-Friday most weeks

One question though - why such a long cable? Most seem to be 5m, which is longer than the car. Are charge points often that hard to reach?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A cable at £150 is what proportion of say even the deposit you paid?
30%, but I don't see that that's relevant.

A normal 13A 5m extension lead is available for less than £10. A type 2 7Kw lead only needs to be 3 times that. Add a bit for more solid connectors, I still fail to see how it should cost more than £50. It's not that I can't afford it, I just don't like being taken for a ride on accessories - and for EVs to become more mass-market, this sort of thing will need to come down.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts

• 30%, but I don't see that that's relevant.

A normal 13A 5m extension lead is available for less than £10. A type 2 7Kw lead only needs to be 3 times that. Add a bit for more solid connectors, I still fail to see how it should cost more than £50. It's not that I can't afford it, I just don't like being taken for a ride on accessories - and for EVs to become more mass-market, this sort of thing will need to come down.
    If your personal valuation of a charging lead is £50, then of course you are free to purchase one at that price ( or not) 😆

·
Registered
136 Posts
You could get a Chargepoint at home that has a tethered cable. It saves any faffing about in the rain trying to plug in or unplug and then store the wet cable in the car. It is slightly more expensive but will be way more convenient if you can.
But it also attracts attention if it can be seen

·
Registered
136 Posts

You could always order a different EV one that's supplied with a lead:eek:

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
One question though - why such a long cable? Most seem to be 5m, which is longer than the car. Are charge points often that hard to reach?.
With the charging socket at front you may find yourself needing to run a cable from charging point at back of car. I find that with Zoe often as parking the wrong way around isn't always feasible (especially one way streets in London). You need longer than car to reach post, etc.

·
Registered
590 Posts

EV charging leads are made to withstand 32A continuously for say 10 hours.
If you put 13A down a UK extension lead you will find it gets very hot indeed. Most of them can barely do 10A continuously, let alone if the connectors are cycled hundreds of times.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That's how I did it from late 2017........... untethered home charge point, leave cable on the charger, take it when needed.

A few months ago, I got fed up with having to plan for using the cable. So I waited in SpeakEV classified then bought a cheap second hand cable to keep in the car.

There had been times I was thinking "wish I had taken the cable"

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
EV charging leads are made to withstand 32A continuously for say 10 hours.
If you put 13A down a UK extension lead you will find it gets very hot indeed. Most of them can barely do 10A continuously, let alone if the connectors are cycled hundreds of times.
Tom, agree with your points. If the cheapskate is objecting to the cost, why doesn't he just try plugging in his £10 extension directly into the car and see if that works🤪

1 - 20 of 24 Posts