Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't charge away from home much so not that familiar with what's out there, but was curious about the actual impact of the Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Regulations 2017

Guidance doc :

The TL;DR of which is that all new public chargepoints, and all existing chargepoints (After Nov 2018) must provide ad-hoc access without the need for cards, pre-registration or subscriptions.

The guidance document lists examples of acceptable ad-hoc access provisions :
  • Cash payment at the recharging point or within close vicinity of the recharging point such as
    paying inside a recharging station.
  • Online payment through webpage payment platform or mobile phone app that does not require prior registration to access the recharging point such as a guest payment option to ‘pay as you
    go’.
  • Credit or debit card payment - chip and PIN or contactless using a terminal at the recharging
    point, or within close vicinity of the recharging point such as paying inside a recharging station.
  • Payment by phone or a text solution provided prior registration/holding of credit card details is
  • not required
The only exceptions being those intended for exclusive use in respect of a vehicle produced by a specific car manufacturer (i.e.Tesla) or people engaged in specific occupations. (i.e. taxis)

The maximum penalties for noncompliance being £1000 per charge point after failure to act on a notice to comply.

Is it now the case that all UK public chargepoints have Ad-Hoc access (Since Nov 2018) ?
If not, has any action ever been taken against any charge networks?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not for podpoint… and please let’s not give Genie credit when it’s ‘compliant’ but far from obvious!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Actually I don’t mind the podpoint app - as it usually works - and despite having made several paid for charges it’s never charged me 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have almost exclusively used pod point chargers when out and about and have found the app pretty decent and functional. Compared with one I tried last week (hubsta) which took me ages to register, setup something called a "contract" and fail to start the charge three times.

Back on topic though... I suspect they comply as they don't require "prior" registration to use the free ones. You can register and start charging immediately. Guess it depends how you determine the prior bit!

The pod point DC charger at my local Tesco also has a contactless card reader installed so that would comply.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Back on topic though... I suspect they comply as they don't require "prior" registration to use the free ones. You can register and start charging immediately. Guess it depends how you determine the prior bit!
I read it as you don't need to register at all to start charging.
Pod-Point are probably OK because they have a 15 minute grace period - so technically it starts charging without registering. If you want more than 15 minutes you have to register or disconnect/reconnect.
I think this complies with the letter rather than the spirit of the regulations!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Pod point excellent

Bp pulse rubbish!!

Not ever used a public point that takes contact less yet - but I dont charge out and about much these days as have charging at work.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
763 Posts
I'm a bit staggered that the regulations are so lax!

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,338 Posts
I intentionally avoid chargers that won't take a credit/debit card. I don't need an app or membership scheme for ICE fuels an would much prefer the future infrastructure for charging to be simple, open and reliable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I read it as you don't need to register at all to start charging.
Pod-Point are probably OK because they have a 15 minute grace period - so technically it starts charging without registering. If you want more than 15 minutes you have to register or disconnect/reconnect.
I think this complies with the letter rather than the spirit of the regulations!
Podpoint also have a no register website which gets them through that loophole. This is needed on their rapids for example which don’t have the free 15min.

a loophole needing closing to be honest - contactless everywhere!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just signed out of the pod point app and it looks like it still gives me to button to confirm a charge. Will give it a try next time!
Pod Point app has a habit of signing you out of the app, leaving you scrabbling around for a password to recover your pre-pay balance in the rain.
Then if you do need to sign in again, then once you've signed in again, it won't let you charge, you need to force quit the app and then restart it, then it will let you charge.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,864 Posts
I have a sneaking feeling that the loophole was introduced after a bit of lobbying during the development of the legislation.

Maybe a nod from a Tory party donor?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Compared with one I tried last week (hubsta) which took me ages to register, setup something called a "contract" and fail to start the charge three times.
Without wanting to derail the thread, how on earth did you even manage to set up a contract? I Keep getting the thing to make a contract and all it asks for it the name then nothing more. Unable to provide payment details or anything like that, so obviously can't get it to start a charge.

I resorted to using another card and roaming onto their network instead, but that comes at an increased cost.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,472 Posts
Hubsta are completely inept. Had bother when I tried to get the app to work 2 years ago. Couldn't go to a few places as they're the only charge providers. Now they're on electric juice it's possible. Would still put them at the bottom of the list below geniepoint.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Pod Point app has a habit of signing you out of the app, leaving you scrabbling around for a password to recover your pre-pay balance in the rain.
Then if you do need to sign in again, then once you've signed in again, it won't let you charge, you need to force quit the app and then restart it, then it will let you charge.
Frankly for such 'advanced' technology as an EV it's utterly embarrassing that these apps do not support fingerprint/face ID/etc that modern phones support -- and further they don't support Apple Pay or Google Pay or whatever is used nowadays to process the actual transactions, with you having to dig through your wallet to find a card on every...new...app. Sigh.

I can sign into my bank account and pay up to £10,000 to a named contact with my fingerprint but I cannot buy £3 of juice for my car.

When Joe Public tries EV charging for the first time, it's going to be, er... Interesting. I have a feeling with e-208 / e-Corsa / 500e / VW ID3 becoming more 'mainstream' EVs that we're going to see a lot more complaints on these forums and in the general media over the sorry state of the apps, let alone the charging infrastructure itself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a sneaking feeling that the loophole was introduced after a bit of lobbying during the development of the legislation.

Maybe a nod from a Tory party donor?
Pressure from existing suppliers like podpoint I guess who want to get the benefits of having people download their app (data) so barely complying. No doubt they will all end up contactless but podpoint etc want to delay as long as possible to protect their existing investment and market position.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts