1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Link doesn’t work for me. Herein lies the problem, introduce a law that some people don’t want to abide by and only the law abiding comply. Force everyone to comply and only the non law abiding but vocal minority complain, nobody else gives a hoot.

I’ve always found it bizarre that any car sold in the UK should be capable of driving at over 70mph. They should all be restricted like mopeds and anyone caught driving on a public highway in a derestricted vehicle ought to see it crushed. Discuss!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
2019 BMW i3 120Ah
1,613 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
2019 BMW i3 120Ah
1,613 Posts
A previous car of mine didn't have any form of cruise control, but did have a (manually set) speed limiter function. I really liked it. I got into the habit of, every time I entered a different speed limit zone, quickly setting the limiter to match the speed limit. I found it really nice to have in all urban settings where you could accelerate briskly if required without having to have an eye on the speedo. Of course, if needed for whatever reason it could be easily overridden by fully depressing the accelerator pedal.

I think it's a good idea in principle. My main concern is surrounding the quality of data fed into the speed limiter. Anyone with a car with traffic sign display, or who just uses Waze etc, will know that displayed speed limits quite frequently aren't correct.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Bill N - I agree with both points. So one of the suggestions is just to automate that process with the car's speed limiter being set each time the speed limit changes. The Devil will be in the detail with how the speed is measured (my LEAF's speedo under-reads by 11% vs GPS) and who controls the speed limit data.
On a Trunk road near to me in a delimited section (hence 60 MPH) there are a pair of bends on a hill. A lorry driver had a single vehicle fatal accident heading up the hill at the second of the bends, which a local Councillor decided was due to excess speed and demanded a 30 MPH speed limit (not recommendation) be applied to the whole stretch. He ignored the fact that it was not possible, even in a powerful car let alone a lorry, to make the first sharper bend and then gain enough speed going uphill to be too fast at the second bend. Highways England rejected the request for a lower limit but that limit now appears on Sat Navs (Google, Wave etc.) even though the physical signage on the road still indicates derestricted. Despite requests to both Google and Wave they have failed to correct it. Being faced with having to override the speed limiter or worse have a blinking light and buzzer on the dashboard due to an error like that would be extremely galling, particularly when it was due to the irrational actions of a misguided local politician.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
You are right, there would have to be an agreed irrefutable data source for all applicable speed limits that could not be interfered with. But since that is government (in its various manifestations), it shouldn’t be hard to do and maintain. As for the cost of doing it, well there arguably would no longer be a need to waste huge amounts of money and resources putting up repetitive speed limit signage every 5 yards so it should be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see the legal claims now - I wasn't speeding deliberately but the car allowed it which means that it was either the car manufacturers fault or the Government's data or a communication error between the car and the database. I suspect that we'll have to retain the physical indications for a long time yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts