Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the lockdown, excluding missing traffic volumes for jams etc, are we UK wide, and maybe world wide, getting a glimse of 2050 (or sooner) when BEV's are the main form of transport and there is a huge reduction in traffic pollution, ICE noise pollution, and demand destruction in the need and price of oil? There is what currently, 10% of the normal ICE road traffic, which is pretty much the target via the 2035 new sales ban.

Any Anecdotals of local City pollution levels dropping or reduction of ICE engine noise from those living close to highways / motways / duel carriageways? Other changes from lack of ICE on the roads.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Most of the noise from motorways, and I'd think most roads with speeds more than 30mph, is from tyres, so that's going to be there anyway.

Biggest difference I'm seeing is it's a doddle to get across main roads on foot at present. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Undoubtedly pollution levels have dropped significantly during lock down.
There are still built up areas at unhealthy levels of pollution today.
Today’s weather would have made a difference.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Massive difference in reduced noise and pollution, the air smells much better with the absence of petrol fumes and diesel particulates in heavily polluted Lancaster and the views across Morecambe Bay to the Lake District are spectacular! The Bay appears to have far more wind turbines that I have ever noticed before, an optical allusion because you can see so far out! Absence of aircraft contrails in blue sky is also very noticeable, apparently we are back to levels of traffic not seen since the 1950's when there were only 3 million vehicles unlike now when there are 32 million.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I really notice any aircraft noise now. It’s a surprise when a plane passes over and disturbs the peace.
As @Rooster-x says the lack of contrails is very noticeable.
But I thought Contrails were caused by the Illuminati spraying chemtrails - surely they will be unaffected by a lockdown of the plebs?

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,627 Posts
I really notice any aircraft noise now. It’s a surprise when a plane passes over and disturbs the peace.
As @Rooster-x says the lack of contrails is very noticeable.
I think you might enjoy the peace for some time. Assuming flights start again I cant see that many folks taking flights until Covid 19 is long gone.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
I think you might enjoy the peace for some time. Assuming flights start again I cant see that many folks taking flights until Covid 19 is long gone.
At our monthly global work meeting we all agreed most people weren’t travelling internationally until October at the earliest.

Our next planned conference is in December, but even that is under review.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,491 Posts
Biggest difference I'm seeing is it's a doddle to get across main roads on foot at present. :)
..providing there's no copper there waiting to accost you and ask you why you are there at all.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
While driving the other day in Newbury (I had been to the local retail park to collect meds!) I was at the top of a hill looking across to the hills to the North and was surprised at the amount of haze over the valley. I half expected it to be crystal-clear, since I imagine the M4 is pretty much shut down now (not been near there recently, of course).

Hmm. Current webcam view as at time of posting (or it might be live when you view it):

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have been out every day this on my Electric bike, I would imagine it’s like cycling in the 1930’s no fumes, what cars there are giving you a wider berth, in case they knock you off, then they would have to account why they are out. Having to stick to the roads my normal cycle paths are too congested with of dog walkers.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,491 Posts
While driving the other day in Newbury (I had been to the local retail park to collect meds!) I was at the top of a hill looking across to the hills to the North and was surprised at the amount of haze over the valley. I half expected it to be crystal-clear, since I imagine the M4 is pretty much shut down now (not been near there recently, of course).

Hmm. Current webcam view as at time of posting (or it might be live when you view it):

What makes you think the haze you usually see is man-made?

Will that be all the brain-washing you have received about how terrible and toxic cars are?

Lower level haze from water vapour and aerosols from biota is usually high this time of year, as the ground gets warmed well by the Sun but the higher levels are still relatively cold.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Does riding an electric bike count as exercise? :) (Actually, it's something I might consider investing in some time...)
I have had problems with my left knee, so have have to be careful not to over do it pedalling up hill. With an electric bike you still have to pedal quite hard but helps when going up hill or against a wind, you can adjust the settings to adjust the level of assistance.

An electric bike allows you to keep cycling and get moderate exercise when reoccurring injury would necessitate giving up normal cycling.

you have to have the pedals turning on an electric bike to engage the motor, they are not twist and go, they are banned under EU law. Perhaps that might be reviewed now we are out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts